Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DSC Module Reset

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 10:57 AM
jkb
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DSC Module Reset

I have a 2002 S-Type 4.0 that had a leaking valve cover gasket, which turned out to be a broken valve cover. I replaced the valve cover and gasket but the DSC module with the Lateral Accelerometer and Yaw control were in my tool box for a couple months. When I reinstalled everything I had a flashing DSC Light on the dash which never cleared. I assumed that the ABS and Lateral Accelerometer needed to be recalibrated. I purchased the Autoeniguity Enhanced package. The only codes showing under the ABS System was U1243 SCP (J1850) Invalid or Missing Data for Exterior Environment and C1287 Booster Pedal Force Switch-Circuit Failure. I know when I reinstalled everything my booster switch connection was not seated so I assumed that this error code was from that. I reset the codes and now only the U1243 shows. I tried to recalibrate using the AE software but none of the On Board Test show up on the AE Software. I've contact AE but they do not know why I can’t see any calibration on any of the systems. I'm stuck...any ideas would be grateful.

Old 08-29-2011, 11:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,539 Likes on 3,948 Posts

I don't think I understand what you/AE mean by "see any calibration" so please explain.

I couldn't find U1243 in any jag docs for your car. Where did you find it?
I found it as a Ford code and I suppose the original S-Type was quite a bit Ford so maybe that explains it.

I didn't find it for your ABS, which I think is a Teves Mk 20 E (though I've also seen it called Mk 20 IE).

Usually U codes are "network" codes - so, to do with wiring, especially bus (comms) wiring or the interfaces to such. If it occurs all the time and immediately then I'd look for a wiring/connector problem.

I have a later car with big changes so don't know what AE looks like / does with your ABS. Can you see the individual sensors such as the wheel speed sensors?

Old 08-29-2011, 01:44 PM
jkb

I see all of the sensor and all are working properly. I don't know the base value for the Lateral Accelerometer or Yaw Rate. I think they read approx. 600 and 500 (Don't have printout with me). The U1243 code is what shows on the AE scanner.

As stated by AE you can perform the Yaw and Lateral Accelerometer calibration and reset ABS configuration on the On Board Test tab. These test do not show up on the tab. The Pull down menu does not show any test available..."none" appears in the window.

If I have connection problem, I would think that one of the sensors would show this and I thought that the falshing DSC light usually means that it needs recalibration. I get no ther codes.

Thanks, JKB

Old 08-29-2011, 02:13 PM
Veteran Member

A U code should not be about sensors or their wiring (unless you had a bus to them, which you don't). It should be network-related and in this case you only appear to have one candidate. A bit of a puzzle if it's not that.

I'm not able to help as regards AE failing to show/provide some things, and as the later cars use a different ABS controller my own car and my AE aren't any help.

You could be right about the flashing - I don't know. I just thought it meant it was disabled due to any reason that made it unhappy enough.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:18 AM
jkb

I've been corresponding with AE and have discovered that my S-Type is a 2002.5, which has different systems than a 2002. Evidently the AE software did not adjust for the mid-year model. Hopefully they can come up with a patch.

I know that I had some bad connection when I reinstalled everything and it set-off all sorts of codes and fault messages, which all cleared on their own when I corrected the poor connections, except the flashing DSC light. Do you know what ABS system the 2002.5 used? Is it the 2003 system? Thanks for your help and time looking into my puzzling issue.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:45 AM
Veteran Member

2002.5MY (here) is 2003 for you and means after VIN M45254

I think it's Teves Mk 25

It moved to the CAN bus.

I've been looking at entirely the wrong files and data for you