S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DSC Not Available.

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 06:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy DSC Not Available.

Hi, had an S type jag now for a few years and really happy with it. But just had the front brake discs and pads changed to EBC stuff and the brakes are now great but now have no traction control/ dsc. The moment I picked it up from the garage the traction control was not working (snow on ground) but ABS is. No lights come up on the dash straight away but after driving for a while they do come up saying DSC not available. When I asked the mechanic he said he didnt do anything but change the discs and pads. He did just push the brake pistons back slowly he says. Next time I start the car there are no lights on the dash to begin with but soon they will come on again. The traction control/dsc hasnt worked since. Anybody any ideas please.

Old 12-04-2010, 07:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,531 Likes on 3,941 Posts

Year? Engine? Manual/auto?

Old 12-04-2010, 08:46 AM
Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Taze1000
Hi, had an S type jag now for a few years and really happy with it. But just had the front brake discs and pads changed to EBC stuff and the brakes are now great but now have no traction control/ dsc. The moment I picked it up from the garage the traction control was not working (snow on ground) but ABS is. No lights come up on the dash straight away but after driving for a while they do come up saying DSC not available. When I asked the mechanic he said he didn't do anything but change the discs and pads. He did just push the brake pistons back slowly he says. Next time I start the car there are no lights on the dash to begin with but soon they will come on again. The traction control/dsc hasn't worked since. Anybody any ideas please.
Hi Taze,
Just a thought, that the mechanic may have disturb the senor or the wiring for the DSC system. If you can check around the front wheel area and make sure there is not a loose or unconnected wire anywhere. Also worth checking that the DSC button is engaged, as some fingers may have been playing with the control buttons etc.
Hope you find the cause soon, as in the weather we have just now it is useful to have the DSC in full working order.
Regards,
Telfer.

Last edited by InverStype; 12-04-2010 at 08:50 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Taze1000 (12-04-2010)
Old 12-04-2010, 10:14 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

One question, was anything done to the rears? As Telfer pointed out, check the front wheel sensors and wires. A flashlight and wheel off should be enough. If it all looks good and plugged in, try spraying the area of the sensors and ring with brake cleaner. Don't use anything else since it may leave a residue that could damage your brakes or the sensors. Also, check your brake fluid level.

If these simple things don't pan out I personally would ask the local dealer to run their scan tool on it and pull up any codes stored by the ABS/DSC system. Remember the basic auto parts store scanner is not going to be able to pick up the Jaguar Specific codes.

Also, if the codes/issues are a result of the work done, I would be sure to start looking for a new service center.

Taze1000 (12-04-2010)
Old 12-04-2010, 03:24 PM
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Also use compressed air to blow between the sensors and the hub ring, they are a hall sensor which is magnetic and they might have picked up some debris.

Taze1000 (12-04-2010)
Old 12-04-2010, 04:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by JOsworth
One question, was anything done to the rears? As Telfer pointed out, check the front wheel sensors and wires. A flashlight and wheel off should be enough. If it all looks good and plugged in, try spraying the area of the sensors and ring with brake cleaner. Don't use anything else since it may leave a residue that could damage your brakes or the sensors. Also, check your brake fluid level.

If these simple things don't pan out I personally would ask the local dealer to run their scan tool on it and pull up any codes stored by the ABS/DSC system. Remember the basic auto parts store scanner is not going to be able to pick up the Jaguar Specific codes.

Also, if the codes/issues are a result of the work done, I would be sure to start looking for a new service center.
....Everything you said is great, hope you dont mind me suggesting NOT using Brake Cleaner to spray on sensors and wires is not a Good thing at all!! Use "Electronic Contact Spray" which you can get at any parts store. Its much better and effective than using Brake CLeaner

Last edited by jag79; 12-04-2010 at 04:19 PM.
Old 12-04-2010, 04:22 PM

Cheers for the replies already. In reply the car is 2003, 3.0 v6 and auto. The rear brakes had the same brake disk change a while back without any problems at all. Will check around the sensors tomorrow and have a look and hopefully that’s all that will be needed. The button is ok as I tried it when I first noticed it was spinning up well and the dash said it was turning it off and on but it made no difference to the working of the DSC. Used the car tonight and it was still the same as the warning light didn’t come up on the dash for a while. Stopped and started a few times and noticed the light comes on sooner now. Makes it more fun with the weather we are having lol. Just hope the large snow fall doesn’t hit around here soon. Will keep you updated. Cheers.

Old 12-05-2010, 07:23 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by jag79
....Everything you said is great, hope you dont mind me suggesting NOT using Brake Cleaner to spray on sensors and wires is not a Good thing at all!! Use "Electronic Contact Spray" which you can get at any parts store. Its much better and effective than using Brake CLeaner
Advise taken... I've done it in the past without any adverse affects but better safe than sorry... Many thanks... Happen to have both on hand in the personal "shop".... Good thing I haven't done my brake fluid service yet..Thanks for the suggestion, will do.

Old 03-04-2011, 11:35 AM

Been a while but looks like its a sensor near the servo or thats what the garage testing it now say. Hopefully thats all it is as thats £80 alone. Cheers.