S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DSC Not Available - Amber Warning Lights

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 10:13 AM
Received 134 Likes on 5 Posts
Default DSC Not Available - Amber Warning Lights

So, I just bought a used 2003 Jaguar S-Type about 4 weeks ago. The brakes were squeaking and two amber symbols (I can't find the one that shows up on the left in the manual for some reason. It looks like a car with wavy skid marks behind it. I assume this might be the DSC symbol? There is also the amber pill light on the left next to the digital odometer screen.)
The morning I took it into the Hennessy Jaguar dealership here in Atlanta, it gave me a low brake fluid warning and the red brake warning was flickering on and off. Paid $120 diagnostic fee thinking the brakes were bad. The dealership ran their tests and filled up the brake fluid that was low. The tech. said that the brakes were new but they weren't the stock ones that Jaguar recommends. He said the brakes would be fine but they would still make the squeaking noise. He said they didn't pull up any other fault with the car. Well later that day the two amber warning lights have come back on. They appear after I have to brake suddenly (which I have to do a lot of driving here in Atlanta.) Anybody know what this might be? Should I take the car back to the Hennessy dealership?

Thanks for any help.

Old 07-12-2010, 12:53 PM
Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Well, speaking generally, where had the missing brake fluid gone? There shouldn't be anywhere for it to go, just like the cooling water. If that happened on my car suddenly, I'd be checking in depth.
Yes, take it back to the dealer, they would have, should have checked the braking system VERY carefully for leaks -- its the #1 safety issue. You can prob. have a squint yourself around the pipes and unions and calipers. With the engine running get someone to press the brake pedal as hard as they possibly can while you look around for brake fluid squirting out anywhere. I'd either not drive the car, or just very carefully back to the dealer.
Behind the pads there is usually an anti-squeal shim, but you might not be able to see it too well. Hope this helps.
Leedsman.

Old 07-12-2010, 01:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

low pads can also cause low fluids since it is a sealed system. the lack of material on the pads will lower the fluid.

Old 07-13-2010, 05:27 AM
Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

A SUDDEN drop in brake fluid level (or power steering fluid level or coolant water level) should set off alarm bells in your head. !DO NOT IGNORE SUCH A WARNING SIGN! Investigate immediately -- it could be your life at risk. Be wise before the event. Not when you're six feet under, or up the chimney.
Leedsman.

Old 07-13-2010, 06:47 AM

Yeah, the dealership acted like the brake fluid was just missed by the car dealership I bought it from. I also got an "engine malfunction" light on yesterday afternoon when leaving work. It looks like I'll have to be a little more pushy this time around. The repair guy said no fault codes came up when he scanned the car. Is that possible? Strange that I've had intermittent problems with the DSC warning light and that no code would be stored for it. Anyway, luckily I got an extended warranty when I bought the car. So if it is anything major, should only be $100 out of pocket. It's just a pain to have to work this around my schedule.

Thanks for the help everybody. I'll keep you informed of the outcome.

Old 07-13-2010, 07:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

DSC/ABS codes are mainly stored in the dedicated module for DSC. A dealer-type tool is needed to read it so maybe where you went didn't have one or didn't bother to use it properly.

There are lots of dedicated modules and the same applies to each. (Most modern cars are like this, not just jags.)

Old 07-14-2010, 08:04 AM

Took it back to the repair shop today. I found out why they didn't find anything for the DSC warning when I took it in last week-end. They didn't check for it. He said he didn't remember me ever telling him about that problem when I brought it in the first time! Anyway, now that the engine malfunction light came on also it's back to being looked at. I'll let everyone know what the diagnosis is when I find out. Again thanks for all the input!

Old 07-14-2010, 01:08 PM

Ok, got the lowdown on the problems.

Engine Malfunction:
Said Int Valve needs to be replaced. I assume this means Intake Valve?

DSC Not Available:
Said this was caused by a brake sensor that needs to be replace.

Both parts are on order and should be fixed by tomorrow.

Thanks!

Old 07-15-2010, 01:30 PM

Ok, secondary update for those interested. You were 100% correct Leedsman. Smart call! When they pulled the travel sensor out brake fluid came leaking out also. They said that it was leaking through the master cylinder and the fluid was being held in by the sensor. This explains a few of the problems that I was having with the car. Most likely why the brakes were squeaking also. I'm glad those other problems were there or it might have been a more dire situation that I found out the problem. More parts on order now. Hopefully will be back in my ride soon. Having to borrow the wife's car for the moment.

Thanks again for the input as usual.

Old 07-15-2010, 01:38 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

...following along with your saga from over here

Old 07-19-2010, 12:40 PM

The saga continues. The adjuster for my car warranty wouldn't cover the repairs. He concluded that it was a "pre-existing condition". The only repair they would approve for payment is the cheapest part of course. They said they'll pay for the sensor to be replaces and that's all. Luckily the dealership where I bought it is having it towed back and they are going to fix it for me. At least that's what they said they'll do. That should be some time today. So I've been without a car for a week. If not fixed today the dealership will give me a loaner.