Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dunlop Tires Update....

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 11:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,369 Likes on 2,857 Posts
Default Dunlop Tires Update....

The new Dunlop SP Sport Signature tires have been on our S-Type for right at 800 miles now. I still like them very much. I started them at 34 psi all the way around and have kept them there. Great wet grip and handling, very quiet even at 90 mph on the highway, true tracking regardless of the weather, and I have not noticed a reduction in mpg although my wife has not done one of her trips to and from Tampa on these tires yet. That will tell the tale as far as mpg is concerned....

The only downside I've noticed is that in outside temps below freezing, these tires require a couple of miles to warm up and get 100% round during the first trip of the day. After that, they're damn near perfect....

They were really a great bang-for-the-buck deal. I negotiated my local Discount Tire manager down to $560 out-the-door for size 235/50R17. Then I made Hankook honor their treadwear warranty on our original tires through Discount Tire. So my total out-of-pocket cost for these new Dunlops was $420. Don't think I could have done any better than that, so I'm happy....

Can't speak to the Dunlops' ability in snow and ice - our S-Type sits safely at home when the white stuff is on the roads around here....

Old 02-04-2011, 11:47 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have twice had the misfortune to have Dunlop tyres fitted to my motorbike. It came from the factory with the first set and I had to have some fitted urgently once in France. Dunlops were all they had. I'm not talking about budget tyres here either, these were the top of the range sticky sports tyres.
They were without doubt the worst tyres that have ever tried to nearly kill me. They really were truly shocking.

I'll never buy Dunlops again, not even for my Jag.

Old 02-04-2011, 11:54 AM
Veteran Member

Sorry to hear of your experiences. I've had Dunlop D60/A2 tires on our previous 1989 Acura Legend, Dunlop SP-40 tires on our previous 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee, and Dunlop Radial Rover A/T tires on my current 1999 Dodge Ram. All served us well and were reasonably priced. I hope this set of Dunlop SP Sport Signature tires turns out equally well. Time will tell....

Old 02-04-2011, 12:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon89
Sorry to hear of your experiences. I've had Dunlop D60/A2 tires on our previous 1989 Acura Legend, Dunlop SP-40 tires on our previous 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee, and Dunlop Radial Rover A/T tires on my current 1999 Dodge Ram. All served us well and were reasonably priced. I hope this set of Dunlop SP Sport Signature tires turns out equally well. Time will tell....
My khumo's do the same thing as far as out of round till they warm up.

Jon, as an aside how was your experience with that Generation Grand Cherokee. They are getting pretty cheap (and tempting) these days for a winter / beat around truck.

Take care,

George

Old 02-04-2011, 12:04 PM
Veteran member
Received 251 Likes on 220 Posts

I just put on a set of the new Conti DW on my STR. So far so good.

Old 02-04-2011, 12:26 PM
Veteran Member

George,

Our 1996 Grand Cherokee AWD with the 5.2-litre V8 was my wife's daily driver from April 1997 until I sold it in August 2003 when she came down with Lexus Fever. That Jeep was fantastic - strong as an ox with nothing but routine maintenance required. It easily carved its way through the infamous 22-inch snowstorm we had in January 2000. I sold it at about 130,000 miles when she decided she wanted a Lexus SUV. Should have kept the Jeep - it was replaced with a 2000 Lexus RX300 AWD that would go on to need more than $9,000 in warranty work while we owned it. By far the worst vehicle I've ever had in more than 41 years of driving. But Lexus Corporate and our local service manager stepped up to the plate and never gave me a problem while doing all that warranty work. But man, I cannot tell you how much I hated that vehicle and how happy I was when I sold it in January 2007....

We've had a 1985 Cherokee, a 1988 Cherokee, a 1994 Cherokee, that 1996 Grand Cherokee, and a 2000 Grand Cherokee. All were outstanding vehicles, built tough and easy to maintain. If I were in your shoes, I would look at Grand Cherokees and Subaru Outbacks....

Last edited by Jon89; 02-04-2011 at 12:36 PM.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:35 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

You may have also remembered me mentioning owning a Grand cherokee also...2000, and it has been a fantastic vehicle. Its the inline 6 version, and my friend (a girl) still has it, over 210k miles, and if you keep the oil changed, differential, and transmission fluids changed at normal intervals, and we do the plugs once a year (the original coppers) as a ritual, and think it'll last forever I think. Did the brakes twice since new (needs them again now) and did the shocks once (at 100k I think, monroe's) and it still rides great. The seats are very comfortable. Prices on the 1999 and up (newer body style) are very reasonable...5-6k for a high mileage specimen, and if maintained, I wouldn't hesitate on getting one again. I'd avoid the 99's, lots of bugs in that year. where have you heard that before?

Back on topic, what are the Dunlops rated at, compared to your previous Hancooks?

Old 02-04-2011, 12:47 PM
Veteran Member

The Dunlops carry a 60,000-mile treadwear warranty. The Hankooks had a 50,000-mile treadwear warranty but only delivered 36,000 miles. The Dunlops are UTQG-rated 460/AA/A. The Hankooks were UTQG-rated 420/A/A. But keep in mind that UTQG ratings are just guidelines and are difficult to compare because standards vary from tiremaker to tiremaker. The key is to do plenty of research, check your tire pressures at least weekly, and rotate at every oil & filter change....

Old 02-04-2011, 02:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by androulakis
My khumo's do the same thing as far as out of round till they warm up.

Jon, as an aside how was your experience with that Generation Grand Cherokee. They are getting pretty cheap (and tempting) these days for a winter / beat around truck.

Take care,

George

That generation of Grand (93-98) - the ZJ - are great vehicles. Like others said they are simple to work on yourself, require just basic maintenance, and are very good in the snow and just about any other condition you throw at it. The next generation, the WK, are not a whole lot different and very good as well.

I have a 1995 4.0 with the NP231, so I have selectable 4wd. While AW4 has its benefits (I had a 97 w/AW4 and the 5.2 at one time), I see a little better MPG with the 4.0/selectable configuration. Give up a little power, but not much. A 5.9 on the other hand would be great...

Even before I lifted mine, it was great off road and in the snow, is reasonably large enough to carry all kinds of stuff, and even tows pretty well. Frankly I beat the crap out of mine mercilessly and it never really complains at all. I was slogging through 32" of unplowed snow on logging roads last week...no problemo (granted, 3" lift, swaybar discos, rear locker, 33" tires and some trimming).

If you are looking, check the bottom of the rear hatch edge and underside of the hatch for rust. Water lays on the bumper and that is a big corrosion spot.

All in all, a great winter beater. My STR hasn't been out of the garage since November, been driving the Jeep all winter (Rover now and then). 150k and going strong.

Back on topic, I've only had 1 set of Dunlops, the SP Sports, and did not get very good wear out of them at all. Jon I hope you have better luck!

Old 02-05-2011, 05:55 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

We've had a 1985 Cherokee, a 1988 Cherokee, a 1994 Cherokee, that 1996 Grand Cherokee, and a 2000 Grand Cherokee. All were outstanding vehicles, built tough and easy to maintain. If I were in your shoes, I would look at Grand Cherokees and Subaru Outbacks....
Very wise words indeed! Same experience as well with Jeeps. The tank comparison is dead on as well.. Never had a Grand.. But drove a few.. If you decide on a Jeep, look at the last generation Grand Cherokee with the solid front axle..As ChrisX said, the WJ..from 1999 to 2004...They were even highly rated by Anti-SUV publications like Car and Driver! My personal opinion.. I can't understand how they got the solid axle trucks to ride so well... I friend of mine that I used to work with got an 04 Laredo with the straight six.... He still has it and daily drives it through Ohio winters and it is still going strong at over 200k..

Jon.. wish you luck with the Dunlops as well.... I got "stuck" with a set of Continental ContiTouringContact that look new on the 300... They are terrible in the snow (and I've just had it a week).. They are of a smaller tread width than the stock S Type tires at 225/60/18 so it should be better...NOT! For the first time ever, with the ice we got on Tuesday, I got momentarily stuck in my driveway.. Tried to do my typical K Turn and just slid sideways down the drive... Also, my stability control is constantly turning on when on the slick stuff... Even going slow... Man I miss those Coopers! The General's I had were also real good in the slick stuff.. Well, I'll just have to limp through the rest of the winter and plan on a new set of tires in the fall....

Old 02-05-2011, 01:04 PM
Veteran Member

Best of luck with your Chrysler 300. I don't understand the visual or aesthetic appeal compared to your previous S-Type (as a number of forum members have already stated). Is it really any roomier for a cabin full of kids? You'll enjoy the V8, and I'm thinking that's the real reason why you decided to grab it. Either way, I hope it suits your purposes going forward. No question that your ongoing maintenance costs will be lower with less expensive and easier-to-find parts, and that always chalks up on the positive side of the equation....

Last edited by Jon89; 02-05-2011 at 01:12 PM.
Old 02-05-2011, 04:36 PM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Best of luck with your Chrysler 300. I don't understand the visual or aesthetic appeal compared to your previous S-Type (as a number of forum members have already stated). Is it really any roomier for a cabin full of kids? You'll enjoy the V8, and I'm thinking that's the real reason why you decided to grab it. Either way, I hope it suits your purposes going forward. No question that your ongoing maintenance costs will be lower with less expensive and easier-to-find parts, and that always chalks up on the positive side of the equation....
Yes, the cabin is Much bigger. In the S the baby could reach out and touch the front seat. The back of my seat was constantly dirty from a six year old who still has to sit in a booster... Heck, with my seat set for me, he can stand in the back before sitting down.. And the trunk is huge compared to the S.. Major BJ's trip with diapers and ice melt and still had room to go to the grocery store... In the S it was two trips...

And, yes this time I held out for a V8 car instead of a loaded Limited with the 3.5.... Won't make that mistake twice...

There was two reasons really.. I remember saying that I would probably get rid of the S by the time the warranty ran out.. And I was looking at space..I was going to go the SUV route but honestly most don't have much better legroom in back compared to the S..It would have just fixed the space at errand time issue..And the Select Warranty was due to expire on June 21st of this year.. Got a lot more for the car with the warranty and rear video than I would have if I waited much longer...

And don't worry, it will look a lot better once I get my Bentley grill and chrome port holes.....LOL

Old 02-05-2011, 06:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Star
I just put on a set of the new Conti DW on my STR. So far so good.
I can vouch for those Cont, Extreme Contacts, those tires are damm good. I have them on my Boxster and they basically hug the ground in whatever condition.

Last edited by jag79; 02-05-2011 at 06:13 PM.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by JOsworth

And don't worry, it will look a lot better once I get my Bentley grill and chrome port holes.....LOL

...NOw thats what I'm talking about Jeff!