S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E85, anyone????

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 02:46 PM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Wink E85, anyone????

Hey, I've heard that this E85 will unleash already Boost powered cars. As Im the owner of a STR Im really wanting to know what it will take to get our cars to run in this type of fuel. I know that tunning will be a must, but Im sure it can be done! Fuel lines, injectors and fuel pumps are prob in the list as well.

Mustangs and many more cars are already converting to use it, so why aren't we?

JG

Last edited by mystype04; 07-26-2011 at 02:51 PM.
Old 07-26-2011, 02:52 PM

E85 Conversion Kit Flex Fuel Vehicle Converter

From the mustang community.
E85 Mustangs.com - Tuning for E85

Just a taste of what E85 does!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfGKMUb1GCA

Last edited by mystype04; 07-26-2011 at 03:00 PM.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:20 PM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

E85 contains about 25-30 % less energy per volume than any pump gas. Typical octane levels are around 94-95AKI which a typeR does not need and can not make use of.

What's to gain?

E10 fuel is a 10% dumb idea foisted on us and is a scam , E85 is a 85% dumb idea.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:48 PM

But it also produces less BTUs per unit burned. Thus lets the engine work colder, and therefore allowing more power be made especially in boosted engines (e.i. Our cars). Since Heat is the main Hp killer.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,623 Posts

mikey:
E85 contains about 25-30 % less energy per volume
mystype04:
But it also produces less BTUs per unit burned.
Same thing different words.

bio-fuels are a dumb idea, but well loved by those receiving economic benefit from it to the tune of hundreds of millions. That would be big farming and big oil. But, hey ... they even have a picture of a corn cob + gas hose with a Made in USA stamp on it. How could that be bad?

This is the next snake oil.

The site lists no useful contact information other than a "contact us" form. No phone number, no street address, no email address.

The domain registration uses hidden registration:

Registrant:
Domains by Proxy, Inc.

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, Inc.
Domain Name: E85CONVERSIONKITS.COM

Domain servers in listed order:
NS03.DOMAINCONTROL.COM
NS04.DOMAINCONTROL.COM

For complete domain details go to:
h***://who.godaddy.com/whoischeck.aspx?Domain=E85CONVERSIONKITS.COM
So, when someone's engine goes south -- who do you contact?

Sophisticated? Maybe not:

NOTE: All of our E85 kits share the same internal components and programming. The only difference is the Fuel Injector Connectors.
It does nothing else other than cause a double pulse of the fuel injector. The injector gets to work twice as hard with half the rest. That's got to be good.

See the 7 or so pages in the 22 page install pamphlet explaining how to deal with post install CEL codes.

If someone wants more bang for the dollar, there's an ad in the private for sale classifieds ... something about a distress mortgage foreclosure sale on some bridge in Brooklyn. Might be an opportunity there for someone.

Last edited by plums; 07-26-2011 at 09:28 PM.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used E85 in my 2000 Ford Ranger occasionally.
With 87 Octane gasoline i would get 20 mpg on the hwy
with E85 14 mpg
So i was getting 30% less mileage & paying 25% less for the E85 v 87 Octane.

I elected to use pump gas as my engine ran rough at idle when burning E85 (It is a dual fuel vehicle)
I did not notice any power gains (I know its not boosted)

Last edited by derby98; 07-26-2011 at 09:42 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-26-2011, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by mystype04
But it also produces less BTUs per unit burned. Thus lets the engine work colder, and therefore allowing more power be made especially in boosted engines (e.i. Our cars). Since Heat is the main Hp killer.
Another way of looking at things- because there's less BTUs per unit, it will take 30% more fuel to make the power you've already got by using gasoline.

Heat (energy) causes expansion. Expansion makes power. No heat, no power.

Old 07-27-2011, 01:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,533 Likes on 3,942 Posts

If it was a great fuel, Ferrari and the like would be using it.

Old 07-27-2011, 05:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,623 Posts
Thumbs down

hmm ...

$14 trillion deficit.

Are the subsidies in the hundreds of millions to big farming and big oil to promote alternative gas guzzling still a good idea?

Old 07-27-2011, 06:07 AM
Received 161 Likes on 56 Posts

Not many real racers in here I guess...

Old 07-27-2011, 06:47 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by SchultzLD
Not many real racers in here I guess...
Please elaborate......

Old 07-27-2011, 07:05 AM

Long storey short, too many express opinions as fact in ignorance because I assume they "read" it or "heard" it from what they believe is a reliable source. To each their own but I've been racing since I was 11 years old, building'em since I could hand tools to my father.

I'm not a fan of E85 in commercial use personally, but I was able to go from 390whp to 450whp on a little 2.0 I built several years ago. All because I was able to run higher timing at the same amount of boost. MPG dropped, but I only drove it to the track. (This was when I was into Auto Cross, I hate 4 bangers otherwise. But this car could handle!!! lol)

I've never ran it (E85) in any of my big V8's, nor do I want to. But to say that E85 is 85% dumb is just ignorant to all its uses.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:28 AM
Veteran Member

Er, this is the S-Type forum. Isn't E85 a really poor fuel for our cars? Unless, maybe, someone spends an incredible amount of money changing their car to a very different beast.......

BTW, E85 does not meet jag's S-Type specs.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:32 AM
Veteran member

See, how I take it.... E85 is dumb for street applications....But totally get the point in racing applications...

See, a car "tuned" to the benefits of an alcohol fuel is not really good for a street application. So, I think the "it's dumb" debate really amounts to "do you really want to drive a race car on the street". Some people may want to... Some may have to in order to pursue their hobby.... That is a direct reference to my SCCA 2010 STU champion buddy.... He drove his race tuned Evo as a regular car...And hated it. He now has a MX5 for race duty and a Mazdaspeed 3 for daily duty. The Speed 3 will not be getting any "race mods" just because he wants a comfy street able car for daily use.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:44 AM

Yes to both u gents. I absolutely agree.

Jagv8, Please note that the OP had stated the question regarding how to mod this car to take E85. (Personal opinion is this is a dumb idea for a street application and it seems we agree, and without a butt-ton of cash not even doable in these car do to the complicated and so far un tunable PCU.

JOsworth, like I said... ignorant to all its uses. As well as I only drove it to the track. BTW, modded MX5's are incredible on the track!

Old 07-27-2011, 08:05 AM
Veteran Member

Good point.

To the OP: you'd need a VAST amount of money to attempt it.
(If you do, probably quite a few will be very interested in the outcome.)

Old 07-27-2011, 10:28 AM

I'm not a fan of E85 in commercial use personally, but I was able to go from 390whp to 450whp on a little 2.0 I built several years ago. All because I was able to run higher timing at the same amount of boost. MPG dropped, but I only drove it to the track. (This was when I was into Auto Cross, I hate 4 bangers otherwise. But this car could handle!!! lol)

I've never ran it (E85) in any of my big V8's, nor do I want to. But to say that E85 is 85% dumb is just ignorant to all its uses.
The mileage dropped because the fuel has less energy per unit, as mentioned several times above. You were able to run more advanced timing because (at least in part) the fuel had a higher octane rating. The same can be achieved much more readily by using higher octane gasoline, up to the point that the engine will no longer respond positively to additional advances in timing. All engines will start to lose power once the peak setting has been achieved irrespective of whether detonation has occurred or not.

This is nothing new- it's been around long before you handed tools to your daddy or how long you've raced. It's also got nothing to do with whether the engine is supercharged or not.

With respect the the S-typeR engine, there's no evidence that it would benefit from running more advanced timing. If you have relevant experience to demonstrate that this is not correct, please let us know.

The OP has made an incorrect fundamental assumption regarding 'heat' in his post. Heat in the intake charge is not of benefit, heat released from the fuel inside the combustion chamber is. The more the better.

Old 07-27-2011, 11:17 AM
Veteran member

BTW, modded MX5's are incredible on the track!
Yup.... I was one of the only people that gave him a thumbs up on it (outside his racing circle of coarse)

Now...back to your regularly scheduled "heated debate"..... God I love this place!

Old 07-27-2011, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by JOsworth
Yup.... I was one of the only people that gave him a thumbs up on it (outside his racing circle of coarse)
Originally Posted by JOsworth

Now...back to your regularly scheduled "heated debate"..... God I love this place!

ha ha, yes Sir. Good stuff.

Mikey~ I should have made it a bit more clear, that the E85 was used over 110, & 114, and even with dyno tuning for each fuel, the E85 build resulted in more power. Lower IATs, higher boost, higher compression, more advanced timing can be had with the higher octanes, but do you know how much a gal of 110 is? How about 114? Yikes!!! It was very easy to mod for E85 in my case. The Jaguar, HA! Don't see that happening.

I can see you are very much adamant that you are absolutely correct and cannot be wrong at all, so I'll leave it at that. Perhaps you are right and my tuners do not know what they are doing. The power increase must have been from the flux capacitor and the 1.8 gigiwatts I installed just before the dyno pulls. (please note my sarcasm and light words in a poor attempt to lessen the tensions with some levity)

So to clarify... In my opinion E85 has its place, but not on a daily driven street car, and defiantly not on a STR. To say that any use of E85 is 85% dumb is ignorant to all its uses. How it got turned into such a long debate is beyond me. I’m kind of a d1ck and sometimes my words don’t come a crossed so nice, but I promise you I won’t lose any sleep over this.

To each their own.

Old 07-27-2011, 12:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts

I’m kind of a d1ck and sometimes my words don’t come a crossed so nice, but I promise you I won’t lose any sleep over this.
You mind if I borrow this as a new signature line? LOL!

Quick Reply: E85, anyone????