Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E85, anyone????

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 12:55 PM
Received 2,261 Likes on 1,844 Posts

Originally Posted by SchultzLD
ha ha, yes Sir. Good stuff.

Mikey~ I should have made it a bit more clear, that the E85 was used over 110, & 114, and even with dyno tuning for each fuel, the E85 build resulted in more power. Lower IATs, higher boost, higher compression, more advanced timing can be had with the higher octanes, but do you know how much a gal of 110 is? How about 114? Yikes!!! It was very easy to mod for E85 in my case. The Jaguar, HA! Don't see that happening.
You've yet to explain HOW the E85 made 'more power' and instead repeatedly stated that 'it just did'. Unless you can put together some sort of story to back up your claims or even give us details of how your car was modified, you're not really in a position to mock any of those with a practical and professional background that believes that E85 fuel is not superior to gasoline.

Yes, I know the cost of 110 octane gas. >95% of people that use it are wasting their money on that too.

The sarcasm doesn't help, BTW.

Old 07-27-2011, 01:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,067 Likes on 761 Posts

I think he has already explained it " Lower IATs, higher boost, higher compression, more advanced timing "

So in like for like, E85 will not give you extra power, but when you are able to change boost & timing, you can go much furter then normal fuel.

Here is a factory car that can adjust to E85 (boost/timing) and has some extra power then:
Koenigsegg CCXR - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-27-2011, 01:10 PM
Received 161 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Staatsof
You mind if I borrow this as a new signature line? LOL!
lol, Go ahead. But fix the grammer, lol I'm horible at it. Just my way of saying that I take things very lightly, and usually am the comic relief. But when you just type, it's hard to read body language and voice infliction. To each their own.

edit: Oh and Mikey, calm down. "practical and professional background"?? I'm a Airframe Engineer, a U.S. Marine x12 years, and build and race as often as I can between Family, Work, and more School. Please read my posts with more intent on finding my explanation and less on finding a way to poke my in the eye and you will clearly find I gave SEVERAL references on how I made more power.

Also please note that I did not say E85 MADE more power, but that I was able to make more power USING E85.

Last edited by SchultzLD; 07-27-2011 at 01:17 PM.
Old 07-27-2011, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by avos
I think he has already explained it " Lower IATs, higher boost, higher compression, more advanced timing "

So in like for like, E85 will not give you extra power, but when you are able to change boost & timing, you can go much furter then normal fuel.

Here is a factory car that can adjust to E85 (boost/timing) and has some extra power then:
Koenigsegg CCXR - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I'm not sure sure if the poster did all these things stated or just copy/pasted from the great internet knowledge database. How does using E85 give lower IAT? As already stated, higher octane fuel can permit greater boost/compression and more advanced timing- but these rules apply equally well to gasoline and not just alcohol. The point could be made that since 30% more liquid is being injected into the combustion chamber and subsequently evaporated, a greater amount of heat is being absorbed, but this is of no benefit without accompanying compensation in compression or boost to at least get back to the starting point.

I previously read the Koenigsegg link. I think the angle they're exploiting is that they can get more power out of an E85 powered engine over a pump gas (91 octane?) powered car by taking advantage of the higher E85 octane which lets them get deeper into the boost. There's no discussion of getting more power by using equally higher octane gasoline. E85 has an octane rating of approx 94-95AKI. I can buy 94 octane gas all day long at the local pumps, not that it would be of any benefit.

Shultz- I'm not going to get into a game of ePenis with you but I've got 31 years of professional experience working with an engine OEM in engineering, design and field support.

Old 07-27-2011, 02:17 PM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Also please note that I did not say E85 MADE more power, but that I was able to make more power USING E85.
Now that is a quotable statement... LOL

Old 07-28-2011, 02:20 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I think the question that's going unanswered is 'is E85 more cost effective?' The answer, which is why people label it a dumb idea, is a big, fat, NO. Not only does the fuel have a lower energy content, but it takes more energy to produce[grow], which is why it is so heavily subsidized to make it appear competitive and comparable to petroleum based fuels. Engines can be specifically engineered to run E85 (not dual fuel), and get comparable results, but the issues of higher fuel production costs remains. Ultimately, you are not going to save money on fuel, or see cost effective performance increases.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,621 Posts

Long storey short, too many express opinions as fact in ignorance because I assume they "read" it or "heard" it from what they believe is a reliable source. To each their own but I've been racing since I was 11 years old, building'em since I could hand tools to my father.
Three things to address gathered from multiple posts.

1) There are plenty of people on this board with as much or more experience than you have. Not all of them feel the need to pull it into a discussion.

2) This is a primarily "street" oriented board. Some of the members also frequent hardcore "racing" boards. As a street application, it is perfectly valid to pan it.

3) The product in question is advertised as a "plug and play" add-on for $185 for the street. There is no mention of additional requirements other than perhaps fiddling with the knob. As pointed out here, there is no way that is going happen. Yet, it is advertised as a "dual fuel" solution. Snake oil.

If someone is going all out, the $185 is going to be better spent as a contribution to remapping the ECU properly. Not on some double pulse somewhere down the line. Or, just put in bigger fuel injectors while using the same duty cycle. If the biggest fuel injector that fits is to small, then increase the duty cycle. Takes more work than just ordering some one size fits all piece of crap off the internet. But, it works, and has worked well before the site came along.

Now, as far as ethanol, aka alcohol, superchargers and injection. That would go back as far as WWII fighters, and more recently fuelies and funny cars of the 60's. Prudhomme and Garlits ring a bell?

As far as "sanctioned" racing goes, one also has to consider the rules as to what fuels and modifications are permitted in class. Go all out with a blown alchohol engine and the other teams just might file a protest.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:26 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jagtastic
I think the question that's going unanswered is 'is E85 more cost effective?' The answer, which is why people label it a dumb idea, is a big, fat, NO. Not only does the fuel have a lower energy content, but it takes more energy to produce[grow], which is why it is so heavily subsidized to make it appear competitive and comparable to petroleum based fuels.
+1

Engines can be specifically engineered to run E85 (not dual fuel), and get comparable results, but the issues of higher fuel production costs remains. Ultimately, you are not going to save money on fuel, or see cost effective performance increases.
Exactly. The payback if fuel cost is the goal is not going to happen. If the goal is all out performance, the effect is better achieved by doing it properly.

Old 07-29-2011, 12:57 AM
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by jagv8
If it was a great fuel, Ferrari and the like would be using it.
uhhhh, I don't know where you've been but many race teams are now running e85 and making great power. I wish I could run e85 in my vette but there are no stations around me.

It would work great in the jag if could add more timing or add more boost but unfortunately, there's no way to do that currently.

Old 07-29-2011, 01:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,524 Likes on 3,935 Posts

Originally Posted by qwiketz
uhhhh, I don't know where you've been but many race teams are now running e85 and making great power. I wish I could run e85 in my vette but there are no stations around me.
My answer was in the context of the OP i.e. a normal use of the S-Type as a street car.
Originally Posted by qwiketz
It would work great in the jag if could add more timing or add more boost but unfortunately, there's no way to do that currently.
You can do both of those and ways to do them have been posted multiple times. They are very expensive.

Old 07-29-2011, 06:04 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

See, my take on the whole thing is a bit different.....

I hate the whole "stuff it down your throat" posture that our government takes on ethanol blended fuels. They even make so it is so "cloak and dagger" that it is really hard to determine if you can even get real gas vs. blended fuel. My issue revolves around the opposite of this thread... A plain ol stock tuned car runs worse and can be damaged by running this crap. Yet we are forced to buy it. Give us a choice....

Heck, we really don't need 3 "grades" of gas at the pump..Make the third grade the ethanol blended fuel....

See, I also think it has a place. With all the political and economic BS going on in the world, it is kind of comforting to know that we are working to develop and refine a alternative source of internal combustion fuel, that is also "short term" renewable. So, if something ghastly happens to the world supply of crude, we have something else that can be rolled into place with relatively little pain... BUT.... stop trying to say it's better (directed at government!). It is not cheaper, it is not better, it is however a viable solution should disaster hit... So, give the people that can benefit from it the incentive to keep developing it (read race teams...) and stop cramming it down our gas tanks...

OK.... rant over....

The following users liked this post:
blj54 (06-12-2019)
Old 07-29-2011, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by JOsworth

OK.... rant over....
Well, I thought it was a good one and it saved me the effort of typing it myself. Thanks

I'm amazed that the other camp who believes that ethanol will cause the sky to fall hasn't chipped in yet. E10 anyone?

Old 07-29-2011, 09:56 AM
Veteran Member
Default Tequila

On a lighter note ...

Further to the intoxicating subject of ethanol, there is always this latest development:

World needs needs Tequila power: report ? The Register

Better stock up on tequila before the price starts heading to the sky.