S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ECM is not being manufactured for this vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 01:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECM is not being manufactured for this vehicle

The local jaguar dealer told me that because of the tsunami in Japan there is nobody making an ECM for my vehicle (2002 S-TYPE V6). Has anybody else run into this situation?

Old 04-06-2012, 01:46 PM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

There's lots available on ebay. Not tsunamis, ECMs

eBay: ecm

The following users liked this post:
haligonian (04-06-2012)
Old 04-06-2012, 01:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,533 Likes on 3,942 Posts

They so rarely go bad that I ask: why do you want one? Are you 100% sure it's the ECM? How do you know?

BTW, do NOT buy one and plug it in. They need reprogramming to the car and by someone who KNOWS what they're doing.

edit: if 2002, are you before VIN M45255? Not sure they can be reprogrammed. You really do need someone who knows what they're doing in that case. See recentish threads by jag techs on here xjrguy and motorcarman (and any others, these guys know what's possible).

Also, you can get an ECM repaired and that would likely be the way to go - IF it's actually bad. Be sure.

Last edited by JagV8; 04-06-2012 at 01:53 PM.
haligonian (04-06-2012)
Old 04-06-2012, 02:06 PM

I uploaded my vehicle. Thanks. I actually thought I did before but I think maybe I put it up for sale or something.

I bought it with the computer out (sent to a rebuilder in Ontario) and I haven't received it back yet but they said they couldn't do anything with it. I see lots of used ones around but it's not just a matter of putting a different one in and driving away. It needs to be programmed after it's in the vehicle but the Jaguar dealer here says they can't program it if it doesn't come with some programming already in from the manufacturer so they don't want to touch anything I bring in if they didn't get it from the manufacturer (at $2,800 + labor).

Old 04-06-2012, 02:20 PM

Also, I forgot, my VIN is M37400.

Old 04-06-2012, 03:04 PM
Veteran Member

So... this is the post you need to worry about:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...e2/#post480794

haligonian (04-08-2012)
Old 04-06-2012, 04:39 PM

Hmm,
well that's not too encouraging. But I can't believe they would do something like that where if your computer goes you have a parts car. They must have a way of replacing them. If you buy a new computer someone has to program it for your vehicle. They may not want to reprogram other ones but I have a hard time believing it's impossible.
All these rebuilders swear it's just a Ford computer and you just have to have the security rematched after replacing it. They told me that they've done several 2002 S-TYPEs with 3.0 liter engines. I'll have to get some client names so I can verify that if they'll let me.
I saw some posts online somewhere that said you had to make sure some code numbers in the trunk are the same as the numbers on the ECM.
I'm still hoping for a repair even though the first company it was sent to said it wasn't repairable.

Old 04-06-2012, 05:26 PM
Veteran Member

Maybe a different repairer.

Just wanted to warn you about the issues.

Anti-theft is a big thing. Keeps these cars pretty safe. "just", as you put it, is not what I'd say.

Starting with a blank ECM is easy - but very expensive.

Old 04-06-2012, 05:32 PM

Is there any consensus on who's best for repairing Jaguar ECMs?

Old 04-06-2012, 06:36 PM

Yes, the "just" wasn't a reflection of importance but a word of relief describing the cost/effort of that procedure compared to say getting a new car.

Old 04-07-2012, 07:50 AM

I tried to call a local Ford dealer this morning and gave him the part number from an ECM that came off a 2002 Jaguar S-TYPE 3.0.
He told me they're made on demand and that I'd better sit down to hear the price. It was a whopping $1,000.00, just over 1/3 of what the Jaguar dealer wanted. Expensive programming.

Old 04-07-2012, 10:40 AM
Veteran Member

There's very very low demand.

Old 04-08-2012, 06:23 AM

Yes, so it seems, almost like the demand has been 1 over the past three months.

Old 04-08-2012, 08:33 AM
Veteran Member

So what is alleged to be wrong with the car? And why is it thought to be the PCM? It really isn't likely. We need details.

Old 04-09-2012, 06:34 AM

It quit twice on the previous owner and started up again after 10 minutes. The third time it quit it wouldn't start so he towed it to an independent shop. They boosted it and still it wouldn't turn over so they put it on a diagnostic machine and figured that the computer didn't work ( I don't know what they got to make them come to this decision). They advised the owner to take it to the dealer for computer work. The dealer confirmed the diagnosis and tried to find a new computer. They couldn't so the owner got them to remove the computer and he took it back to the independent shop. they sent it to a rebuilder who said it couldn't be rebuilt. they were going to scrap it but I went to the independent shop and got them to request it back. It's on the way back now.
The dealer told me that someone had hooked it up backwards to a charger or while boosting but the owner denied that.
When I get it back I'll try to plug it in and see what I get.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:22 AM
Veteran Member

If it actually was hooked up backwards, let us suppose, a lot more than that module would likely be blown so you'd need multiple modules. If you go that route, which I doubt is worthwhile, get them all from one vehicle that's similar to the car you have so you don't have recoding and anti-theft issues. Beware: you may not be able to pass state inspection as the VIN will be wrong. (Does not apply to the UK.)

If it didn't suffer that way, I'd put the PCM back in and start proper troubleshooting but you'll probably need dealer-type diagnostics (IDS, WDS, AE, etc).

If you put it back in and can talk to it using a cheap OBD tool you could spend time instead of money and check a lot of things that way. If you have no such skill... probably quit now.

Last edited by JagV8; 04-09-2012 at 07:36 AM.
Old 04-10-2012, 03:50 AM

The dealer did mention that it may need a second module but he said they won't know for sure until they replace the PCM. I can't do much until I get the module back.
Also, we don't have any emmisions testing requirements here in Nova Scotia either so replacing the modules from a similarly equipped vehicle is still on the table.
I don't have much money to put into it so my investment will be mostly time trying to figure it out. I don't have much risk aside from the time because I think I could sell it for at least as much as I paid for it (1,300 sterling) as a parts unit.
I'll be getting the unit back within the next couple of days so we'lll see.

Old 04-10-2012, 06:22 AM
Veteran Member

You could start by checking (*) the wiring while the PCM is out. At least check the obvious wires (power, gnd, OBD, vital sensors etc - do as many as are easy & keep careful notes).

(*) continuity; also non-shorted (to gnd & power)

Old 04-10-2012, 08:11 AM
Default Jaguar Dealer Report

Dealer Report:

Vehicle will not start.
Vehicle cranks but will not start. Coolant fan motor running at high speed at all times.
Checked for codes. Unable to communicate with ECM.
Checked for fuel or spark, none. Suspect faulty ECM
Removed RH inner fender liner and removed connectors from ECM. Removed ECM. Checked, no physical damage.
Checked all powers and grounds to ECM. all good.
Checked SCP network voltage at ECM. Good at 4.8v and 0.02v.
Reinstalled ECM, tried to communicate, unable.
Faulty ECM.
May also need coolant fan module. Will know once ECM is replaced.
Talked with customer. Customer was charging battery when battery overcharged and blew up.
Customer replaced battery but vehicle would not start. Suspect voltage spike took out ECM.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:52 AM
Veteran Member

Wish you'd posted that sooner! Coulda saved all those posts. Unless you're a good electronics tech (*), I'd say abandon it.

(*) but then you wouldn't be asking....

I'd wire the PCM on a bench if I was sufficiently interested and check it laboriously

Quick Reply: ECM is not being manufactured for this vehicle