S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ECM is not being manufactured for this vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 09:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just found out about that. i went to the dealer this morning. I'm not really an electronics tech but I'm going to tinker with it till it's fixed. I can solder and I can read the info from the chips so if I have another unit to work from I should be able to get it going with beaucoup patience. Well, that, plus my nephew is an electronics tech.

I visited York one time about 30 years ago when I lived in Aberdeen. It's a beautiful city.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,533 Likes on 3,942 Posts

You might get a bit of a disappointment when you open it up. The old days of TTL and EPROMs are long gone. It's a twin processor, programmed via OBD and an extra OE-specific line. There's a challenge-response protocol before you can start.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:26 PM

My 02 V6 S type recently died making a turn.Similar symptoms. No start.OBD2 says to check ignition.Replaced electical portion of ignition switch and replaced battery
I'm looking at fuses and wiring harness. Lincoln LS boards report no start ECM problems. Please continue to share your thoughts, Thanks

Old 04-12-2012, 07:12 AM

Couldn't help but reply to this thread as I had the exact problem with my 2002 s type last year. The car just died one day, no spark or fuel. It was also diagnosed with a bad ECM. Tried everything, nothing worked for me. Car still sitting in my garage a year later. Might just leave it there. Might be a nice barn find for smoeone in 30 or 40 years. LOL!! They will get a nice surprise when they try to fire it up.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,895 Likes on 7,163 Posts

This sort of situation is always a bit disturbing. Although ECM failures are rare in the grand scheme of things I'd hate to buy a car that is potentially non-repairable.

From previous remarks can it be assumed that cars after M45255 would be a safer bet? Is it just the V6 models? Just 2002 model year?

I'm asking becuase I've sorta been kicking around the idea of buying an S-Type.

Cheers
DD

Old 04-12-2012, 09:04 AM

I thought it was rare as well but after six months of research I realized that ECM's do fail more than you would think. They seem to default to the security system shutting down fuel and spark. I would love to know if the problem can be overcome because I have yet to hear of anyone solving it short of a complete module swap which would outweigh the cost of the vehicle. Unfortunately, the S Type was my second and last Jag. Beautiful cars but riddled with electrical issues. My 84 v12 VDP was a stunner, but spent more time in the repair shop than my own garage. At least it was repairable.

Old 04-12-2012, 11:56 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Doug
From previous remarks can it be assumed that cars after M45255 would be a safer bet? Is it just the V6 models? Just 2002 model year?

I'm asking becuase I've sorta been kicking around the idea of buying an S-Type.

Cheers
DD
Complete change of PCM at that VIN. Since then they're Denso. Competent jag tech can reprogram one (so they can fit a used one) and indeed fairly recently someone posted how they did it. Still not a cheap task.

Old 04-12-2012, 01:18 PM

"Jaguar makes beautiful works of art. However, their road cars fall short of the mark." Can't remember who said it but I love this quote.

Old 04-12-2012, 02:19 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by johnnyfive
I thought it was rare as well but after six months of research I realized that ECM's do fail more than you would think.
From many thousands of posts here & the UK forum, they hardly ever fail. BTW, you don't actually know the one you have has failed.
They seem to default to the security system shutting down fuel and spark. I would love to know if the problem can be overcome because I have yet to hear of anyone solving it short of a complete module swap which would outweigh the cost of the vehicle.
Many cars are now like this so that they're very hard to steal. (It's virtually required here by law.) Get used to it! You're dealing with an old vehicle of low value so changing modules may well be uneconomic - and would be on other similar cars.
Unfortunately, the S Type was my second and last Jag. Beautiful cars but riddled with electrical issues.
Just not true. Again, many thousands of posts. Yes some do have problems but nearly every problem on here is non-electrical.

Old 04-12-2012, 02:32 PM

Didn't mean to strike a nerve ol' boy. Just speaking from my own experiences as a two time Jag owner. And yes, my ECM did fail as diagnosed by an authorized Jaguar dealer, unless you are suggesting they don't know what they are talking about. In any case, the S Type will sit in my garage for the foreseeable future as a nice conversation piece. I have moved on to a BMW which has proven to be a much more reliable car so far. Jaguar may return to its former glory one day, but I doubt Tata motors will be the ones to take it there.

Old 04-12-2012, 03:15 PM
Veteran Member

No idea on Tata. Don't know whether your PCM has been correctly diagnosed but quite possibly not. I sure wouldn't rely on it. Either way it's anti-theft is working.

Did you buy the BMW in the same condition (no PCM etc) and then fix it?

Last edited by JagV8; 04-12-2012 at 04:03 PM.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:38 PM

Yes, the anti theft is working on the s Type!! At least they got that right. The beamer came new from the dealer and I assume it has a working ECU. If I send you the ECU from the s-type, could you diagnose it??

Old 04-12-2012, 05:49 PM
Veteran Member

Sorry but it would likely not be worthwhile as the UK is very definitely not a cheap place to be, so my time's expensive! bba-reman might (I'm doubtful) be cost effective?

Old 04-12-2012, 06:14 PM

Just joking. I'm sure it wouldn't be cost effective at any price. Maybe I can cut the car in half and make a sofa out of it. The front end is truly beautiful.

Old 04-12-2012, 11:44 PM

If I cant find an electrical fault I'm thinking of letting the local Ford dealership attempt a repair.A 60 mile tow and extreme labor and parts cost at the nearest Jaguar dealership lead me to think this might be the way to go. If the ECM is the problem I wonder if Ford can do the reprogramming.

Old 04-13-2012, 01:57 AM
Veteran Member

I don't see why Ford (or any other make). Sounds like an electrical problem so if you can't DIY then an auto electrician would likely be a far better idea. Here they tend to be mobile so no towing needed. You could help of course by finding the correct electrical guide and the rest of JTIS, which has detailed troubleshooting, plus the No start stuff that's been posted here and I expect is in the TSBs.

Yours sounds likely just something very simple - commonly around the ignition switch / column area.

Chances are that no reprogramming is required and more importantly it should not be attempted in the car's current state as further trouble sounds inevitable if it is.

Old 05-31-2012, 04:23 AM

I hemmed and hawed for a while and finally sent the PCM out to be repaired. They claim to have repaired it and it arrived yesterday but I'm waiting for a dryish day to install it. I'll keep you posted.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:37 AM

It dried out enough to put it in. I disconnected the battery and plugged it in. I reconnected the battery but it was dead. I hooked it up to jumper cables from my Taurus and when I opened the driver door the alarm went off. I inserted the key and the alarm went off. I turned it over but it wouldn't start and after 5 seconds it started turning too slowly to start it so I shut it off for a minute to let the battery take a charge. I turned the key to start it again and the alarm started going again so I just unhooked it from the cable and took the computer back out. I'll take it in to the dealer next week and get the security reset (I hope).

Old 05-31-2012, 09:39 AM

Sorry, I just read my last post and it's confusing. The first time I inserted the key in the ignition the alarm stopped is what it should have said.

Old 06-01-2012, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by haligonian
Sorry, I just read my last post and it's confusing. The first time I inserted the key in the ignition the alarm stopped is what it should have said.
Would you mind posting where you sent it and the cost? I've been sitting on mine for a while now and would repair if the cost is reasonable.

Quick Reply: ECM is not being manufactured for this vehicle