S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ecoboost TT 3.5L swap into STR? What's needed? (seriously)

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 07:48 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Since this thread doesn't seem to be going anywhere, I welcome a moderator to lock it. Unfortunately, some people would rather hear themselves speak nonsense, than remain silent or contribute in a positive manner.

Old 11-10-2012, 08:10 PM
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

What I don't get, is why you are telling us you have the skills and expertise to do this, but you're asking us what it would take to do it.

How do you know you have what it takes, if you can't even determine what must be done?

I know, you said you want "specifics". Specifics about what, exactly? Do you want some sort of manual, to guide you through the process? Do you want specifics about making the electronics work? Do you want specifics about the powertrain itself? I mean... c'mon... be specific with US, will ya?

And if you are active on other forums, especially LSx forums, then you are aware that MANY people talk about swaps, but few ever do them. And even fewer still ever get completed. And of those few which are completed, fewer still ever turn-out anywhere near as nice as the original car was.

I've done swaps, including a Northstar into a '56 Chev. I've managed an LS1 into a '66 Datsun Fairlady. I've put a Hayabusa motor into a Corvair. The list goes on. I know some things about swaps. In each of these swaps, it was important to transfer-over the complete electronics package from the donor car. That's tough by itself. But what I have NOT done is a swap into a late-model car, which depends on compatibility of systems and integration of systems for nearly EVERYTHING to work. That's why you have the horror stories above about the LSx swap into an S. The electronics interface alone is daunting. Could it be done? I would say "yes, BUT...." if it's to be 'nice' when you're done, then you better plan to sink a TON of money into it. By that, I mean well into 6-figure territory.

And THAT is why we all ask the question "WHY?"

The following users liked this post:
bfsgross (11-11-2012)
Old 11-11-2012, 12:33 AM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

If your going to do a swap, put a 2jz-gte in it. There is a local guy here who runs one of the fastest 6 speed supras. 1600 hp and climbing, with nitrous on the dyno maxed out at 1600. Instead of all the bs of our ecu that sucks, put an AEM ems in it and tune your heart out.

The following users liked this post:
ronbros (12-22-2014)
Old 11-11-2012, 01:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,184 Likes on 1,624 Posts

Originally Posted by Caliber427
Since this thread doesn't seem to be going anywhere, I welcome a moderator to lock it. Unfortunately, some people would rather hear themselves speak nonsense, than remain silent or contribute in a positive manner.
When you start off a thread with:

(If you think it's not worth it, please SPECIFY why. No NAY sayers please).
you pretty much seal the fate of the thread.

The difference with the LSx forums is that there are ways to get into the existing ECU. That makes a huge difference in integration.

If you had searched the forums, you would have come to the conclusion that engine swaps on the S-Type are rare, and that the one that has been documented has not been completed since its start several years ago.

The "Ecoboost 3.5L TT" is not a known quantity around these parts. If you are trying to say that it is similar in some way to the 3.0L Duratec, then say so, and list out the differences.

If someone wants to do a engine swap, they should have already researched the two platforms, figured out the differences, and then present a proposed plan of the means of overcoming the obstacles for discussion. A two liner opening post, of which one line is a line drawn in the sand, is by no means a plan.

One of the participants in the thread *is* a therapist.

++

Last edited by plums; 11-11-2012 at 01:45 AM.
Old 11-11-2012, 01:58 AM
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Every time I hear someone say these jags are just fancy Fords I always say "yeah, I wish it was more of a fancy Ford so maintenance wouldn't be so ****ing expensive" lol

But on nicer note, I think it would be helpful to have a bit more background on why this conversion is wanted. This way members can see the situation you are in and perhaps be more understanding.

Old 11-11-2012, 09:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

Caliber427, hang in there buddy. I completely understand that the basic jist of what I'm about to write has already been put forth to you, but here goes: Due to our collective experience and wisdom on the subject of an "S-Type engine swap, we're actually not meaning to put you down but more or less redirecting you. As you're aware, there are two camps of thought here. Some are fixated on maintaining the pureness of the STR, whilst others understand the complexity, projected costs, and the prospects of the entire project to culminate with failure and/or dissapointing performance when compared to the already robust power output and relatively decent economy of the 400 chp @ 410 lb/ft 4.2 L s/c. Though Ford owned and contributed to Jag till 2008, The rear differential is Jag, the ZF trans. is German, and AJ8 engine is almost all Jag and an influence for then and now Ford motors. In fact, Ford borrowed much from Jag. I'm sort of familiar with Ford's 3.5 L twin turbo Ecoboost. This motor comes standard in the Taurus SHO and an option in full size van and pickup truck platforms. This motor won't spool up the hp and torque as quick as the 4.2 s/c. In addition to the mods we have already developed for the STR, there's also a 200 chp twin screw mod on the horizon (600 chp). Though we all agree "anything can be done", provided the material, engineers, and money are available, the majority of us feel the task would be too daunting and unrewarding. Some wish they could just pop open the hood and work and/or modify all the systems inherent with this car, so a basic Chevy V-8 comes to mind. This was performed on older XJ models, when electronics, etc. were uncomplicated. Todays' Jags have most electronic systems interconnected. An almost complete gut of the electronics then re-engineering would have to be performed to make it all work. We have a guy who began an STR to LS1 swap over two years ago and he has yet to celebrate. In closing, you came to this forum believing we had the knowledge base for motor swaps and now you understand we don't. Comfortably speaking for us all, stay here and you'll most certainly come to again appreciate the STR's 4.2 L s/c and its modding potential. Who knows, perhaps your wisdom will be instrumental in the next big STR 4.2 L s/c mod? Oh, my modded (est. 440+ chp) 03 STR will comfortably dust the 3.5 Ecoboost Ford Taurus whilst recieving similar mpg...just extend my right foot and whistle to tunes on the Alpine...done exactly this with late model muscle. Be well.

Last edited by bfsgross; 11-11-2012 at 12:23 PM.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:22 AM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

An Ecoboost is a Ford engine, much like the Ford engine that came in the Jag.
Actually no. The V6 is a Ford engine but the V8 is not. Pure Jaguar.

Any engine can be swapped into any car no different than any square peg can be forced into any round hole- it's just a matter of total effort. I've done my fair share of peg pushing but nothing as intensive as what you're proposing. Any of the swaps I was involved in were 'upgrades' in terms of horsepower or performance, obviously this is not what you've got in mind.

Best of luck.

Old 11-11-2012, 09:36 AM
Veteran Member

Geez...? After looking at my last post, all I had to do was wait and quote Mikey? LOL!

Old 11-11-2012, 10:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,535 Likes on 3,944 Posts

Who said anything about a Chevy engine? Read the title. An Ecoboost is a Ford engine, much like the Ford engine that came in the Jag.
The STR is a Jag engine not a Ford.

Old 11-11-2012, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by bfsgross
Mcjaguar, hang in there buddy.
Well.... While I appreciate being named in your post; you're preaching to the wrong guy. I'm not the o.p. on this, and in fact I'm on your side.....

Last edited by McJaguar; 11-11-2012 at 05:06 PM.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:20 PM
Veteran Member
Default Lol!

[QUOTE=McJaguar;618649]
Originally Posted by bfsgross
Mcjaguar, hang in there buddy. ( /QUOTE]

Well.... While I appreciate being named in your post; you're preaching to the wrong guy. I'm not the o.p. on this, and in fact I'm on your side.....
LOL! Apology Mcjaguar. I had posted to your thread prior to this thread. Caliper427, please forgive me too. This is what happens when I do a "posting" marathon.

Old 11-11-2012, 04:49 PM
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Interesting thought of an engine swap. Months ago I thought about swapping and LSX-based engine into my 2004 Jaguar S. since there is a company that currently swaps these engines into Jaguars I contacted them and asked if they ever consider doing a kit for the S type r. They said no cited 2 Basic reasons.

They said that the electronics interfacing was a huge problem. The newer cars have so many electronic systems that interface with each other that they didn't think it was worth the time and effort to develop the swap kit.

They also thought that the newer cars were junk and not worth keeping in the long run. Obviously they were not fans of the S type and in some ways I could understand where they were coming from(high suspension replacement costs, lack of a locking diff, and generally low resale value, limited aftermarket support).

I'm surprised that you're not going to try and stuff a LSX engine into the car. There's a lot more support on the hybrids/conversions section of the website at LS1tech. While they would not have Jaguar specific information for you, they would be able to help you with some of the issues that would arise. In addition these days it's so easy to make 450 hp 450 torque with that engine.

I'm a little biased though, I plan to sell my Jaguar and Corvette and build the Porsche 911 996 with the LSX-based engine. I'm also on the ls1tech website and the Corvette forum under the same screen name.

Good luck with your investigation into the possible engines swap. I understand where you're coming from. It takes every engine mod available and then Some to even break 400 rear wheel horsepower.

On a different note why not just add compound boost? (I'm not sure if you're interested in more horsepower or just greater efficientiency).

Old 11-11-2012, 07:00 PM
Veteran Member

Though I'm generally not a betting man...if the OP is interested in performance; the near future beholds an intake manifold adaptor to accomodate a twin screw blower worth 150-200 chp. Even if its efficiency he's after, I'd still hold out on an engine swap.

Old 11-17-2012, 09:57 AM

Huh..... Funny how he asked the question, got offended, and then quit.

My guess is that the aforementioned swap will go exactly the same way.