S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ECU changes

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 03:17 AM
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
Default ECU changes

Questions for the crew. I was at the shop today where I have my Jag worked on. My usual mechanic is an ASE master tech and has recently moved his shop. He now shares it with a fellow that is apparently some sort of car guru. He was worked on F1 cars, worked for McClaren builds his own transmission gears for old non-synchronized tranmissions and a bunch of other amazing things. While I was waiting for my car he told me that he has the ability to tap into the ECU and completely change the car. He said he could easily extract 100hp and more. He said the program comes directly from Jaguar, but he still has the option to change it around as he sees fit depending on how the car responds. He said it would take a few hours and would be $300-$700 depending on how cheap he can get the software. He said he as done over 30 Jags so far.

So what do you guys think? Is this a legitimate claim? I am a little skeptical, but it sure would be sweet to bump up the hp with so little hassle and not a lot of money.

The following 2 users liked this post by Pushing_Tin:
bfsgross (03-04-2011), uropnm6 (03-04-2011)
Old 03-04-2011, 03:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,067 Likes on 761 Posts

Even if it would be about 30 bhp, it would probably already worth the money, but 100 seems a bit to far fetched imho. You could ask for some dyno results, as when he has done 30, there certainly should be some?

Old 03-04-2011, 05:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

Pusjing_tin, see if you can further cultivate an ECU tune. Perhaps we all can benefit from your chance meeting with this guru. Hey Avos! What up mun?

Old 03-04-2011, 07:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by avos
Even if it would be about 30 bhp, it would probably already worth the money, but 100 seems a bit to far fetched imho. You could ask for some dyno results, as when he has done 30, there certainly should be some?
Agreed. This isn`t a turbo motor where you can dial up more boost. Any HP advantages would come from timing and fuel delivery. Maybe some extra speed by changing shift points.....

Old 03-04-2011, 08:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

TCM dictates shifting from my understanding

Old 03-04-2011, 08:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

Got a name for the software? Ask to see it running

Old 03-04-2011, 09:09 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mafioso
TCM dictates shifting from my understanding
Not all cars work in the same way. Jags have a TCM but others do not.

If can tune the ECU, he should be able to get into the TCM as well. Be nice to change the shift points, the timing and the fuel curve to get the best possible scenario.....might be good for 1/2 second...

Old 03-04-2011, 09:42 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Pushing_Tin, not to be a pessimist but everything you wrote raises the BS flag to me. How can this master technician who's supposedly worked with leading edge manufacturers like McClaren (and now inexplicably is working at a shop) make an outlandish claim like 100HP off of a tune? And over 30+ jags?? Outside of the already small XJR crowd I've never known Jag owners to be that overly interested in increasing their performance. We're a tiny community.

He could be the goods but just a bit of a salesman. Tread carefully.

I know, offer him $30 per horsepower off his tune with a pre and post dyno and see what he says.

Old 03-04-2011, 10:26 AM
Veteran Member

Agreed.

Old 03-04-2011, 01:24 PM

I don't think your a pessimist at all, I'm in the same camp as you here, but I really lack the experience and knowledge of this car unlike a lot of you, and that's why I asked for some thoughts. While the claims sound outlandish he didn't strike me as a salesman or anybody that really was blowing smoke and my normal mechanic speaks very highly of him.

The shop right next door is having a dyno installed and he's going to get back to me with a price to hack the ECU. If it's reasonable and he can guarantee me some gains I will take it in and run it before and after and see what happens. It might be a few weeks before all of this happens though.

Just an FYI, when they moved their shop this was the e-mail that I got.

Additionally, I've partnered with an incredibly experienced and talented auto-technician/engineer. Our combined experience reaches from Domestic/USA, Imports, to German, British & Italian marques, street performance right up to professional racing (F1). We are able to provide capabilities and resources that are otherwise not available in the area, along with general repairs and services. Together we will provide unbeatable high-value services for a wide range of vehicles.
Originally Posted by ChrisSTR
Pushing_Tin, not to be a pessimist but everything you wrote raises the BS flag to me. How can this master technician who's supposedly worked with leading edge manufacturers like McClaren (and now inexplicably is working at a shop) make an outlandish claim like 100HP off of a tune? And over 30+ jags?? Outside of the already small XJR crowd I've never known Jag owners to be that overly interested in increasing their performance. We're a tiny community.

He could be the goods but just a bit of a salesman. Tread carefully.

I know, offer him $30 per horsepower off his tune with a pre and post dyno and see what he says.

Old 03-04-2011, 02:46 PM
Veteran Member

Even for what may be a slim chance it's worth waiting a few weeks!

Old 03-04-2011, 04:33 PM
Veteran Member

on my personal progress I was able to load the base image into openECU, make changes to the maps, but here is where Im stuck. I have no way of actually flashing the ROM's There isnt anything that I have found so far that is capable of breaking the lock short of the WDS/IDS. My local Jaguar Dealer is going to very doubtly allow me to upload my own IMG to a PCM.

And for those interested in knowing what I have done, is I've raised the target AFR to 11.5 from 10.5

Old 03-04-2011, 04:38 PM

He was telling me that he is one of a few people that has the ability to completely wipe the factory programming and install something completely different. He told me that he first saves the factory program in case there are any issues and we need to revert back to it.

Originally Posted by Mafioso
on my personal progress I was able to load the base image into openECU, make changes to the maps, but here is where Im stuck. I have no way of actually flashing the ROM's There isnt anything that I have found so far that is capable of breaking the lock short of the WDS/IDS. My local Jaguar Dealer is going to very doubtly allow me to upload my own IMG to a PCM.

And for those interested in knowing what I have done, is I've raised the target AFR to 11.5 from 10.5

Old 03-04-2011, 04:47 PM
Veteran Member

I didn't know openECU would work!

I'd think anyone with IDS would be able to reflash the PCM. Quite possibly WDS, too.

Old 03-04-2011, 09:03 PM
Veteran Member

Feel this guy out further pushing_tin. Ask him some tech questions we can feed you; such as A/F ratio's...here's a critical value that can make or BREAk an engine...too lean then ya burn pistons and valves. A safe ratio is 11.5:1 to 10.5:1

Old 03-04-2011, 10:16 PM

That's a really good idea. How about we/I compile a list of 5-10 questions that I can e-mail him or stop by and talk to him about...

Fire away!

Originally Posted by bfsgross
Feel this guy out further pushing_tin. Ask him some tech questions we can feed you; such as A/F ratio's...here's a critical value that can make or BREAk an engine...too lean then ya burn pistons and valves. A safe ratio is 11.5:1 to 10.5:1

Old 03-05-2011, 12:43 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagv8
I didn't know openECU would work!

I'd think anyone with IDS would be able to reflash the PCM. Quite possibly WDS, too.

It took some tweaking, several packs of cigeretes, a few holes in the wall.
But since the we use the same CPU's as the Mitsu EVO ECU's. I was able to get it work.

Old 03-05-2011, 05:37 AM
Veteran Member

Step-by-step details please

Old 03-05-2011, 05:40 AM
Veteran Member

Mafioso, could ya "push" pushin_tin a few ECU tech questions he could ask this suppossed tuner he bumped into?

Old 03-05-2011, 06:42 AM
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I have been following this post with great interest! But as for air fuel ratio's I must disagree, as for normal running 14.7 is perfect under boost I prefer around 12.1 This what I try to achieve when tuning and it is extremely hard depending where your foot is, wot is easy but its the points in between ,where you try to create a happy medium of timing and fuel curves to compensate. This does sound quite possible, just wish I was in Oregon if it all works out. Waiting patiently in snow bound CNY. Paul

Quick Reply: ECU changes