S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ECU changes

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 08:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

Hi Paul. I thought 14.7 is considered perfect stochiometry for a natuarally aspirated motor. Perhaps 12 works best for you because your motor is under boost?

Old 03-11-2011, 07:32 PM
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

I'm still working on this, I'm waiting to see how much it's going to be as well as the dyno next door to get up and running.

I e-mailed my normal mechanic to see if he had any updates and this is part of what he said.

With his experience, including contributing to more than a handful of F1 World Championships, doing engine development & programming for major players in the racing world, wouldn't expect him to be the embellishing type. It would be very interesting to see how your car responds, including any increase in MPG

Old 03-11-2011, 07:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,621 Posts

Originally Posted by Pushing_Tin
He said the program comes directly from Jaguar, but he still has the option to change it around as he sees fit depending on how the car responds. He said it would take a few hours and would be $300-$700 depending on how cheap he can get the software. He said he as done over 30 Jags so far.
If he has done over 30 Jags so far, why does he not already have the software? Or, are you his way of financing the software?

Old 03-11-2011, 07:49 PM
Received 73 Likes on 39 Posts

NOTHING NEW HERE.
If you look through the car magazines, you will see ads for chips that jump up the power or milage. There are a lot of hand held reprogrammers running around for the diesel pick-up crowd.

Many times jumping up the horsepower means buying fuel injectors that can put more fuel out per shot.

The problem that comes with the DIY programmer changes is that a change here changes something else there.

14.7 is ideal for motoring but not power. The 12 to 1 is what is needed for power.

Down through the years I have seen the "boys" up-grade one thing and see something else bust. They upgrade that and here comes another weak link to break.

Get a mag, and go to the web sites of the CHIP makers and reprogramers and see what they show from the dyno.

Old 03-11-2011, 07:52 PM
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by plumsauce
If he has done over 30 Jags so far, why does he not already have the software? Or, are you his way of financing the software?
Not sure, but I think it's sold by the copy from what he said. Kinda of like a copy of Windows. Sometimes there is a way to reuse an existing copy and that's what I was waiting to hear. I was told it could be anywhere from $200-$700 depending on how much it costs him to procure it.

To be clear here, I am not vouching for the guy yet, just sharing my adventures along the way. I'm not about to drop any hard earned money without some tangible proof, but I just don't see this guy being a slick salesman type, or one that really needs the money.

If I go through with it there will be dyno run before and after on the same day to see.

Old 03-11-2011, 07:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 217 Likes on 129 Posts

NOTHING NEW HERE.
If you look through the car magazines, you will see ads for chips that jump up the power or milage. There are a lot of hand held reprogrammers running around for the diesel pick-up crowd.

Many times jumping up the horsepower means buying fuel injectors that can put more fuel out per shot.

The problem that comes with the DIY programmer changes is that a change here changes something else there.

14.7 is ideal for motoring but not power. The 12 to 1 is what is needed for power.

Down through the years I have seen the "boys" up-grade one thing and see something else bust. They upgrade that and here comes another weak link to break.

Get a mag, and go to the web sites of the CHIP makers and reprogramers and see what they show from the dyno.
There is no evidence that works for the Jaguar. The Jaguars ECU hasnt been cracked yet for companies like you are talking about to do an off the shelf tune. This has been discussed for a long time on here. Most of those off the shelf tunes you are talking about are for your common cars that are everywhere that people have been tuning for years. (ie Mustang, Camaros) Jags are your typical tuner car therefor you aren't gonna find a Diablosport, SCT Tuner, etc in the back of some Motortrend for it.

Old 03-11-2011, 08:57 PM

YOU KIDS NEED TO GET OUT MORE OFTEN.

Jaguar chips and you will get over 500,000 hits. A car like mine can get 60 more HP.

Old 03-11-2011, 09:13 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Glendoramike
YOU KIDS NEED TO GET OUT MORE OFTEN.

Jaguar chips and you will get over 500,000 hits. A car like mine can get 60 more HP.
Sweet order it up. I'd be curious to see your before and after dynos so I can see that 60hp. Its been gone over a ton on the forums do some searching. Those half a million are probably mainly from this forum of people asking about how to tune the ECU. If you find something that works I'll be first in line to pick one up.

Last edited by vance580; 03-11-2011 at 09:18 PM.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:10 PM

I don't need to crank up my HP. If I wanted that I would have bought a Corvette with the big motor. Or a supercharged Jag.

Once you get to the post 2000 Jags, you don't need to pull the ECM out to de-solder the EPROM to reprogram it. Now you can do it through the OBDII connection. What do you guys think the whole OBDII thing is about? My Jag got some changes done quick and easy during recalls. They just hook her up and put in the changes.

Jag isn't a one of a kind outfit. My TPS is made by Denso. They make them for other car companies too.

What I see in the Jag engine control systems is not different than a whole lot of other cars. Even the parts are made by the same companies.

Before I retired from mechanicing I was:
ASE MASTER MECHANIC IN AUTO AND HEAVY DUTY TRUCK, BOTH GAS AND DIESEL ENGINES. I HAD BOTH THE CAR AND HEAVY TRUCK CERTS IN ELECTRONIC ENGINE CONTROL SYSTEMS

Old 03-11-2011, 10:41 PM
Veteran Member

I don't need to crank up my HP. If I wanted that I would have bought a Corvette with the big motor. Or a supercharged Jag.

Once you get to the post 2000 Jags, you don't need to pull the ECM out to de-solder the EPROM to reprogram it. Now you can do it through the OBDII connection. What do you guys think the whole OBDII thing is about? My Jag got some changes done quick and easy during recalls. They just hook her up and put in the changes.

Jag isn't a one of a kind outfit. My TPS is made by Denso. They make them for other car companies too.

What I see in the Jag engine control systems is not different than a whole lot of other cars. Even the parts are made by the same companies.

ASE MASTER MECHANIC IN AUTO AND HEAVY DUTY TRUCK, BOTH GAS AND DIESEL ENGINES. I HAD BOTH THE CAR AND HEAVY TRUCK CERTS IN ELECTRONIC ENGINE CONTROL SYSTEMS
If it was that easy why is there several posts of all of us looking for a shop to do this. OBD port is also for diagnosis. I have an ELMScan5 that I can hook through the OBDII port but I sure cant change any parameters on it. The problem lies in that no one has been able to find anyone that can make the programs to send through the OBDII to change the parameters for more power and proven that they can do so. I dont think the tech is sitting there changing shift points and fuel curves when he is hooking up their computer to your OBDII port they just dont have the time to care about your car that much. Jag corporate comes out with a program to fix a recall or whatever it gets sent to the dealership who just plug it up and hit send and send you on your way. We have been trying to find someone that can basically do what they do at corporate and adjust that stuff while dynoing to make sure they are doing it right and then store it within the ECU and so far no one has been able to find that person. Which is why this post came about. Pushing_Tin found a guy who claims he is able to do this and now we have to see if this guy is able to produce what he claims.
I had my last car dyno tuned with a chip and it only gave me about 20hp. The main reason I got it was for the shift points. The chip it was burned to had to be plugged into the side of the ECU I dont even know if we could do that. Most of the other car companies I know Ford for sure has a seperate port on there ECU's that is actually where you put the chip and that is where it reads the tune off of it. I know the handheld tuners go through the OBDII but I have never heard of anyone who has programmed one for the R's or been able to upload it to the ECU.

Old 03-11-2011, 10:55 PM

The last recall of my XJ8 was to change the what the trans was doing to cut emissons. If you googled Jaguar chips, you would see that there are outfits that come and do the EPROM changes at your home or work. You just need a post 2000 Jag for that. SCAN TOOLS are not set up to reprogram an EPROM. There is more to changing an EPROM than selecting more HP. The big HP gains come from changing the fuel injectors.

Old 03-11-2011, 11:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Whoa!! Perfect AFR is 14.7:1 on a NATURALLY ASPERATED motor try that in a FORCED INDUCTION and I hope you have deep pockets. Ideal AFR in a FORCED INDUCTION is 12.5:1-13:1 AFR.

Alot of race cars will run 13:1-14:1 but they tear the engines down after every race longevity is not an issue.

In FI you want 12.5:1 for a perfect balance of longevity and performance.
It's hard to daily drive a motor you have to tear down every 500 miles or so.

Old 03-11-2011, 11:13 PM
Veteran Member

If you found something by googling Jaguar chips can you link it. Cause thats giving me is a bunch of useless links to nothing even resembling a chip. The closest I came across was this.
http://www.performancechiptuning.com...Chip+Module/7/
Which is the most worthless thing I have ever seen. I might as well run 2 leads from my battery to 3 $20 bills cause it will do the same thing, burn up 60 bucks. I mean there is no dynos no legitimate evidence of what it even does. I mean look at the ad 81% FELT an improvement. Are you serious? Is that what there basing their gain on a butt dyno. Maybe I'm just not searching good enough but I'm really trying to find what you are talking about. It there anything else you typed in besides Jaguar chip into google cause thats what I typed and pretty much came up with nothing.

Last edited by vance580; 03-11-2011 at 11:19 PM.
Old 03-12-2011, 12:02 AM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This site is the best in performance chips http://www.performancechiptuning.com/Jaguar/S-Type/

***Vance you ever heard of PTSD? YOu need to chill out and go with the flow yo! Come down to Mississippi and I'll hook you up with some of my Mandingo's Cure Drug, plus it will help you concentrate in school

Old 03-12-2011, 12:02 AM

Here's a link: http://www.store.autosvs.com/ecm2001...v63-p-466.html This will do Jag's, Ford's, etc.

The problem is that these are not cheap and it isn't something that a DIY should really be doing. Notice that it talks about "MAPS." Changing the spark advance can cause other components to work against what you are trying to do. It takes dyno time and and engineering ability to get it right. Once you have a good map, you can go out and rewrite the EPROMS.
THE BOTTOM LINE IS THAT BIG HP COMES FROM BIGGER INJECTORS.

I've seen exploded turbos from HP jobs that over-spun the turbo. BOOOM!!!

I know about the battery thing. It's like J.C. Whitney. Put all the gas savers on your car and you'll have to stop every couple of blocks to drain out the gas that you are making.

Old 03-12-2011, 12:22 AM
Old 03-12-2011, 12:28 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jaguar007
This site is the best in performance chips http://www.performancechiptuning.com/Jaguar/S-Type/

***Vance you ever heard of PTSD? YOu need to chill out and go with the flow yo! Come down to Mississippi and I'll hook you up with some of my Mandingo's Cure Drug, plus it will help you concentrate in school
Just to humor you I have heard of PTSD. Do you have some sort of problem with people with PTSD? Any other questions you got. Sorry cant take you up on your offer since I dont do drugs, thanks anyways.
Got a question for you ever heard of Pseudologia fantastica? Might want to check that out.

To Gendoramike thanks for the links I'll check them out.

Last edited by vance580; 03-12-2011 at 12:53 AM.
Old 03-12-2011, 12:43 AM

The folks that jaguar007 linked to does the tricky stuff. The system other than than the ground cables is probably a device that changes the readings that the O2 sensor sends to the ECM. Fool it into thinking that the mixture is lean and you get more fuel into the cylinders. We used to shut down the feed from the engine temperature senders in the OBDI systems to put the system into "Open Loop." You could then feed the nitrous oxide and extra fuel without the ECM trying to lean things back down.

Old 03-12-2011, 07:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

The main differences in the S-Type's PCMs are that they are unusual, especially the 2002.5+ ones (which changed again 2004.5). They are Denso PCMs with twin CPUs inside. Few other cars use those. It is not clear who if anyone in the aftermarket can actually tune these when used with jags.

The diesel S-Types are different, I'm not covering those here.

Most of the "chip tunes" are bunkum for S-Types, just tweaking to run leaner or the like. These ones do not reprogram the PCM, they just lie about a sensor or two.

Most everyone interested in tuning on here knows already that it would be done through the DLC (data link connector, i.e. OBD socket), btw. This is not a new subject here

edit: on the STR and other era S-Types to reflash the OBD tool must also drive a specific reserved OBD pin to a special voltage. An appropriate J2534 tool is likely good enough.

edit2: generic OBD tools such as elm327 do not have the ability to provide the reprogramming voltage so can't reflash a PCM.

Last edited by JagV8; 03-12-2011 at 10:57 AM.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:14 AM
Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

There are a number of European tuners reprogramming the ECU's, and a number of their "trainees" are now setup in the U.S.--mostly in larger cities. Most of their success comes from remapping the fuel injections on turbo gas engines. They can take the 227 hp Volvo engine to 270 hp without other mods, for example. On a normally aspirated engine, I would think they'd get 20 hp--scarcely worth the trouble. They better really know what they're doing--to keep from frying an engine.

My 7.3 Superduty diesel has had an 80 hp econo ECM flash. Before, I could barely chirp a tire. Now, I can light both rear tires up at 25 mph when I stomp on it.
And, I went from 18 mpg to 20 mpg @ 70 mph. The tuner I use has something like 140 different horsepower/transmission settings. This kind of performance improvements only come in diesels, and high horsepower requires constant monitering of exhaust gas temperatures. The newest diesels with 400 hp are not being modified, as the factories have rigged the ECM's as to not allow reprogramming.

Quick Reply: ECU changes