S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical / Battery drain problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2017, 12:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,442 Likes on 898 Posts

Which circuit fed from Fuse #33, once isolated, resolves the excess QCD?

Another reported cause, becoming more widespread as cars have aged, could be the ignition switch flap sticking open when key is withdrawn . . . thus keeping PATS actively preventing the car achieving sleep.

Cheers

Ken

Old 12-10-2020, 12:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002s battery drain, gem module

Originally Posted by Brutal
without looking up the wiring diagram, yes. And as ive think ive pointed out in other threads on this issue. The #1 common drain on a stype is the elctrical portion of the ignition switch. I just had 1 3 weeks ago that intermittently drained the battery. When youde take the key out, if you didnt pay attention the key comes out and the switch is not in the off position as it wouldnt shut off the radio. Now if the radio was already off you wouldnt notice that the switch is not all the way off and the mdoules stay powered up. This is not a for sure diag on a bad switch, but just a symptom of that car.
Gems gecm is general electrical control module aka body processor. Its nothing more than a programmable electrical module that can perform many differant functions depending on how its configured.
my 2002 s has been in the shop for over 2 months now due to a battery drain. i took it in & was told i need a new radio, i didnt believe that, i saw your post about the ignition that its always the ignition & thought that made sense, took it to another shop & was told it was the GEM module, was told to take it to jag dealer to have it programed or replaced but my local jag says they dont work on anything older then 2008 but recommended another shop that does, its been there for over 2 months now... help! please!!!

Old 12-10-2020, 12:18 PM

oh , i did put a battery tender on it but it still would go dead and the battery was fully charged. at first it was only going dead if i didnt drive it every day. the radio is a draw but it still has a draw & goes dead with the radio fuse pulled. last 2 shops say its in Gem module but have not come up with a fix.

Old 12-15-2020, 06:18 PM

pardon my ignorance, how do I find the sticky how to for this battery drain issue? re: cat_as_trophy post 5.13.17

thnx
BP

07 S type 3.0

Last edited by BPetersen5; 12-15-2020 at 06:21 PM. Reason: added additional detail to question
Old 01-07-2021, 11:30 AM

hi Brutal, my 2002S has been in a shop that my local jaguar dealer recommended because they dont work on anything older then 2008. It has been there for 3 months now. my problem is a draw on battery with it going dead if i didnt drive it everyday. i was first told by a mechanic to get a new radio, that the radio was draining it. but that didnt make sense to me and i still had a sizable draw when radio fuse was pulled so i took it to a different mechanic & he tracked my battery draw down to the GEM & told me to take it to jag dealer to have the GEM programed or replaced.
i have told both the last two mechanics what you have said about the ignitiion that its always the ignition but just the electrial part. but i do have GEM draws and that kinda makes sense to me because i do have issues with the air conditioner not getting cold and that was something that had been fixed before this battery drain issue and also i cant get the inside the car lights to come on and think that might be something to do with the gem? Should i jusdt get my car back and use it for yard art?
when i called about it after a month iwas told it just takes a long time to track down the draws because they have to wait 45 minutes for the car to go back to sleep everytime a door or something is opened. They offered to return it to me if i didnt want to wait for them to track it down but what then, the battery tender does not keep it charged for me. Any suggestions please. im not a mechanic or mechanically inclined, im 24/7 caregiver and my caree did love riding in it. would go weeee when i would speed up iin it.

Old 01-08-2021, 12:20 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Electrical drain problems

If I may add, I had a parasitic battery drain that turned out to be a faulty temperature sending unit and a wire harness plug that were both bad. This was a real problem because there were no pigtails to fit Jaguar temperature sending unit though many parts stores said there’s was an exact fit. Lol! I ended up using a Toyota sending unit that was similar to Jags and a pigtail that fit the sender. The problem of course was that the cooling fan would run for 30 minutes after I shut the engine off, even for short hops to the grocery store. I replaced the thermostat before with A little improvement. This problem caused a P0128 code as I remember. Love my jag!

The following 2 users liked this post by WendellB:
cal4pamiam (01-09-2021), kr98664 (01-08-2021)