S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Embarassing electrical failure

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2023 | 06:07 PM
|
Default Embarassing electrical failure

2000 S-Type 3.0 V6 - I am not seeking pity but I was battling an episode of essential tremors in my hands all day while I was trying to replace the radio/ac temp/seat heating console unit in my dash.
At some point emotion overrode my logical thinking...

The console would neither come out or go in with the automatic geat knob forward
I knew I had to rotate the key some to allow the shifter to move
That little voice said unhook the battery before you unplug all these electrical plug-ins
but being an intense time crunch fighting the clock kinda guy I am, I did not
with the key twisting right so it gives accessory power, I plugged in the new-used console unit
-----now the windows will not go up,the car wont start, the car went dead completely.......sob
I spent 3 hours pulling fuses, found one bad in the trunk, #11 for Power systems-1 but the car is now dead
Its not easy for me to say this, I have broken 2 windshields on my cars fighting my shaking hands so I can live my life without filing for disability
the struggle sometimes causes more damage than fixing, but overall I have done alot of work
Today I made a huge mistake
I am afraid area mechanics are going to take me to the cleaners on this one and came here to see if I could get some expert insight on where to look
I am trying to stay positive and forgive myself knowing what I deal with............thank you..........D

Last edited by Designeer; 08-12-2023 at 07:17 PM.
Old 08-12-2023 | 09:17 PM
Veteran Member

In the immortal words of Douglas Adams:

"Don't panic!"

Might seem hard to believe, but troubleshooting a massive problem is often easier than chasing a minor fault. But first, a few questions:

What symptoms prompted you to replace the radio and climate control panel?

Are the replacements known good, or were they purchased without having seen them work?

Please define "won't start". Does anything happen when you turn the key, such as the starter engaging or maybe just a big click?

Does anything electrical work? How about manually turning on the headlights? Anything from the brake lights when you step on the pedal?

What is the meaning of life, the universe, and everything? (Bonus points if you know this reference.)

The following users liked this post:
Designeer (08-13-2023)
Old 08-13-2023 | 07:48 AM
|

----Dear kr98664, thank you so much for your kindness in responding :-)

"What symptoms prompted you to replace the radio and climate control panel?"

----100% cosmetic motivated, that drawer had broken and in trying to fix it I broke other plastic on the console, it looked awful.

Are the replacements known good, or were they purchased without having seen them work?

---I bought used console off ebay without knowing if it functions correctly..........

Please define "won't start". Does anything happen when you turn the key, such as the starter engaging or maybe just a big click?

---In the first 3 attempts to start it, there was the big clicks,and speedo did its usual turn of the dial, but more attempts and all life vanished.........

Does anything electrical work? How about manually turning on the headlights? Anything from the brake lights when you step on the pedal?

----Thank you for guiding me to step #1- no headlights or brake lights, it may be some kind of main fuse is blown, I bet the battery still has plenty charge.

What is the meaning of life, the universe, and everything? (Bonus points if you know this reference.)

---- I am an old Monty Python fan, another reason besides good looks and performence I like Jaguar.
-----Going for a 2 hour bicycle ride, I'll be back.........THANK YOU

Old 08-13-2023 | 08:18 AM
Veteran Member

@ Karl: The answer to life the universe and everything is 42.
@ Designeer: The gear know was in the way? You know that that you can very easily screw off the wooden top, right? First open the counter-nut underneath, then screw off wooden knob.

Designeer (08-13-2023)
Old 08-13-2023 | 10:12 AM
|

Originally Posted by Peter_of_Australia
@ Karl: The answer to life the universe and everything is 42.
@ Designeer: The gear know was in the way? You know that that you can very easily screw off the wooden top, right? First open the counter-nut underneath, then screw off wooden knob.
----The numerical equivalent of the asterisk character in ASCII is the number 42. So what Douglas Adams is trying to tell us is this - The meaning to life, universe and everything else is the number 42, that is,
View this post on Instagram
----Well this struggling artist who loves form and beauty wants to drive his old S-type again, it also has something to do with pride, like wearing a tie with your suit, looking your best on special occasions.
--The entire spindle lever had to move all the way down to D-drive to make room, but I should have disconnected the battery, that was the cause I believe. I asked a beautiful woman for brunch this morning and trying tio fix that unsightly broken console in time befroe it got dark, in my driveway without a garage, in blazing heat. I messed it up.

Old 08-13-2023 | 11:05 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Designeer
I asked a beautiful woman for brunch this morning…
Ah, the allure of a beautiful woman. The root cause of many sub-optimal decisions we make…

So did she give you brunch, as requested? Or did you mean for her to meet you somewhere for brunch? Two different scenarios…

Back to your car. Hard to believe the newly installed components could kill all electrical power, but let’s try reversing the steps. You mentioned some activity with the first few start attempts, followed by no response at all. No brake lights or headlights, either. Does anything electrical work, such as the dome lights or horn? Looking for clues if the main fuse has blown.

Are you able to move the shift lever aft, out of Park? You’ll have to press the brake pedal, but there may be no response from the gear shift interlock if no power. Not sure if simply removing the knob will give enough clearance. First undo the lock nut at the base of the knob. Then the knob should unthread freely.

Next, undo the battery ground cable. Remove the newly installed dash components. If the gear shift lever is still in the way, even sans knob, there is a manual release but I’d have to look that up.

With the new components removed and battery disconnected, peel back or remove the trunk liner near the battery. IIRC, the megafuse is located outboard and forward of the battery. Can’t remember all the details, but there may be two side by side. One is for the starter and charging system, and the other is for everything else.

Report back what you find and I’ll look up more details on the megafuse(s) in the meantime. Inspect the dash area, too. Look for a connector left loose or signs of damage.

Don’t forget to call the previously mentioned beautiful woman. If she laughs about it, suggests a Plan B, and doesn’t hate her father, she is likely a keeper. If not, just buy her a house and save yourself the inevitable intermediate steps.

The following 2 users liked this post by kr98664:
Designeer (08-13-2023), S-Type Owner (08-13-2023)
Old 08-13-2023 | 11:59 AM
Veteran Member

I was slightly less correct than usual about the location of the megafuse. Only 1 on the early models, as I just discovered looking at the wiring diagrams.

This megafuse is located next to the fuse panel in the trunk. It looks to be on the side of the panel, at the forward left corner. Fold up the floor and look forward of the spare tire. No need to remove any side panels.
​​

Designeer (08-13-2023)
Old 08-13-2023 | 12:00 PM
|

Ah, the allure of a beautiful woman. The root cause of many sub-optimal decisions we make…

---yes, 2 guys I know, a father and son want to simultaneously file for divorce.....ah but the potential of something that may work with a beautiful electrifying (no pun intended) woman......:-).....make me feel alive

So did she give you brunch, as requested? Or did you mean for her to meet you somewhere for brunch? Two different scenarios…

--she came from out off town not to see me but to take some special dance lessons with masters of that style........I tried to get brunch.......a strrap broke on her high heels......and she cancelled to go get new dance shoes before the class today...........I am second fiddle...........mabe 51 fiddle......who knows :-)

Back to your car. Hard to believe the newly installed components could kill all electrical power, but let’s try reversing the steps. You mentioned some activity with the first few start attempts, followed by no response at all. No brake lights or headlights, either. Does anything electrical work, such as the dome lights or horn?

-----dome lights wor, horn will not blow even with the key turned on.............another clue

Looking for clues if the main fuse has blown.

Are you able to move the shift lever aft, out of Park? You’ll have to press the brake pedal, but there may be no response from the gear shift interlock if no power.

--------yes, able to move it when I depresss barke

Next, undo the battery ground cable. Remove the newly installed dash components.With the new components removed and battery disconnected, peel back or remove the trunk liner near the battery. IIRC, the megafuse is located outboard and forward of the battery. Can’t remember all the details, but there may be two side by side. One is for the starter and charging system, and the other is for everything else.

------I did peel back the upholstery and apparently the 2000 model does not have it in the same place as 2002 or later.........I attach pics........for about 6 hours I cannot access my tools to disconnect battery and do any wretching..........maybe tonight........did not find the megafuse.......yet

call the previously mentioned beautiful woman. just buy her a house and save yourself the inevitable intermediate steps.

----lol :-)

Last edited by Designeer; 08-13-2023 at 12:03 PM.
Old 08-13-2023 | 12:04 PM
|

EXAMPLE of where it is in older models past 2000...........

JagV8 (08-13-2023)
Old 08-13-2023 | 12:15 PM
|

THANK YOU Karl !!!
I will do this tonight.......THANK YOU !!!
I'll get back to you..........D

Old 08-13-2023 | 05:18 PM
|

Dear Karl,

Just now I found at least one main fuse 175 amps, I used a voltmeter to touch the top and bottom lug of it, 6.3 volts it read on both lugs so current is running through it that is why the domelights work, but there must be a seond mani fuse like other models have ?? Headlights and horn dont work.

Old 08-13-2023 | 06:10 PM
|

I found a 2001 wiring guide even though I have a 2000 s-type..........I see only one Mega fuse..........but lots of other relays and control boxes...........

Old 08-13-2023 | 06:20 PM
|

PASSIVE ANTI-THEFT SYSTEM CONNECTED TO INSTRUMENT PACK..........

Old 08-13-2023 | 10:38 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Designeer
Just now I found at least one main fuse 175 amps, I used a voltmeter to touch the top and bottom lug of it, 6.3 volts it read on both lugs...
Where's my 11-foot pole? Something ain't right.

What is your battery voltage, as measured between the two posts? Has the battery run down to 6.3 volts? If so, that's about as dead as can be. Or is there a problem with the measurement itself, such as a.bad ground or a detective meter? You should be seeing battery voltage on at least one side of that fuse.

The following 2 users liked this post by kr98664:
Designeer (08-14-2023), S-Type Owner (08-14-2023)
Old 08-13-2023 | 11:19 PM
|

What is your battery voltage, as measured between the two posts?
---The battery measured 6.6 assuming my voltmeter is working or set right

If so, that's about as dead as can be. bad ground or a detective meter?

--Tomorrow morning I will use the same voltmeter on my economy car to see what it says........thanks

You should be seeing battery voltage on at least one side of that fuse

-----I did measure voltage running through the mega fuse, but now maybe my battery went dead for some reason unknown....

THANK YOU SO MUCH KARL FOR YOUR GUIDANCE IN TRACKING IT DOWN.......Demetrios :-)

Old 08-14-2023 | 06:41 AM
|

Monday morning 7:37 am, the battery tested at 3.3volts down from 6.6 last night
either a short is draining it or simultaneously battery is dying at this juncture as well
automatic battery charger in place
will check again in about 4 hours

Old 08-14-2023 | 07:30 AM
Veteran Member

It may only partially recharge, so be very wary of trusting it.

The following 4 users liked this post by JagV8:
Designeer (08-14-2023), jya (08-15-2023), kr98664 (08-14-2023), S-Type Owner (08-14-2023)
Old 08-14-2023 | 07:34 AM
Veteran Member

Once any battery shows a ridiculous low voltage like 3.3V, it is dead for good and can not be resuscitated anymore....

The following 4 users liked this post by Peter_of_Australia:
Designeer (08-14-2023), jya (08-15-2023), kr98664 (08-14-2023), S-Type Owner (08-14-2023)
Old 08-14-2023 | 11:04 AM
|

Originally Posted by Peter_of_Australia
Once any battery shows a ridiculous low voltage like 3.3V, it is dead for good and can not be resuscitated anymore....
Thank you both Peter and JagV8 - perhaps I am in fact only partially recharging it, THANK YOU for your insights.......

---11:55 am Schumacher auto charger uses 10amps to charge until it gets to maintenance mode, is still charging, it has a "bad battery" feature, so far it appears to be gaining some charge, no warnings
--- In a couple more hours I will test for 12Volts at the battery, attempt to get my windows to go up to protect from rain
----then check headlights working
---if it cranks over and starts, I will replace the battery for sure anyway.......THANK YOU for your insights...

Old 08-14-2023 | 11:17 AM
Veteran Member

If it recovers (and maybe it will?) you're looking for over 12.6V - the "12V" isn't really correct.

You'll know really by whether it cranks & starts...

Confession: mine will even at 11.8V (oops, used an OBD tool (key on engine off) too long...)

The following 2 users liked this post by JagV8:
Designeer (08-14-2023), kr98664 (08-14-2023)

Quick Reply: Embarassing electrical failure