S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

engine coolant low

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 04:15 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought I should give an update. Got up this morning. Coolant had drained out and was below "low" marker. Back to mechanic. Turns out that mechanic had damaged connection where rubber hose connects to tank holding coolant. Drove home tonight and all good so far.

Old 03-19-2013, 06:17 PM

Okay. Problems again. Got up this morning and checked coolant level. Coolant is below "low" level again and warning light comes on after driving 50m down the street. this is after new water pump, radiator and mechanic saying he had pressure tested the system and found no leaks. Any ideas guys as I am getting increasingly concerned?

Old 03-19-2013, 08:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,643 Likes on 1,068 Posts

OK, Radiator and water pump...but thus far no mention of renewing the common leak points: Upper rad hose asy, coolant exp tank asy, DCCV

Most common location on the first 2 is the nipple at either end of the overflow hose on 2003+ ...I believe pre-2003 has a different tank and upper rad asy, so not sure if that is true for them. Even though different, those parts have history of leaking on pre-2003 - just not sure if at overflow connection.

All of those components can leak and leave little easily visible trace ...Many people first learn they are leaking by coolant low light or "roast glycol" smell on shutdown.

Old 03-20-2013, 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by aholbro1
OK, Radiator and water pump...but thus far no mention of renewing the common leak points: Upper rad hose asy, coolant exp tank asy, DCCV

Most common location on the first 2 is the nipple at either end of the overflow hose on 2003+ ...I believe pre-2003 has a different tank and upper rad asy, so not sure if that is true for them. Even though different, those parts have history of leaking on pre-2003 - just not sure if at overflow connection.

All of those components can leak and leave little easily visible trace ...Many people first learn they are leaking by coolant low light or "roast glycol" smell on shutdown.
That's interesting. What does roast glycol smell like? I had smelt what I thought was burning oil for a while.

Old 03-20-2013, 12:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,643 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Originally Posted by Russell11
That's interesting. What does roast glycol smell like? I had smelt what I thought was burning oil for a while.

Might've been....changed your IMT O-rings lately? There's an excellent "How-to" by Rick somewhere in here....and I'm pretty sure your model has them... Burnt glycol is a much "sweeter" smell than burnt oil - which is kinda caustic, IMO...maybe personal trait, maybe even TMI...but hot anti-freeze tends to make me sniff the air like a dog seeking the source and burnt oil makes the bridge of my nose scrunch up and makes me go "ewwe"

Next time you are burning storm-sticks and limbs in the yard, go get your jug of anti-freeze and flick a few drops onto the hot coals...you'll see....it is recognizable from the cold-anti-freeze smell...but different

Edit: I have no idea what I hit to get the drumming Indian and his buds! Nor what they are supposed to signify...

Last edited by aholbro1; 03-20-2013 at 08:40 PM.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by aholbro1

Might've been....changed your IMT O-rings lately? There's an excellent "How-to" by Rick somewhere in here....and I'm pretty sure your model has them... Burnt glycol is a much "sweeter" smell than burnt oil - which is kinda caustic, IMO...maybe personal trait, maybe even TMI...but hot anti-freeze tends to make me sniff the air like a dog seeking the source and burnt oil makes the bridge of my nose scrunch up and makes me go "ewwe"

Next time you are burning storm-sticks and limbs in the yard, go get your jug of anti-freeze and flick a few drops onto the hot coals...you'll see....it is recognizable from the cold-anti-freeze smell...but different
Thanks.