S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

engine light came on after changing spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 11:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy engine light came on after changing spark plugs

I changed my spark plugs a few days back but was only able to change the passenger sid plugs because two nuts on the driver side where stripped in attemps to remove them. So I just decided to change the passenger side ones for now untill I can get those nuts off. My car was fine for two days, the next morning the engine check light came on. what could have caused this? could it be the plugs that I put in? I put in autolite xp plugs I gaped them correctly and all. Or maybe because I had the autolite xp and the jaguar oe plugs in? Or maybe the autolite xp plugs arent for my jag? I bought them from autozone they looked it up in there system and it came up so I bought them. when the light came on I took it to get a diagnostic reading and it cam up with about 7 codes. can't remember what they where but a few said the whole passenger side where missfiring. can anybody tell me whats going on? The car Runs great I know it's not missfiring so the plugs might have thrown the computer off. What type off plugs are best for these cars? what type of plug are the oe jaguar plugs? Im looking for plugs that will increasefueleconomy and acceleration I was thinking about getting me some super platinum bosch spark plugs.

Old 02-20-2011, 11:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 217 Likes on 129 Posts

Should post your car specs. Is it a V6 or V8?? A regular S type or and STR?? Also if you post the exact codes you will probably get a better response. Just because you dont hear or feel the misfire doesnt mean it isnt. I would post the specs and the codes and some of the experienced code guys can tell you exactly whats wrong but I'm gonna assume you need to change that other side. I have a feeling the car didnt respond well to getting one side of fresh plugs and not the other.

Old 02-21-2011, 12:45 AM
tdc
Received 63 Likes on 18 Posts

For what it worth..
Have you checked your coils?? my plugs never gave me any issues, it was always my coils..

please post your codes too.. that really helps us help you..

tdc.

Old 02-21-2011, 05:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts

Yes post codes and what 2 nuts did you strip?

AND PLEASE add your car details as asked above!

Old 02-21-2011, 05:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

The (a) coil(s) may not be secured to the head of the spark plug(s).

Old 02-21-2011, 08:34 AM
Default engine light came on after changing spark plugs

I own a 2003 jaguar s type 3.0 V6. Prior to installing the new plugs I had to change the the valve cover gasket and spark plug well gasket because oil was getting inside the spark plug wells I couldn't do it on the other side because the nuts that secure the the bracket for the jaguar plastic cover that goes over the ther right valve cover (looking from the front of engine). Will it be ok to just put the new plugs in the driver side even though I have an oil leake in those spark plug wells? I'll post up the codes later today when I go back to autozone. Can any body tell what type of spark plug is the oe plugs. Are they platnum, irridium etc?

The following users liked this post:
PaleRider (02-26-2011)
Old 02-21-2011, 09:38 AM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidRey
Im looking for plugs that will increasefueleconomy and acceleration
David,

Contrary to common myth, there are no such things. The cheapo dollar-store variety perform just as well as the high dollar OEM plugs, just not as long. 100K miles is the normal life for the OEM plugs, 20K for the cheap ones. Performance is the same during that lifespan.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:20 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

OEM spec book says the plug is XR8 42795, not sure about cross compatibility, or even what brand that is. Welsh has the plugs for $2.95 ea, but will cost probably $10 shipping. Nalley Jaguar or Gaudin Jaguar (JPAM) (both sponsors of this great forum!) can secure you plugs for under $6 ea, nalley even offers free shipping for anything over $25.

Regarding marketed sparkies, I learned along time ago to not dabble with fancy plugs, unless its on my mower or weed eater. Even the old 2000 jeep gets the original copper plugs still, the engine just operates at its best on them, especially fuel mileage wise.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:26 AM
Veteran Member

The OPs Autolite XPs are great plugs and fit the S Type 3.0 liter just dandy. I am running them in Joyces Jag and in Joels 2003 3.0 with NO problem-O!!

Old 02-21-2011, 11:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Originally Posted by h20boy
Even the old 2000 jeep gets the original copper plugs still, the engine just operates at its best on them, especially fuel mileage wise.

Yikes! Can you forward the memo? When did MY2000 Jeeps get "old?"

Old 02-21-2011, 05:08 PM

Ok so I was driving back home from work today and noticed the engine light is know off???? I was like whaaaaat?

Old 02-21-2011, 06:31 PM
Veteran Member

David, I think you are trying to say that the black plastic Jaguar cover has the stripped nuts right? There are 4 phillips screws holding that down. The "nuts" are not really nuts, they are the slide on clip type under the plastic slid onto metal hold down brackets. The 4 phillips screws should turn about a 1/4 turn and pop up (so to speak). I can't really see how they got stripped.

You still need to post the codes that are stored even though the idiot lights are off!

Old 02-21-2011, 06:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts

Vance I can see you itching to make that YouTuBe video for the Spark plug change,lolz, a lot of ppl on here like me are waiting patiently for March to arrive to see that video amigo!! I really wish I was closer to you, definately would have helped you out with the camera work or what not

Old 02-21-2011, 07:27 PM

Hey Rick, no I mean the actual nut that holds the jaguar engine cover bracket down on the valve cover I'ts an 8mm nut that stripped so now I cant get the valve cover off to fix the oil leak thats getting into the spark plug wells until I remove it. but for now Im just gonna replace the plugs on the driver side becaus I put in 3 new and left 3 old in. I just did'nt know if it was ok for oil to get on the spark plugs or not but as long as it doesn't reach the coil I gues I'll be fine till I get the nuts removed. Im probably gonna have to drill them and break them carfully unless They sell deep sockets to remove stripped nuts

Old 02-21-2011, 07:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

David, the CEL likely disappeared due to your 10th cycle of turning on and off the ignition. An electrical fault may have been accidentally triggered whilst installing the plugs. The lack of continued fault may have "not" been stored in the ECU, thus discarded after the 10th on/off of the ignition. Problem solved (Peter Sellers (Pink Panther).

Old 02-22-2011, 09:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,534 Likes on 3,943 Posts

It's not 10th. Much more complicated than that (read the doc if interested).

Old 02-25-2011, 09:57 AM

Hey guys Im back got the codes from the diagnostics reading here they are: po300, po301, po303, po305, p1316, p0020. Please note that my engine light is not on any more I drove it for a few miles and the light whent off but every thing seems to be runing as it should.

Old 02-25-2011, 10:03 AM

Also does any one happen to know how to properly use the autozone spark plug gapping tool? thers is two different ways to do it but they both give different mesurements. I just want to make sure that Im gapping my plugs correctly. you can glide the pluge around the edge of the tool until it stops or you can place the plug on the preffered size and see if the gap will clear that side of the tool. which is the right way? Hope this makes sense sorry this is the best way I can explaine.

Old 02-25-2011, 10:27 AM
Veteran Member

Glide the plug, if you insert at the correct gap and the factory gap is to small you risk damaging the electrode.

Adding vehicle details in signature will get you faster replies by the members with the most knowledge!

Old 02-25-2011, 05:36 PM

So during the time when I had the check engine light on after changing my spark plugs I purchased some other ones because the guy at autozone told me that it might be the plugs hel told me to get some different ones and bring the autolites xp103 plugs back. The guy at advanced autoparts suggested that I go with the ford motorcraft plugs because they are the oe plugs that originally came with the car. would it be best I go with the ford motorcraft plugs or just keep the autolite xp I have in my jag now? The ford plugs had the same part number as the jaguar plugs I took out.

"03" Jaguar S-Type 3.0

Quick Reply: engine light came on after changing spark plugs