S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine oil and tranny oil cooler hoses leaking. FAQ

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2019, 02:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts

Oh jeez ... two tries and both times it's done exactly the same thing. It gets loose and then it weeps. The weeping oil blows backwards and makes a mess. This isn't rocket science.
No there's noting wrong with the mating surface. It has been cleaned up and inspected both times. After the first time I thought maybe I had a brain fart and forgot to tighten it or it was fluke bad one.
I've seen enough. Would YOU like to buy the remainder of my case of NAPA oil filters?

I've got 50+ years experience with motor vehicles.

Old 07-07-2019, 03:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,048 Likes on 1,446 Posts

Originally Posted by Staatsof
Oh jeez ... two tries and both times it's done exactly the same thing. It gets loose and then it weeps.
Quick show of hands, please. Kettle corn or regular flavor? Anybody prefer cheddar flavor popcorn? Personally, I like a little grated Parmesan on mine.

As always, I'm not trying to bust your butt. I just find it hard to believe NAPA/Wix would offer a product that fails so reliably. I envision a team of engineers, armed with clipboards and dressed in labcoats, poring over their new design before releasing it on the unsuspecting public. Things might be less stringent with Fling Dung brand from China, but hopefully not so with a domestic name brand. But then again, I've seen Tommy Boy several times and know most of the dialogue by heart, so maybe the name on the box isn't always a good indication of quality.

I'm curious how the filter has come loose. I wonder if the seal compresses too much over time and releases tension on the threads, which lets the filter unwind. Or maybe it's the other way around and the seal doesn't offer enough friction to prevent unthreading in the first place.

Any chance the installation instructions are different? Perhaps the Jaguar manual says one thing, intended for the standard design of the time. Maybe the filter itself has different instructions for this new and allegedly improved design.

And no, I'm not interested in the rest of the case of filters. I don't think they fit my car...

Old 07-07-2019, 09:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by kr98664
Quick show of hands, please. Kettle corn or regular flavor? Anybody prefer cheddar flavor popcorn? Personally, I like a little grated Parmesan on mine.

As always, I'm not trying to bust your butt. I just find it hard to believe NAPA/Wix would offer a product that fails so reliably. I envision a team of engineers, armed with clipboards and dressed in labcoats, poring over their new design before releasing it on the unsuspecting public. Things might be less stringent with Fling Dung brand from China, but hopefully not so with a domestic name brand. But then again, I've seen Tommy Boy several times and know most of the dialogue by heart, so maybe the name on the box isn't always a good indication of quality.

I'm curious how the filter has come loose. I wonder if the seal compresses too much over time and releases tension on the threads, which lets the filter unwind. Or maybe it's the other way around and the seal doesn't offer enough friction to prevent unthreading in the first place.

Any chance the installation instructions are different? Perhaps the Jaguar manual says one thing, intended for the standard design of the time. Maybe the filter itself has different instructions for this new and allegedly improved design.

And no, I'm not interested in the rest of the case of filters. I don't think they fit my car...
My assessment is that the ridges are a bad idea. They don't provide the uniform tightness that a flat surface does and as you tighten them they fold over in several directions thus creating a fault at the fold. After several heat cycles it all begins to leaks a bit and loses tension.

If you don't think automotive engineers are quite this stupid consider this ..

My 90 Infiniti Q45 had plastic timing chain guides which eventually failed yet 10 years later the plastic timing chain guides on Jaguar V8s were doing the same exact thing.