S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engineering Test Mode?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 06:15 AM
Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Bull27, mumbo-jumbo is EXACTLY what it is as far as a user is concerned. You hit a bullseye there.
In case anyone is wondering, hex, or hexadcimal numbers are used in computing rather than decimal because of the more efficient use of memory which is basically organized into 8-bit bytes or 16-bit words, the hex notation being based on 0 to 15dec. This is very nice, BUT unless you know what the numbers represent, it is of course meaningless. Something bog-standard like the ASCII code for text (I'm using it now this second) can be accommodated in 7 bits, to include a few simple graphics, with 1 bit left for parity checking.
I wonder if the car makers realize the damaging effect of this "disconnected attitude" they seem to have. By restricting information to a chosen few dealers ( and I'm not just criticising Jaguar for this, other makers are just as bad) the negative effect on the car's residual values, the negative effect on PR, must count as what we call in England an "OWN GOAL". Quite naturally, the far eastern makers leap on this hugely brainless state of mind and profit accordingly.
When I was service manager for Sony in 1970, I would often give parts away if they cost less than the cost of the invoice raised. ANYONE who wanted information got it, it cost us just a sheet of A4 or two and a little copier time. I would bend over backwards to help ANYONE who was kind enough to buy a Sony product; that's the way to keep a customer for life.
Leedsman.

Last edited by Leedsman; 04-26-2010 at 06:17 AM. Reason: grammar correction.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

Originally Posted by Leedsman
Bull27, mumbo-jumbo is EXACTLY what it is as far as a user is concerned. You hit a bullseye there.
In case anyone is wondering, hex, or hexadcimal numbers are used in computing rather than decimal because of the more efficient use of memory which is basically organized into 8-bit bytes or 16-bit words, the hex notation being based on 0 to 15dec. This is very nice, BUT unless you know what the numbers represent, it is of course meaningless. Something bog-standard like the ASCII code for text (I'm using it now this second) can be accommodated in 7 bits, to include a few simple graphics, with 1 bit left for parity checking.
I wonder if the car makers realize the damaging effect of this "disconnected attitude" they seem to have. By restricting information to a chosen few dealers ( and I'm not just criticising Jaguar for this, other makers are just as bad) the negative effect on the car's residual values, the negative effect on PR, must count as what we call in England an "OWN GOAL".
Why the diatribe about hex? I pointed out there are few hex numbers. And going on about ASCII and parity etc - WHY DID YOU DO THAT? What "disconnected attitude"? This is a feature ONLY aimed at their own techs which no customer would normally ever know existed let alone use.

And as for "restricting information to a chosen few dealers", under USA and EU law they cannot do that (and as far as I know, don't).

Old 04-26-2010, 08:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

One thing I did notice is that you have the capability of having a digital tach or speedometer. This might be helpful as a backup in case either gauge fails. The gauge reads about 2% faster than the digital check in the ETM though.

Mike

Old 04-26-2010, 08:36 AM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by carelm
One thing I did notice is that you have the capability of having a digital tach or speedometer. This might be helpful as a backup in case either gauge fails. The gauge reads about 2% faster than the digital check in the ETM though.

Mike
My speedo is 6% fast as compared to the ETM and a GPS. Still looking for a solution.

Old 04-26-2010, 08:41 AM
Veteran Member

Why do you think that's not as designed? It's within the legal spec. isn't it?

Also, is it possible the car ever had different rims/tires? The car needs programming for the size. Have you had a dealer check what it's now set as?

Old 04-26-2010, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by jagv8
Why do you think that's not as designed? It's within the legal spec. isn't it?

Also, is it possible the car ever had different rims/tires? The car needs programming for the size. Have you had a dealer check what it's now set as?
The spec is difficult to interpret:

"ETM displayed speed figure will be
approx 3% higher than speed
indicated by speedometer.

Allowed tolerance – minus
nothing/+ 10% + 2.5 mile/h."

Is the '+10%' tolerance meant to be 10% of 3% (ie 3.3%) or is it 10% total error? Do you then add 2.5mph on top or is 2.5 mph the maximum allowed error?

The car was delivered new with 17" wheels and still had the OEM tires on it when I bought it. There's nothing on the service history to indicate a recalibration for different wheels.

I have a set of 16" OEM wheels with winter tires on them (OEM size). The speedo error factor is even larger due to the smaller overall diameter.

Had the previous owner recalibrated the speedo for the smaller wheels, it would now read slow and not fast with the 17" wheels.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:58 AM
Veteran Member

I referred to the legal spec. You look to be confusing legal with what someone in jag's technical writing group wrote. If you want to know what they meant, I guess you'd have to ask them - good luck with that!

Old 04-26-2010, 11:03 AM

You've referred to the 'legal spec' several times. You must therefore know what it is and where to find it. Can you clarify and point me to it so I can take this up with my dealer if indeed my car is not legal?

Old 04-26-2010, 11:21 AM
Veteran Member

Various people have referred to it and said the one thing a speedo (when manufactured) must not do is to under-read. Yours doesn't. I expect the full spec is online somewhere but if not try a supplier of legal textbooks or the like. Maybe an I/M station. google may find it. I can't think that 6% over would be too much, for where's the harm? Speedo says (for example) 50mph and actual is 6% less so about 47mph. Big deal. Or maybe it IS a big deal in Canada??? I don't know the laws there but I gotta say I doubt it.

Old 04-26-2010, 05:13 PM

Seems the US has the most precise and easy to find regulations. Maximum error for over-reading is 5%, or 1% more accurate than what I have.

So, I'm way out spec according to the ETM and illegal according to US law. Anybody know how to recalibrate an S-Type speedo?

Old 04-28-2010, 05:55 AM
Veteran Member

I was kind of interested in the oil pressure check so after consulting the documentation on the ETM where "L" is OK and "O" is low (silly Brits) I actually ran the check. The reading on my car is "H". Huh? What does "H" mean? It would be nice if the documentation had all the values the test actually is capable of displaying. Oh well, the gauge checks are fairly entertaining and I did get a digital tach, speedometer and a battery check out of the deal so I'm OK with it.

Mike

Old 04-28-2010, 07:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,359 Likes on 2,850 Posts

Mike,

My oil check shows the normal "L". My documentation doesn't show an "H" for that particular test, either. If I come up with something, I'll post it here....

My battery check shows a value of 11.9 which I perceive to be a bit on the low side so I'll keep an eye on it. It's the original factory battery, the car was built in May 2005, so it may be on its final lap. Is your battery original, and what does it read?

Old 04-28-2010, 08:42 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jon89
Mike,

My oil check shows the normal "L". My documentation doesn't show an "H" for that particular test, either. If I come up with something, I'll post it here....

My battery check shows a value of 11.9 which I perceive to be a bit on the low side so I'll keep an eye on it. It's the original factory battery, the car was built in May 2005, so it may be on its final lap. Is your battery original, and what does it read?
Hi Jon,

When I first start up the car the battery reads 15.0 for about two minutes then goes to 13.3 plus or minus .2. I have a Jaguar battery as well but it may be a replacement in that it looks almost brand new as well as both cables.

I noticed Thermo is scratching his head as well regarding his X-Type oil pressure values. He posted:

Code:
OIL G - oil pressure switch (G-bad, 0-good, I don't get it, but that is what it says and I am guessing on the meaning of G)
There must be some logic in how Jaguar came up with the oil pressure values but it appears to be well hidden. Since they are British, we must be thankful the cars retain their oil at all and not leave their markings on the surrounding roads and parking lots.

Mike

Old 04-28-2010, 09:18 AM
Veteran Member

Your voltages appear to be the alternator rather than battery, which was what Jon posted.

JTIS explains the volts you see, if you're interested.

Old 04-29-2010, 01:18 PM
Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Restricted information.

Originally Posted by jagv8
Why the diatribe about hex? I pointed out there are few hex numbers. And going on about ASCII and parity etc - WHY DID YOU DO THAT? What "disconnected attitude"? This is a feature ONLY aimed at their own techs which no customer would normally ever know existed let alone use.

And as for "restricting information to a chosen few dealers", under USA and EU law they cannot do that (and as far as I know, don't).
Try getting any really helpful software out of Jaguar. No, you gotta pay £100 per hour, almost as much as my lawyer charges me. I think that says it all.
To be even handed, Jaguar is not the only manufacturer with this disease.
Leedsman.