S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Entering Nav Address while driving

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 03:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Entering Nav Address while driving

Bump...I have no idea, but hopefully one the resident techs will chime in.

Old 09-07-2007, 09:28 PM
Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Default RE: Entering Nav Address while driving

good luck ....

Old 09-13-2007, 04:57 PM
Default I Hope No One Can Help

I have a hard enough time putting in the address in my Jaquar when I am at
a complete standstill.

You have to lean over and look at the screen, while typing the address, one
letter at a time. Then the system will promt you with a couple of choices.
And you are doing this while driving 55 mph or so on a two lane highway.

Jaguar might have areason for this restriction . . . . . It is called Safety -
FOR THE OTHER DRIVERS.

I'm just saying [sm=badidea.gif]

Old 09-15-2007, 08:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: I Hope No One Can Help

Hey phattydeluxe,
wish I could help you on that but I have no idea...

Old 09-17-2007, 06:39 AM

ORIGINAL: phattydeluxe

Thanks for your concern.

The fact is many navigation systems funtion in that way, allowing you to enter information while driving. Some people are more adept at multi-tasking while driving, or entering information quickly on touchscreens. It requires no more effort on my part than looking down briefly to change the station on the radio, or adjust the climate control. Most of the time I don't even need to enter an address, but rather something simple, like change the map search area or quickly choose a POI. No more than a couple of taps. This isn't unreasonable at all... like I said... MANY Nav systems operate in this fashion.

I got your back phatty…for those who don’t have the OEM Navi? Everything is integrated into the Navi including the climate and audio controls. I’m always doing some thing related with the Navi while driving; because everything is intregrated into it and it just takes a second or two. I have yet to enter an address only because I have not driven anywhere far enoughand I live in a fairly small area.

Old 09-17-2007, 07:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  cars.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  7.4 KB

Sorry I cant help you out there phatty.....I dont have navi on my X[&:]
I do however have sat nav on my A6 AND it allows you to search / input info etc etc at any time.
I use it all the time and input info while driving, talking on the phone, at the same time as checking my mirrors, indicating and manouevering between lanes, probably whilst smoking at the same time...lol
My point is as you stated earlier....its all about multi tasking, and yes, plain n simple truth is that some are better than others at this.
How many times does anyone look at their speedo, check mirrors ( all three of them ) indicate, use the clutch pedal, cover the brake whilst keeping a steady pressure on the gas to maintain speed, possibly whilst eating a sandwich and or drinking a can of coke, changing the radio station as well as chatting to the passenger?
All in the space of a few seconds!
We all do it to varying degrees......

Good luck with your search phatty

Jim

Old 09-17-2007, 10:42 AM

Multi tasking at work or on the computer is great , I highly recommend it.

But . . . . we are already at our limits while operating our vehicles.

As Jim stated : look at their speedo, check mirrors ( all three of them ) indicate, use the clutch pedal, cover the brake whilst keeping a steady pressure on the gas to maintain speed, possibly whilst eating a sandwich and or drinking a can of coke, changing the radio station as well as chatting to the passenger? And while you are at it add : Talking on your cell phone, turn signals, A/C adjustment , seat adjustment.

WOW . . . all that while driving.

And now you want to add another task to that , which would be the equivalent of sending a text message while driving.
. . . . . . Please tell me you don’t.

Yep . . . nobodyis not as good as driver as you are. You a not the norm.

I am very coordinated , alert and attuned to my surroundings at all times. Love cruising in my S-type on the toll road around the 120 range “very cool feeling”. I will never-ever drive at that speed with a passenger in the car or while talking on the phone, or changing the radio station.

I tried to operate my navigation system over the week end while driving. And found it to take my eyes “and thoughts” off the road for a second or two at the time.

You might want to try something next time you chart a trip somewhere. It is called preparation. Plan ahead and enter the address at a complete stop before you enter the freeway.

I was involved in a wreck 3 years ago. Some idiot girl hit me broad side , so hard it flipped my Yukon. Cause of accident . . . . well according to you Phatty she was multi tasking. Talking on the %@#**g Phone. Yep she got the ticket.

No Jim" We all do it to varying degrees......", we just think we are better at than others. The bottom
line is when it comes to operating a vehicle , weare not.

A concern father of a 16 year old driver. I practice what I preach.

Have a great day

Old 09-17-2007, 04:22 PM
Veteran Member

I actually agree with Jim...some people are better at doing multiple things at the same time...the problem is all it takes is one time of screwing up and meshing with the other person screwing up too...generally speaking some people are better than others though...I can change the station in my car use my phone find someone in my phones phonebook without looking at it...there are many people that couldn't open their phone without looking at it!

Old 09-17-2007, 07:02 PM
Veteran Member

Views: 30

Hey Cajun, so sorry to hear about your accident bro, no wonder you're so worked up on this issue!
Please believe me, I'm not trying to be smart, but as I have driven around 900,000 miles in the last 15 years mostly on business, averaging around 50k miles a year, I am probably better at it than most, thru experience.
I too however have a 21 year old daughter and would never advocate her trying anything near the same sorts of procedures.
You are of course right about being prepared in advance too, but with todays busy schedules it isnt always easy. I do try however to make sure the car is fuleed right up and all levels checked as well as tyre pressures before a long trip...........unfortunatley thatsabout as much as I have time for these days.
Horses for course I guess.

Cheers Cajun

Jim

Old 09-18-2007, 08:37 AM
Veteran Member

Hey jim whats the horses for course thing mean? You put it in plain english and I've still never heard of it! lol

Old 09-18-2007, 09:23 AM
Veteran Member

Views: 37

ORIGINAL: aquill1
Hey jim whats the horses for course thing mean? You put it in plain english and I've still never heard of it! lol
Its like....you wouldn't ask a marathon runner to take part in a 100m sprint race, or a sprinter to take part in a marathon, would you?
Horses for courses basically means stick to what you're good at and know your limitations.

Make sense bro?

Jim

Old 09-18-2007, 08:20 PM
Veteran Member

Oh yeah! I gotcha...on the first explanation...I like that saying...how exactly does it go I want to put that as my sig...

Old 09-19-2007, 05:53 PM
Veteran Member

Views: 31

Simple mate

"Horses for courses"

Jim

Old 09-23-2007, 08:54 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks bud!

Old 09-24-2007, 10:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 45 Likes on 15 Posts

Plain and simple, if you're good at multi-tasking, great for you. That doesn't mean that you drive better when you multi-task than when you're dedicated to driving. Drive safe guys, and save a life!