S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Erratic gauges on 2005 covered by TSB?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 09:13 AM
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Erratic gauges on 2005 covered by TSB?

You might have seen this 2005 S-type on eBay, it was the one with the guages that the seller described as going nuts. Lots of beeping, constant messages involving almost all sensors, swinging needles, etc. I found the TSB for Instrument CLuster Warnings, which sounds spot on, however the model years that it covers are 202.5 to 2003. Says nothing about 2005. I take delivery of the car on Wednesday and will try the battery hard reset right away, but I am curious if you more experienced owners have heard of this problem in other 2005 units.

Thanks in advance,
Joe
2005 S-type V8

Old 04-26-2011, 01:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

If it's not a battery problem then the only thing I have heard before was the IC (Instrument Cluster) was replaced under warranty. Not cheap but maybe a used one could be found?

Just be aware that if you swap it with another one it will require the dealer to program it all together or it will not work right. If fact I would ask just to be certain that the guy did not do this on the car you are looking at. People have swapped these before without the dealer programming and they had all kinds of weird stuff happen!

Old 04-26-2011, 02:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

Doesn't sound like the TSB but could be bad battery / wiring / etc. If you just swap a cluster the car won't start (anti-theft lockout) without dealer reprogram.

Old 04-26-2011, 03:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

I'd go over the charging system to to bottom on that car.

Start with testing the alternator, since it seems that the battery was already replaced.

Take care,

George

Old 04-26-2011, 05:15 PM

Thanks all, there are some good thoughts. Yes, it was after the battery was replaced that the trouble started. (if the TSB does not apply, then I suspect the ignition might have been left on while the battery was swapped - which one of the manuals I read reported will ruin the cluster). Before that though, I will check the charging system. I've lready spotted a used replacement cluster, glad that I don't have to worry too much about the used ones having the same problem. Report back in couple of days. Thanks again.

Joe
05 S-type V8

Old 04-26-2011, 06:03 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Xcellr8
Thanks all, there are some good thoughts. Yes, it was after the battery was replaced that the trouble started. (if the TSB does not apply, then I suspect the ignition might have been left on while the battery was swapped - which one of the manuals I read reported will ruin the cluster). Before that though, I will check the charging system. I've lready spotted a used replacement cluster, glad that I don't have to worry too much about the used ones having the same problem. Report back in couple of days. Thanks again.

Joe
05 S-type V8
What did you end up paying for that car anyway?

Take care,

George

Old 04-28-2011, 08:55 AM

The high bid was $6969.70. I think the auction went low for several reasons. One, there is a problem with the car that scared away some bidders. Two, the photos were not good and there were not near enough photos. Not enough images to eliminate doubts about condition and cleanliness. Three, while the seller was open in his description of the problems, in total, the description didn't cover enough of the car's features and condition.

I just took possession yesterday, in the rain, and it rained all day. So, I haven't gotten into the problems yet. Be back in touch soon. Thanks again.

Joe
2005 S-type V8

Old 04-28-2011, 08:58 AM
Veteran Member

The high bid was $6969.70. I think the auction went low for several reasons. One, there is a problem with the car that scared away some bidders. Two, the photos were not good and there were not near enough photos. Not enough images to eliminate doubts about condition and cleanliness. Three, while the seller was open in his description of the problems, in total, the description didn't cover enough of the car's features and condition.

I just took possession yesterday, in the rain, and it rained all day. So, I haven't gotten into the problems yet. Be back in touch soon. Thanks again.

Joe
2005 S-type V8
That's not that bad a price on the retail level. If the car didn't have any problems it would probably go for 9500 ish retail, maybe 10k.

Although the v8 kills its value in today's wholesale market. (3.0's are bringing more than 4.2's at the auction right now, and ALMOST as much as STR's).

Figure even you go 1500 into it, you'll be ok investment wise.

How clean IS the gut and the rest of the car?

Take care,

George

Old 04-28-2011, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by androulakis
That's not that bad a price on the retail level. If the car didn't have any problems it would probably go for 9500 ish retail, maybe 10k.

Although the v8 kills its value in today's wholesale market. (3.0's are bringing more than 4.2's at the auction right now, and ALMOST as much as STR's).

Figure even you go 1500 into it, you'll be ok investment wise.

How clean IS the gut and the rest of the car?

Take care,

George
Lets just say, this car doesn't know how lucky it is to have me as its owner. It appears to have just started on the path down the wrong road of neglect. But, I care about my cars and to make them right.

The condition does explains why the seller did not include more pictures. The car runs and drives great. Has new brakes all around, but cosmetically, the interior does not appear to have been cleaned in a long time. The tires need replaced. Two of the wheels have road rash. The air conditioning blows hot, even the vent blows hot. No cool air anywhere.

It is a fixer upper for sure...But run, wow, it hauls XSS. I can only imagine the R. This forum is a god send (or should that be a capital G - no offense intended to the man upstairs) of information and resources. I know how lucky we all are to have the forum and pledge to help make it even better.

Old 04-28-2011, 09:31 AM
Veteran Member

Lets just say, this car doesn't know how lucky it is to have me as its owner. It appears to have just started on the path down the wrong road of neglect. But, I care about my cars and to make them right.

The condition does explains why the seller did not include more pictures. The car runs and drives great. Has new brakes all around, but cosmetically, the interior does not appear to have been cleaned in a long time. The tires need replaced. Two of the wheels have road rash. The air conditioning blows hot, even the vent blows hot. No cool air anywhere.

It is a fixer upper for sure...But run, wow, it hauls XSS. I can only imagine the R. This forum is a god send (or should that be a capital G - no offense intended to the man upstairs) of information and resources. I know how lucky we all are to have the forum and pledge to help make it even better.
On the constant hot air. Search this forum for the DCCV. It 99% needs one. Also search for the ford / jaguar cross reference thread I came up with, you can use a motorcraft dccv for under $100.

IF once you swap the DCCV is bad the climate control needs repair, Send it to me, I'll resolder it and send it back.

Take care,

George

Old 04-29-2011, 05:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

The "plain" V8 is a fantastic engine. And about the same MPG as the 3.0 V6.
Congrats on the buy!

(Yes the STR is awesome.)

Old 05-05-2011, 01:36 PM
Default Thread closed

The title and early posts in this thread (my thread) don't exactly hit the mark, so I started another thread with more specific info and updated analysis. Still unsolved and looking for more ideas, but don't reply here. Lets move on to following;

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ositive-54176/.

Thanks,
Joe