S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Euro Toys S/C upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 10:04 AM
Received 70 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Euro Toys S/C upgrades

i know many have done the pully, but does anyone currently run this S/C pully kit they are offering now? $1400 for 50-60 hp boost seem like a great deal to me....add an air intake and exhaust and i think it would be up around 475-485 hp

Jaguar 4.2L Multi-Piece Supercharger Pulley Kit, Eurotoys,Ltd.

Old 09-29-2014, 10:50 AM
Received 101 Likes on 73 Posts

Beyond the price as compared to the 1.5lb pulley, in my opinion the main challenge with the 3lb'er is how it affects the power-band.

Essentially what it does, is pull all the torque out to the left and down, so you get a big bump of hp and tq down low and in the mid range, but the top end possibly loses horsepower because the peak efficiency of the blower is reached earlier in the RPM range.

This is great for daily driving, mid RPM highway passing, and lots of blower whine, but you will possibly have worse 1/4 mile times, if that's your goal.

1320racer is a good example of this, where he ran high 12's and low 13's all day long at a very high mph with just exhaust mods, and then he added the pulley, had major traction issues, trapped several mph lower, and ran worse times.

The other issue is the heat caused by spinning the blower that much more, so after a few high rpm blasts, the IAT's could cause the engine to retard the timing and or boost because of the amount of drag put on the blower.

A small shot of nitrous or progressive meth could combat this, but no one has really put that $$$ combo to good use.

Bottom line is that the 1.5lb pulley is a great mod, gives more power all over, and was documented by goblue90 (i think?) to show peak 16rwhp/24rwtq gain, with lots of good mid range torque.

I think the best mods for our cars are the 1.5lb pulley, intake elbow+stock airbox, and a mina catback or borla midpipe.

Last edited by JimC64; 10-01-2014 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Please add line breaks
The following users liked this post:
Wuzupez (10-20-2014)
Old 09-29-2014, 12:39 PM

ok, but that kit is for either pulley....so you can get the 1.5 with it or the 2.5........so is it a good deal now,, ?

Old 09-29-2014, 01:29 PM
Received 78 Likes on 58 Posts

Same as what rasputin said, however remember that when 1320racer (Bryan) was running high 12's and 13 seconds flat on what he thought were only exhaust mods, were actually exhaust mods in addition to a 1.5lb pulley which was fitted before he bought the car if I recall correctly. He only realised he was running an uprated pulley when installing his 3lb Eurotoys pulley.

I am running the 1.5lb upper pulley from Mina and went for it over the 3lb after speaking with Bryan and other members with modded STRs. The 3lb pulley gave no difference in track times and only 6hp more than the 1.5lb pulley. I would strongly recommend the Mina 1.5lb over the above kit for numerous reasons including obviously the huge price difference, the fact that it relatively easy to install in that it doesn't require the snout to be ground down, and offers extremely similar power gains. In my opinion, the only upgrade worth spending big money on is the Twin Screw.

I have performed the mods in my signature and they have made the car significantly faster than stock; I hope to install a borla resonated x-pipe along with potentially high flow cats next and hit the strip on a cold day this winter. Hopefully I will be able to break the magical 13 second barrier for these cars

Old 09-29-2014, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Injekter
ok, but that kit is for either pulley....so you can get the 1.5 with it or the 2.5........so is it a good deal now,, ?
The only reason why they would provide a lower damper/crank pulley would be to spin the supercharger more. Really the only advantage of the kit would be more boost with the 1.5lb pulley in conjunction with the crank pulley, but you wouldn't have to grind the SC snout. Again, i'd be concerned with over spinning it in our cars because we don't have 03/04 cobra 4.6's. My understanding is that the Mina pulley is actually more like a 1.7lb unit rather than the stated 1.5lb. With the forums discount, I really think that is all you need relative to a pulley upgrade.

Last edited by rasputin; 09-29-2014 at 02:07 PM.
Old 09-29-2014, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by JagSTR2004
Same as what rasputin said, however remember that when 1320racer (Bryan) was running high 12's and 13 seconds flat on what he thought were only exhaust mods, were actually exhaust mods in addition to a 1.5lb pulley which was fitted before he bought the car if I recall correctly. He only realised he was running an uprated pulley when installing his 3lb Eurotoys pulley.
Wow, I stand corrected, and never knew that was the case. I actually just did a few keyword searches and can't seem to find the posts where he says that? He should probably go back and mention that in some of his threads so we don't all get our hopes up! Thanks for the info!!

Old 09-29-2014, 02:18 PM

I don't think he mentioned it on any of his posts but confirmed that he had been running the 1.5lb pulley all along unknowingly when I private messaged him seeking some advice on upgrades. Rasputin, as you seem to have some experience with exhaust mods on this car, what would you recommend I use in conjunction with the mina system? I'm in a dilemma whether to install some magnaflow high flow cats and/or just doing either a magnaflow 11385 or borla 400287 centre pipe? The mina system sounds great but its pretty tame now that it's fully settled in.

Old 09-29-2014, 02:19 PM

Also, what are people's opinions on getting the throttlebody bored out to 82.5mm? Any benefit to a pullied and intake tube equipped STR?

Old 09-29-2014, 04:16 PM

THX, I THINK ill do the smaller pulley and the intake...

Old 09-29-2014, 10:20 PM

Rasputin, as you seem to have some experience with exhaust mods on this car, what would you recommend I use in conjunction with the mina system? I'm in a dilemma whether to install some magnaflow high flow cats and/or just doing either a magnaflow 11385 or borla 400287 centre pipe? The mina system sounds great but its pretty tame now that it's fully settled in.
Thanks for asking. Skip the 11385, I had it for awhile and its about 3 inches shorter than the 11387 and possibly just an H pipe, whereas the 11387 has a true x pipe in it. I bought the borla 400287 as well, but it will not fit in the stock location as its about 2 inches too long and can really only be used with a full custom setup. I got the 11387 installed during a lunch break for $50, so I think that is a really good deal and it was a good fit and easy to install per the welder.

As for the cats, I would skip them unless you can find a good deal and you are friends with a talented welder who doesnt mind getting creative. They are not a 100% perfect fit, so your welder will have to cut a lot of pipe and add a bit more in certain places, while being in a really small area. So again, unless you have a good welder, it might be a bit much for your average exhaust shop to handle. I got turned away once, and the shop I chose took three tries to get it right. What a headache, hence the reason I would recommend you go with the 11387, because if you dont like it, its easy to go back to stock, whereas with the cats, well, you might be stuck with them.

Also those Dynomax VT mufflers look interesting...

Old 09-30-2014, 01:03 PM

Rasputin I'm not sure there's such a thing as a 11387? Do you mean the 11378 as that is a H-pipe which has been used by others on the forum and is in your signature. I inspected the diagrams on the Magnaflow website (http://www.magnaflowstainlesssteelex...let_outlet=232) and it seems that the 11385 is actually 3 inches longer than the 11378. It is also the 11385 which is listed as being the Tru-X pipe, whereas the 11378 is just a H-pipe I believe.

From yours and others' experiences with high flow CATs, it seems wise to skip them although I do use a very capable welder for my exhaust work. I have seen a video of an STR with Dynomax VTs, but it wasn't for my personal taste. If you still have the Borla 400287 and would consider selling it, drop me a PM.

Old 09-30-2014, 01:16 PM

Rasputin I'm not sure there's such a thing as a 11387? Do you mean the 11378 as that is a H-pipe which has been used by others on the forum and is in your signature. I inspected the diagrams on the Magnaflow website (http://www.magnaflowstainlesssteelex...let_outlet=232) and it seems that the 11385 is actually 3 inches longer than the 11378. It is also the 11385 which is listed as being the Tru-X pipe, whereas the 11378 is just a H-pipe I believe.

From yours and others' experiences with high flow CATs, it seems wise to skip them although I do use a very capable welder for my exhaust work. I have seen a video of an STR with Dynomax VTs, but it wasn't for my personal taste. If you still have the Borla 400287 and would consider selling it, drop me a PM.
Wow, what was I on last night when I wrote that? My apologies, the one I have on my car and in my opinion the best one to get is the 11385, the 14 inch units with the true x pipe (I need to update my signature). Sorry for getting them confused. 11378 was too loud and raspy relative to the smoother 11385.

Old 09-30-2014, 02:22 PM

for those that have installed the pulley.....did you un bolt the motor and lift the front when you did the install? is it as easy as it sounds? can you lift the motor without it tearing or stressing other hoses ,wires, drive train and such? thx

Old 09-30-2014, 03:23 PM

No need to lift the engine Injekter, access to the upper pulley is ample from simply removing the coolant expansion tank. It is then simply a case of cutting off the old pulley and mounting the new one. It will be a straight swap with the 1.5lb pulleys as no modifications to the snout are necessary; my mechanic was able to complete the install in under two hours.

Old 09-30-2014, 03:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

I have not changed a pulley but I have removed both nuts holding the bottom of the motor mounts. Then using a piece of wood on the oil pan jacked the engine up as high as I could to change the AC compressor. It is surprising how far you can go!

I did remove the radiator hose on the driver's side but that was to gain clearance to get the AC compressor out. You might want to do the same?

I did no damage and I went too far once and was raising the entire car with the jack! No harm done. I have a 2005 STR.

Old 09-30-2014, 04:35 PM

Thx for all the replies, as winter starts to roll around my outside projects are about done and i can start on vehicle mods inside.......thx again jeff

Old 09-30-2014, 07:03 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rasputin
Thanks for asking. Skip the 11385, I had it for awhile and its about 3 inches shorter than the 11387 and possibly just an H pipe, whereas the 11387 has a true x pipe in it. I bought the borla 400287 as well, but it will not fit in the stock location as its about 2 inches too long and can really only be used with a full custom setup. I got the 11387 installed during a lunch break for $50, so I think that is a really good deal and it was a good fit and easy to install per the welder.

As for the cats, I would skip them unless you can find a good deal and you are friends with a talented welder who doesnt mind getting creative. They are not a 100% perfect fit, so your welder will have to cut a lot of pipe and add a bit more in certain places, while being in a really small area. So again, unless you have a good welder, it might be a bit much for your average exhaust shop to handle. I got turned away once, and the shop I chose took three tries to get it right. What a headache, hence the reason I would recommend you go with the 11387, because if you dont like it, its easy to go back to stock, whereas with the cats, well, you might be stuck with them.

Also those Dynomax VT mufflers look interesting...
I posted a video maybe a month ago of the Dynomax VTs. They were after a fresh install and apparently I had a vacuum and exhaust leak, as well a possible misfire due to oil pooling on the spark plug. Long story short, after repairs, install of the mina performance intake, and break in time, the sound has definitely become deeper and more aggresive on mid and wide open throttle. I will post a follow up video sometime this week.

The greatest part about this setup (I also have high flow cats and a resonated magnaflow xpipe), is that cruising or at idle, the car has an extremely mild and non disruptive resonance. Unfortunately, I don't drive my STR much, so I'm a bit torn on the split personality thing. Part of me wants it to be loud all the time.

Last edited by dshirley85; 09-30-2014 at 07:06 PM.
Old 09-30-2014, 08:33 PM
Received 198 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Injekter
for those that have installed the pulley.....did you un bolt the motor and lift the front when you did the install? is it as easy as it sounds? can you lift the motor without it tearing or stressing other hoses ,wires, drive train and such? thx
I had to jack up the motor even with the coolant tank out. There isn't enough space to get the eurotoys tool in there without lifting it. It shouldn't cause undo stress on any parts as long as you aren't trying to jack the engine up out of the car. Not too easy to do; many including myself had to cut off the old pulley and pressing the new one on was no easy task, either.

Old 09-30-2014, 10:07 PM
Received 181 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by rasputin
Wow, what was I on last night when I wrote that? My apologies, the one I have on my car and in my opinion the best one to get is the 11385, the 14 inch units with the true x pipe (I need to update my signature). Sorry for getting them confused. 11378 was too loud and raspy relative to the smoother 11385.
Was I ever glad to read that retraction! I just got a 11385 and 2 Magnaflow 99675HM cats, and thought "wtf, how did you get that wrong?".

For the record, my Jag enthusiast indy jacked up the front, used a Eurotoys puller remover and got the original pulley off with barely a scratch! The easy part was fitting the 1.5 pulley.

Old 10-01-2014, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by QuartzSTypeR
I had to jack up the motor even with the coolant tank out. There isn't enough space to get the eurotoys tool in there without lifting it. It shouldn't cause undo stress on any parts as long as you aren't trying to jack the engine up out of the car. Not too easy to do; many including myself had to cut off the old pulley and pressing the new one on was no easy task, either.
HOW,do you like the 2.5lb pulley? im debating between the two...im not going to the track to run 1/4s im more into low end push you back in your seat light to light power......which i think the 2.5 lb pulley would be better for....

Quick Reply: Euro Toys S/C upgrades