S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Expert post-accident appraisal needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011 | 10:18 AM
|
Default Expert post-accident appraisal needed

I'm not sure if this thread is in the right area, so if a more senior member knows where this should go and wants to move it, that's cool.
Basically, my 03 STR with 54k miles on it was hit by another car in January of 09. My insurance provider compelled me to have the car repaired at a general collision center, which I reluctantly did. Cosmetically the car looked fine. It drives fine. All appeared well, in other words.
In August of '10, prior to listing the car, I took it to the local Jaguar dealership for a pre-sale inspection, so as to make sure that I wouldn't be selling an unsuspecting buyer a car with "issues." Basically, they found some issues--damage to the suspension, damage to the oil cooler and transmission cooler lines, radiator, etc.--which prompted them to suggest that I contact my insurance company about prior accidents. I'll leave out the boring parts, but suffice it to say that my insurance company's last move was to have an "independent" "expert" look at the car. He had little experience with Jags at all, and apparently none with this particular car. He assured me that this was fine, though, explaining to me that all cars are basically the same. His findings contradict even what Nationwide has already admitted is true of the condition of the car.
The long and the short of it is that I need someone familiar enough with the STR and its suspension and cooling systems, and accidents generally, to look over it and give me an appraisal of the current condition of the car (most important), and of what the potential/probable causes of any deficiencies in the vehicle's condition might have been. I am not looking for someone to come and substantiate anything, just to go over the car and let me know what they think.
I am prepared to compensate the appraiser/jag expert generously for his or her time, including transportation expenses, within reason. In all probability the only work-product that will be required will be a signed appraisal of the condition of the car, as well as the aforementioned statement of possible/probable causes. (BTW: I am fully aware that it is impossible to state with certainty what caused X; I am only interested in possibility and, where possible, probability). In the hugely unlikely event that in-person testimony would be required, I would of course compensate the appraiser for his/her time and travel for this as well.
Basically, this is a great opportunity for a Jag expert/master mechanic/someone with demonstrable expertise working with this car to make a few hundred bucks for a couple of hours of work. I would prefer someone who is local/within driving distance of the Triangle area of NC, but will consider any offers/suggestions. Oh, and I would like this to happen as soon as possible.
Please contact me at your soonest convenience if you are interested or know someone who might be a good fit. Thanks!

Best,
Mike

Old 01-06-2011 | 07:56 AM

You might be in a legal minefield here, but US law will be different to what I'm used to. Here there is a 'disclosure' principle at work re. insurance companies.
From reading what you put, if this had been the UK, I would have advised you to go to the police re. the firm who fixed your car and left it in a questionably dangerous condition. (I am assuming they didn't tell you!) You would have to disclose what you were doing to your insurance company of course. Tough one this.
Leedsman.

Old 01-07-2011 | 07:09 AM
|
Default Thanks Leedsman

Yeah, our process here is messed up. My difficulties are compounded by the fact that the problems with my car, while prohibitively expensive to repair, are not "dangerous," per se. At any rate, thanks for your reply!