Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exxon Valdez

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 12:21 PM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts
Default Exxon Valdez

So, did the good 'ol service on the S last night. Oil change and tire rotation. I knew I might see some oil spots on the undertray from the leaking IMT O-rings. Well, not from there but from the front of the motor. From what I can see, any line or hose routed in front of the oil pan is wet. There are random drips..spots really...on the undertray. When looking in from the top of the motor, you can't see much. From underneath it looks like the whole front of the motor is covered in black sludge like you would find on a 20 year old driver. So, now I have a call into the service manager. I want him to take a look and advise me if this is something that they are willing to dive into under warranty or am I just being too ****.
Oh, and she was only down maybe half a quart despite going over my normal 5000 mile service interval by about 2k.

Just kind of pissed at the S right now.......

GOSH DANG IT>>>> I just went outside for one of my only two smokes a day and find that some *** put a ding in the rear quarter of the car just above the rear bumper..... GOD I HATE MONDAYS!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by JOsworth; 03-08-2010 at 01:38 PM. Reason: Something else...
Old 03-08-2010, 12:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,359 Likes on 2,850 Posts

I assume that this leak is too far forward to be the rear main oil seal.

Is it possible that this sludge is simply careless oil overflow spills from the previous owner's oil changes that you never noticed until now?

Maybe failing valve gaskets. Maybe an oil filter that didn't quite seal properly and leaked only sporadically as a result.

Whatever it turns out to be, I hope it is minimal and that your Select Edition warranty will cover it. Keep us posted....

Old 03-08-2010, 12:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

my oil cooler line is doing that, its small and makes amess though....more annoying to me than anything else

Old 03-08-2010, 02:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel your pain JOsworth!

I washed mine yesterday and found an 8" dent in the rear door drivers side. Door dings I do not mind, **** happens but this is just brutal and really annoys the crap out of me.

Mark

Old 03-08-2010, 07:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts

I feel your pain on the ding and the 2 smokes a day Jeff. As a matter of fact I just had Travis the dent dude here Saturday. He removed a couple of dings from my Durango, 1 from my new ride and 1 in Joyces Jag. Joyce took Brooke to a B-day party later that afternoon at Chuck E Cheeses and guess what...... NEW FRICKIN' ding same door but a a foot higher...EEErrrrrrrrr!!!!!

Onto SS Valdez, you do remember that the oil pan gasket goes bad in these as well. I replaced Joyces a year ago. Another Jag color coded thingie going on. Original pan gaskets are BROWN and Jag replacements are BLACK. Mr. Gaskets are blue and cheaper.

One more thingie CONGRATS on becoming a VETERAN MEMBER. We all benefit from your insight and input!!

Old 03-08-2010, 07:36 PM
Veteran member

Thanks for the well wishes guys. gbdiver...dude that sucks.. Jon, Jason, and Rick...My gut tells me it is a leak from the valve cover or possibly somewhere else. I'm pretty sure that the "gunk" is from whatever is leaking and not from spilled oil. Remember, I'm a baddy and "wash" my engine a couple of times a year, complete with degreaser and water. Also, from the "freshness" of the oil down low when the tray is off is making me think it is something that is getting worse. I don't think the 3.0 has an oil cooler, but I think I found where the trans cooling lines run. At this point I'm just frustrated and will let the good guys at the dealer sort it out.

Old 03-08-2010, 08:10 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

Congrats on the V-membership Josworth!

As for the door ding, no matter how careful we are, the idiots seem to find us in the parking lots.

On the bright side, i've found a dent repair guy that works magic on those little dings, and with those little tools of his, he can pull out any dent, as long as there isn't a crease, for about $50-75 a pop, depending on location..i've done so many of them now, he's giving me my next one free. Only thing is my last one took off some clear coat, so the dent is gone, but the chip is still there, but 99% better than it was before.

Good luck with the drippy drip.

Old 03-09-2010, 01:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

Jeff, good luck when the guys look at it. If they can't tell where it's coming from (it can be next to impossible), post again about how to go about figuring out which place is leaking. And if you do, please update on how much is coming out.... as I recall the EV spilled more than an S holds

Old 03-09-2010, 07:20 AM
Veteran Member

jagv8, I am with Jeff on washing down engine bays. What I did to discover our dripping lubby love juice was to put the vehicle in the air, grabbed a couple of cans of brake cleaner and have at the entire underneath engine bay. Lots of cardboard and newspaper. Waited over night and bingo, oil pan gasket dripping her juices at the front sides of the engine.

Attached Thumbnails Exxon Valdez-lubby-juice-oil-pan.jpg   Exxon Valdez-oil-pan-clean-drip.jpg   Exxon Valdez-oil-pan-clean-drip-4.jpg  
Old 03-09-2010, 07:58 AM
Veteran Member

Intelligent cleaning (non-water; keeping fluids and mess out of connectors) - I have no issues at all with it. (May do it myself.) Probably required to find certain leaks.

Using water and splashing it about or failing to be careful about connectors/electronics (even drive belts) - that's what I do have issues with!!

I know you guys won't do it the stupid way.

Old 03-09-2010, 08:01 AM
Veteran Member

Nice pics. Must be a 3.0 - look at all that SPACE

LMAO

Old 03-09-2010, 08:30 AM
Veteran Member

I like clean engine bays as well. I carefully wash the engine bays of my 1999 Dodge Ram pickup and my wife's 2004 Lexus RX330 SUV every spring using a can of Gunk Engine Brite and a very precisely-aimed garden hose spray nozzle. I then dry them off with my leaf blower cranked up to full power followed by a good 20-mile romp on the highway, and then they sit in the driveway under the sun with their hoods open for the rest of the afternoon. Never had a problem from either vehicle as a result of doing that.

But there's no way I'm washing the S-Type's engine bay after my wife's "limp home mode" debacle and the corresponding replacement of the throttle body last May (fortunately all under factory warranty then). I use old towels and some silicone spray along with a healthy portion of elbow grease, but not a single drop of water. Fortunately, due to the undertray and tight rubber seals all around, the S-Type engine bay stays remarkably clean compared to my Ram and her Lexus. In not quite 15 months of S-Type ownership, I've cleaned the engine bay just twice....

Last edited by Jon89; 03-09-2010 at 08:37 AM.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:26 AM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by joycesjag
jagv8, I am with Jeff on washing down engine bays. What I did to discover our dripping lubby love juice was to put the vehicle in the air, grabbed a couple of cans of brake cleaner and have at the entire underneath engine bay. Lots of cardboard and newspaper. Waited over night and bingo, oil pan gasket dripping her juices at the front sides of the engine.
Rick, you rock! Those pictures put it in a different light. My oil pan is way cleaner than the first picture...BUT... the metal lines held by the plastic clip and the ac compressor look just like mine. So, in the third picture I see how the oil could be running down on things and the "front of the engine" appearance might be caused by the ac compressor pulley flinging oil up on things. It is a very slight leak since the undertray had hardly any spots on it, but enough to **** me off....

Oh, and BTW, it is kind of funny how everyone gets fired up about the "washing" thing every time I stick that in a post... Really all I do about twice a year is spray it down with gunk, hose it off with the garden hose, then spray it off again with the air compressor. No, I don't use a pressure washer or steam, plus I make sure I do it on a cold engine..

Old 03-09-2010, 11:39 AM
Veteran Member

Maybe I should rejoin this forum as Mr. S-Type Picture Guy !!!! You name it, I probably have a picture of it!!

Very seldom does the valve cover gaskets fail in our year vehicles from the techs I have talked with here on this forum and at my local good guys!!! BTW I did waste my $$$ and replaced the passenger side valve and sparkie gaskets, tracking down our lubby leak. I have pictures of that replacement as well.

If you need a few more oil pan shots I have more of those.

Better day today?

Old 03-09-2010, 11:48 AM
Veteran member

If you need a few more oil pan shots I have more of those.

Better day today?
Funny, Mr Picture Guy..... Sorry but I still think of you as "Mr. X Rated Knome Guy"......

Yea, better today, still waiting for the dealer to call back.... I don't need more pictures myself but I'm sure a bunch of others would like to see them...

Old 03-09-2010, 12:20 PM
Veteran Member

"Since WE all know that you are bucking for that Mod role" Maybe your first line of buisness will be to ban me for my avatar.

Old 03-09-2010, 12:57 PM
Veteran member

"Since WE all know that you are bucking for that Mod role" Maybe your first line of buisness will be to ban me for my avatar.

Too funny, love the new avatar....... I wouldn't have the patience to be a Mod.....

Old 03-10-2010, 09:53 AM
Veteran member

OK, a little update, but more so, another plea and suggestion for anyone who reads this to establish a relationship with their dealer.

Talked with Mike, the service manager, this morning about the small leak I was seeing. After a bit of joking about how **** I am and that I'm my own worst enemy since I service my own car, he asked me to bring it in so they could start some dye tests. That seems reasonable, right? He wants to start with the power steering first then move to other areas if that is not it. What they are going to do is introduce a dye that they can see with a black light. It is a simple thing. Introduce the dye, drive the car for a week or so, then check it with a black light. If it's not that, move on to something else. Again, no big deal. What impressed me is basically Mike stated that he will take care of me and the tests because he appreciates that I'm just trying to take care of the car and am so easy to do business with.

So many times we get on here and complain about things, I do it as well. Heck, I called my car the Valdez! Bottom line..Be good to your dealer and they will be good back. The same goes for the members here that are Techs out in the field.

I'll post back on this as the testing goes... My gut tells me it's the pan, but I also trust the dealer to get to the root of the issue..

Old 03-10-2010, 11:04 AM
Veteran Member

Keep in mind that you have an exceptional dealer who understands and appreciates your preference to do as much of your own maintenance as you can. On the other hand, some of us have local dealers who jack their parts and service prices up to twice what other Jaguar dealers charge and actually attempt to chastise those of us who prefer to do our own maintenance. That is exactly why I no longer patronize my local dealer and will drive 70 miles from home to patronize the dealer in Greensboro because they are much more like your dealer in Cleveland....

By the way, what's your current odometer mileage?

Old 03-10-2010, 11:25 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jon89
By the way, what's your current odometer mileage?

Getting prepared Jon??? Remember Joyces went out before the 42,000 mark, obviously before we took ownership!

Quick Reply: Exxon Valdez