S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exxon Valdez

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 09:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,369 Likes on 2,857 Posts

Good point. I would be prone to over-tighten them if I wasn't thinking about it. If my engine's underside is dry and relatively clean, I'm not touching those oil pan bolts....

Old 03-11-2010, 09:27 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon89
Jeff, you should take a look at yours now. I'll bet that's your next Select Edition job after you get your oil leak sorted out....
I look those over often but they won't be on the Select Edition tab if they go bad. The things on mine that are out of warranty and not covered by Select are interior and exterior trim and finish plus any rubber parts prone to wear...ie, weather strip and suspension bushings and joints.

Old 03-11-2010, 11:57 AM
Received 6,326 Likes on 5,512 Posts

Just for information my car was in for a torque converter change at about 50K the dealer mentioned at the time that they changed the oil pan gasket as hey had noticed a leak. He never said anything about it being a common fault but it ties in with what youguys are finding.

Old 03-11-2010, 12:00 PM
Veteran Member

For the 3-litre V6 engine, the oil pan gasket Jaguar part number is C2S43270.

My local dealer in Cary (never again if I can help it) sells them for $47.37.

The Greensboro dealer (70 miles away) sells them for $30.95. Next time I'm in Greensboro on a weekday, I'll probably pick one up so I'll be ready. The parts department guys at both of these dealerships told me that they sell quite a few of them, just like the IMT O-rings. Bummer....

Last edited by Jon89; 03-11-2010 at 12:07 PM.
Old 03-11-2010, 12:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,535 Likes on 3,944 Posts

Ask the parts guy what else you should get at the same time, in case he says "oh, people always buy THIS and THIS when doing that job". May be a couple of other little items, probably cheap. Parts guys can be sooo useful for what you REALLY need as well as the obvious stuff.

They may say "all the bolts". Up to you on those.

Old 03-11-2010, 01:17 PM
Veteran member

Stopped in and saw Mike. He added the dye and set up next Friday to put it up on the lift...He said if I'm real good he may let me hold the black light...LOL

Also ordered these for a little dress up for the rims...

Only $11 each.... Saw them on a XF-R on the showroom floor... And yes JagV8, the parts guys are good as well....

Old 03-11-2010, 01:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,710 Likes on 1,212 Posts

Damn Jeff, those are waayyyy cooolllll!!!! I have been looking to replace Joyces caps since x-mas. I have found a pearl set on Ebay for $90.00 but I just can't bring myself to that price. I like those....hmmm. When you put 'em on howz about a few pics???

Old 03-11-2010, 02:10 PM
Veteran Member

Jeff, did you tell Mike at the dealership that we all suspect the oil pan gasket, not the power steering fluid as he first suggested to you? If so, did he switch the initial dye test to your engine oil instead of the PS fluid?

Old 03-11-2010, 02:15 PM
Veteran member

Jeff, did you tell Mike at the dealership that we all suspect the oil pan gasket, not the power steering fluid as he first suggested to you? If so, did he switch the initial dye test to your engine oil instead of the PS fluid?
Nope.... lesson learned long ago.... Sometimes it is better to act like they know more than you and let things work out. Heck, he just may be right. Main point is, it is going up on the lift next Friday and we are all going to go over it together. Even if it isn't the power steering, they will still see what I'm talking about... and it is fun going in there.. We joke around and such..all it'll cost me is a twelve pack or something....

Old 03-11-2010, 02:26 PM
Veteran Member

Understood. But as common as these oil pan gasket failures seem to be, I would think that Mike would know that and say "Let's start with the engine oil and see what happens."

Old 03-11-2010, 02:54 PM
Veteran member

Well, Mike remembers that I had a very similar leak before from the power steering and all they did was tighten a line. So, remembering my car I'm sure he thinks that there may be another issue with one of the lines. Friday will be the first time he looks underneath it.

Old 03-12-2010, 05:57 AM
Veteran Member

Fair enough. Keep us posted. If it indeed turns out to be your oil pan gasket, I'm sure that most of us with the 3-litre V6 will face this issue sooner or later.

Wonder if the S-Type production run received the new-and-improved black-colored gaskets by its last couple of model years in 2007/2008? That would be nice for the later-model owners. Replacing IMT O-rings is cake compared to having to do an oil pan gasket job....

Old 03-12-2010, 06:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,710 Likes on 1,212 Posts

Replacing IMT O-rings is cake compared to having to do an oil pan gasket job....

Jon, with the right attitude and tools, the oil pan gasket replacement is not as scary as it reads. As I am recalling more details about it, I could do the procedure in 3 hours not much longer than the 2 hour short route IMT O-Ring.

Old 03-12-2010, 06:42 AM
Veteran Member

SOLD!!!! At the first sign of leakage on Jan's car, I'm grabbing a new gasket and heading your way! And you don't even have to move the porch gnomes....

Old 03-12-2010, 10:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 507 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by joycesjag
Jon, with the right attitude and tools, the oil pan gasket replacement is not as scary as it reads. As I am recalling more details about it, I could do the procedure in 3 hours not much longer than the 2 hour short route IMT O-Ring.
Heck, with those repair times, I'd consider making the trip from NJ, AND paying you what my tech would charge for 5 hrs (rather than the 14 or so these jobs book for) and buying the beer and pizza...

Old 03-12-2010, 12:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by joycesjag
I guess we are hi-jacking Jeffs thread, but here goes......

Jon you are correct that the alt. and HVAC comp. need to be unbolted, BUT NOT removed, there is enough play in the lines to swing each out of the way and tie them up with an old metal coat hanger(s).

Since Joyces Jag is a southern vehicle ALL bolts look like they were just installed (no corrosion effects) so removal was quite easy.

The oil pan HAS got to come out. There are 15 bolts. 2 of which will be difficult to torque on reinstall, you have to use a swivel and an extension to tighten, throwing off torque ratio, the rest easy to torque.

After removing the 2 motor mount bolts and 4 cowl cross frame bolts, placing a piece of 2x12 (what I had lying around) on my jack to disperse weight. I jacked the transmission AND motor up together using tranny pan as jack point. There were no signs of engine or tranny movement from side to side and no cracking or binding jacking up. The motor raised about 3" maybe a bit more, the large wire harness on the top back of engine (near the intake) will touch firewall. I climbed back underneath and wiggled the oil pan off and out. One other thing the steering rack has to be unbolted (2 bolts) from the sub frame but not removed, just hang it out of the way. No I did not have to get a front end alignment afterwards.

The pan gasket is aluminum, less than an 1/8" thick with rubberized coating running on inside gasket and bolt holes (see photo) the gasket I believe will crush abit on reinstall with proper torque (sandwiching effect). The gasket BENDS easily!! You want to get gasket over the oil pick up tube before the oil pan gets installed. Don't forget a few beads of silicone on block and front cover mating surfaces.

oil pan bolt torque 18 ft. lbs (25Nm)

The local Jaguar dealership want just shy of $1,100.00 to replace.

This looks ALOT more difficult than it actually was!!! I would not hestitate to do it all over again if needed.

If I can answer anymore questions feel free to ask!
Hi Rick,

Thanks for the detailed pics and write-up. Assuming for the sake of discussion, is the gasket flexible enough so you could work it around it the oil pump and then mate it to the pan taking the approach androulakis is suggesting?

I remember doing something similar to a '71 240Z many years ago. It took a while to clean out the oilpan and the mating surfaces along with about half a roll of paper towels.

Now if you're really old school, you could just put up with the leak and top off when required, after all, it is a British car. A kitty has to leave its mark.

Old 03-12-2010, 12:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 507 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by carelm
Hi Rick,

Thanks for the detailed pics and write-up. Assuming for the sake of discussion, is the gasket flexible enough so you could work it around it the oil pump and then mate it to the pan taking the approach androulakis is suggesting?

I remember doing something similar to a '71 240Z many years ago. It took a while to clean out the oilpan and the mating surfaces along with about half a roll of paper towels.

Now if you're really old school, you could just put up with the leak and top off when required, after all, it is a British car. A kitty has to leave its mark.
I did the same thing to a BMW M3, but the gasket was rubber. this looks like it's aluminum and rigid, which i don't think you could get over all four corners of the pan without damaging it.

BMW Owners used to joke that that's why the motors run forever, they are continuously changing out their oil.

What do you guys think of the possibility of using a liquid gasket maker - permatex black or something as a stop gap measure to seal the leak. There shouldn't be much pressure on the oil down there, it's just a gravity fed leak right? Drain the pan, clean, seal allow to cure, refill? cross fingers? I know it's NOT the right way to do things, but would it potentially work? Are there specific locations where the gasket fails?

George

Old 03-12-2010, 12:48 PM
Veteran Member

I'm not convinced that you'd ever be able to get a non-oily enough surface for that Permatex to work for any reasonable length of time. You may be able to wipe down the casing, but that original gasket is still going to seep or ooze even with the oil drained out of the pan....

If the factory gasket fails, I think the only logical way to deal with it is to bite the bullet and change it properly a la Rick's method. I'm a firm believer in fixing problems the right way so you don't have to deal with them again....

Old 03-12-2010, 12:51 PM
Veteran member

Man I'm gonna **** myself if it ends up being a power steering line.....

Old 03-12-2010, 12:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by JOsworth
Man I'm gonna **** myself if it ends up being a power steering line.....
How about a rack and pinion unit? I had a 90 XJ6 and a 96 XJ6 and both of them had leaky rack and pinion units. The 96 XJ6 power steering fluid was at least ATF so I could fill it up fairly cheaply as opposed to the 90 which required mineral oil. That #$%# mineral was $12 or more a bottle. So far so good on the S-Type.

Mike

Quick Reply: Exxon Valdez