Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

female newbie needs help, overheating RESOLVED

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 09:44 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default female newbie needs help, overheating RESOLVED

hi everyone, 2001 s-type 3.0 approx 120,000

I need some help today while picking my kids up I started smelling antifreeze and noticed some smoke I pulled off to the gas station checked the resivoir and it was empty so I put in antifreeze and water let it cool for a bit and started driving again, the temp shot up so I pulled over again and noticed antifreeze coming out below the car (below resivoir area) its possible I overfilled. waited for the car to cool all the way and took a shot at getting home (3 kids, no family) I was able to get home with no problems temp stayed right in the middle, I checked the resivoir and there is a little antifreeze in the bottom (I know, I lost a lot).

-earlier in the day I noticed the fan on when I went into the store.
-car just had oil change and fluids checked 1 month ago
-the heat only works when its set to defrost highest temp and setting

I have a hunch that I need a new thermostat (that I can handle) my other concern is the antifreeze leak, if I did overfill is there a purge line? or did I blow a hose/gasket/the resivoir? any help would be appreciated.

Old 01-31-2012, 10:04 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds like your reservoir is cracked and leaking. I have the same vehicle, and just replaced mine this summer when it suddenly started to overheat. A very simple repair, and the part is <$120. I'd start there before considering the thermostat since you say it is leaking from that area.

Old 01-31-2012, 10:31 PM

thank you for your reply, and I think you are right. I just went out to the garage to tinker with it and when I added more antifreeze it started leaking out of the bottom again. I think I may replace both considering the thermostat doesn't cost much. other then this I love my car, although it is getting a little to small for the kids.

Old 01-31-2012, 10:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Reservoir is a well-established weak point. If yours is original you are way past-due for problems with it. I second Jagtastic.
If any of your kids have hit 10 or 12 yrs yet...assign the task...it's not too bad. Thermostat would stick open or closed. If open, you'd get the same temp heated air regardless of mode (assuming your DCCV is working properly) and not much, at that...and if stuck closed...you'd be overheating the engine after the first few minutes. Not sure about the older ones, but the 03 and sub reservoirs are fond of cracking up top at the overflow hose nipple.

Keep us posted what you find and welcome to the forum.

Old 01-31-2012, 11:08 PM
Received 2,641 Likes on 1,819 Posts

To save yourself both time and money, stick with replacing the overflow reservoir for now. If the vehicle is not overheating the thermostat is most likely still okay. The thermostat on the 3.0 litre engine is within a two-piece casting between two hoses and can prove difficult to change if the two 8mm bolts are corroded in place.

The most difficult part of the overflow reservoir replacement is removing the wiper arms and strut tower bar. The constant-tension hose clamps can be removed with pliers and the new hoses typically come with new clamps held in the open position to make installation of the hoses very easy. I found spraying silicone very SPARINGLY into the end of the hoses allows for easier installation. Remember to place the constant-tension clamps into the closed position before filling the system with coolant/distilled water.

There is a small plastic screw on the end of the upper hose to the metal line to allow you to bleed air out of the heater core when the vehicle is at operating temperature. Be sure to tighten the fitting when done and enjoy a cooling system without leaks and overheating issues!

NBCat

Old 02-01-2012, 02:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,534 Likes on 3,943 Posts

+1 that it's likely not the thermostat

Be gentle with the hoses and cooling parts as they're old and liable to be brittle.

Bleeding can be awkward so after the fix keep an eye on it and top up as required.

Old 02-01-2012, 05:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

jnjsardy, I'd chime in but I see you recieved the best info. for your particular situation. Thank you for visiting us and good luck with the repair.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:20 AM

thanks everyone, I checked with the jaguar dealership in mobile today and the part is $140, which I guess isnt bad but mobile is a few hours away, anyone know of somewhere I can order it from?

Old 02-01-2012, 09:22 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Try NAPA auto parts or AutoZone near you.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts

Nalley Jaguar in Atlanta, they are forum sponsers and you will receive a 15% discount for mentioning being a Jaguar Forum Member and free shipping over $75.00.

Many here have dealt with Nalley and they are great guys to deal with!!!

Old 02-01-2012, 10:37 AM
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

The correct way to figure out what your problem is to use a coolant pressure tester, I think you can rent them from autozone. Pump the system up to the correct pressure while the car is turned off and watch for leaks.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  19.3 KB

Originally Posted by joycesjag
Nalley Jaguar in Atlanta, they are forum sponsers and you will receive a 15% discount for mentioning being a Jaguar Forum Member and free shipping over $75.00.

Many here have dealt with Nalley and they are great guys to deal with!!!
+1 on all of the above

Old 02-01-2012, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by 03Xtype
The correct way to figure out what your problem is to use a coolant pressure tester, I think you can rent them from autozone. Pump the system up to the correct pressure while the car is turned off and watch for leaks.
the leak is coming from somewhere underneath the reserve, I took a flashlight and looked all around the top and sides and didn't see anything, so I am assuming bottom, but there is still some antifreeze sitting on the bottom of the reserve so I'm wondering if it could be a hose? thoughts?

I also looked inside and didn't see anything, all I can do is sit and wait grrr I need to get some tools beforeI can take the wipers off, times like this i wish my dad and his garage full of tools wasn't so far away

Old 02-01-2012, 11:33 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,702 Posts

If you do not know what is leaking it is advisable to find out what is leaking before you purchase any items. Unless you like the shotgun approach and get it all.

Old 02-01-2012, 02:02 PM

sounds like you need a mirror to see under the res. go buy one when you rent the pressure tester.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Originally Posted by 03Xtype
sounds like you need a mirror to see under the res. go buy one when you rent the pressure tester.
Or one of these for a bit more:

http://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Plu...8147438&sr=8-1

Old 02-02-2012, 05:08 PM

Very cool tool. Anyways there is no spot on all the time problem in that area you having issues, it could be a number of things. I've replaced a lot of budge out hoses and recovery tanks, on the bright side it should be a inexpensive fix unless you have blown the head gasket with the over heating. Your going to have to get a visual on the leak to know what's broken.

Old 02-02-2012, 08:38 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Oh for Pete's sake. Don't go fooling around with mirrors and pressure tests. Your car is 11 years old now and the coolant tank has turned yellow and has developed cracks large enough to leak. Get a replacement from Nally. If you are really insistent on looking for the leak, you should just pull the tank since it's empty. Any way you slice it, good money is on replacing the tank just for being 11 years old.

Old 02-05-2012, 11:40 AM
Talking

you guys are awesome it was the tank, it took a few days longer to get it pulled than I wanted but its out and I'm waiting for nalleys in atlanta to send me the new one. Thank you, Thank you

The following 2 users liked this post by jnjsardy:
JimC64 (02-06-2012), Norri (02-05-2012)
Old 02-05-2012, 12:55 PM
Received 6,321 Likes on 5,508 Posts

Good news, thanks for letting us know.

I hope you didn't spend too much time with mirrors and James Bond cameras.

Quick Reply: female newbie needs help, overheating RESOLVED