S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally got the Magnaflow Hi flow CATS installed on STR, with Pics!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 07:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Finally got the Magnaflow Hi flow CATS installed on STR, with Pics!

Hey guys, I know some of you heard about a few of us with the STR's installed HI Flow CATS and I finally got it done today and wanted to share the outcome with you all.
I have not yet installed the Magnaflow Exhausts yet, but I intend to next week hopefully when they come in.
I luckily took some pics of the Hi Flow CATS installed with the o2 sensors installed with new o2 bungs installed into the pipes one just before inlet and one right after the outlet pipe of the CAt as you can see from the pic. AFter the installation I was really impressed by the craftsmanship of the welder the way he did a really nice finish installing them in and the o2 sensors. The pictures really don't do any justice, you really have to see it in person. But anyhow right now I already have the X-pipe installed and all the resonators are removed with only the El Cheapo Exhausts on at this moment from the previous owner. I guess he went the cheap way to modify it out and got rid of the stock Jag exhaust but he did install a nice 3A Racing 3.5" tips Resonated. All that **** is coming off next week except the X pipe .
**Performance wise and sound, I noticed smoother compression and alittle deeper growl but over all so far happy with it. I technically did the CAT swap because my OEM JAG cATS were both broken apart inside. The honeycomb was flapping around making a hideous clicking sound whenever pressing on the gas pedal. So thank god its gone now! .

**Part number of the Magnaflow HI flow cat I used with the Angular curve at the outlet as you can see from the pic is Part#54975; bought from WholesaleMagnaflow for $86 if I remember correctly a piece. **Cheapest so far I can find on the net.

***Question; I'm still trying to understand how much of a difference will I notice in sound with or without a RESONATED Exhaust TIP?? Can someone with any good knowledge about this, please tell me if I do get a exhaust tip thats resonated will really make a difference in quieting down the sound of the exhaust but the drawback will be I will lost some or very little power because of slowing down the airflow in the resonated tips which in return restricting some power? Alrite now If I choose to go with the NON-Resonated, of course it will be loud, but is it going to be loud like some kind of MUSCLe car roar? I don't mind the deep growl, but I dont' want to hear a lot of it in the CAbin thats my main concern. Please if some can elaborate more on this I would be much obliged.
I definitely recommend getting the Hi flow cats, its well worth the investment down the line. Make sure you get the curved type like the one I got, because it fits really nicely and safely in the same spot as your STock OEMs, whereas if you got the straight type, I'm pretty sure they would be exposed running parallel down across, if that makes sense .

Good luck to all and special thanks to Bfsgross and PHil_deeznuts for giving me advice on accomplishing this
**Sorry dont know why 2 of the pics came out side ways, even though they are saved the right way on my computer.

Attached Thumbnails Finally got the Magnaflow Hi flow CATS installed on STR, with Pics!-cat2.jpg   Finally got the Magnaflow Hi flow CATS installed on STR, with Pics!-cat1.jpg   Finally got the Magnaflow Hi flow CATS installed on STR, with Pics!-cat3.jpg  

Last edited by jag79; 10-07-2010 at 10:07 PM.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

The installer really did a nice job dude! Go with non-resonated tips with a 2 1/2" inlet and 3 1/2" outlet. Thanks to the STR's interior sound deadening package, many will find the interior cabin noise acceptable with Magnaflow mufflers. However, to each his own. For me, the Magnaflow x-pipe and muffler sound is too intoxicating and makes great power, but I need a slightly quieter interior. To remedy this I may delete the Dynomax glass packed straight through pre-mufflers and the Magnaflows in favor of slightly quieter Dynomax Super Turbos. I gifted my spare Dynomax Super Turbos to Vance, so back to Summitt Racing I go. Jag79, now do you believe me (Re: hi-flow cats and x-pipe)? I can't wait for your reaction when you pop on a 1.5 pulley and a low temp. thermostat....

Last edited by bfsgross; 10-12-2010 at 05:57 PM.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:15 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bfsgross
The installer really did a nice job dude! Go with non-resonated tips with a 3" inlet and 3 1/2" outlet. Thanks to the STR's interior sound deadening package, many will find the interior cabin noise acceptable with Magnaflow mufflers. However, to each his own. For me, the Magnaflow x-pipe and muffler sound is too intoxicating and makes great power, but I need a slightly quieter interior. To remedy this I may delete the Dynomax glass packed straight through pre-mufflers and the Magnaflows in favor of slightly quieter Dynomax Super Turbos. I gifted my spare Dynomax Super Turbos to Vance, so back to Summitt Racing I go. Jag79, now do you believe me (Re: hi-flow cats and x-pipe)? I can't wait for your reaction when you pop on a 1.5 pulley and a low temp. thermostat....
...Bfsgross, thanks for the compliments! and Yes having so far the HiFlow CATS did make a difference in power and sound . I too don't want a lot of interior noise, but when I go with the Magnaflow Exhaust Muffler, you think if I get a resonated Exhaust TIp, it would quiet the cabin noise down, or it really doesn't make a difference with resonated or non-resonated? My main concern now is the noise level not to be over bearing to which I would have trouble having a conversation in the car with another person

Last edited by jag79; 10-07-2010 at 11:20 PM.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

so no video....

Old 10-07-2010, 11:19 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Riski
so no video....
..ahhhh Riski your asking too much now man! lolz....jk! I'll try to make one after its all complete next week

Old 10-07-2010, 11:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Old 10-08-2010, 01:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

Originally Posted by jag79
did the CAT swap because my OEM JAG cATS were both broken apart inside. The honeycomb was flapping around making a hideous clicking sound whenever pressing on the gas pedal.
Ouch! How many miles on the car? Any idea why they'd failed - any signs of misfires, air leaks, faulty O2 sensors or anything else that miight affect fuelling?

The pics are plenty good enough, btw.

Old 10-08-2010, 06:15 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagv8
Ouch! How many miles on the car? Any idea why they'd failed - any signs of misfires, air leaks, faulty O2 sensors or anything else that miight affect fuelling?

The pics are plenty good enough, btw.
Hi there, the car has 87k on it right now, my guess is is that whoever had it before me either didn't use the proper octane gas or had faulty u2 sensors before and drove around till selling time came, dunno. But I never got a check engine light since buying the str in 4 months ago and so far everything is fine. I too am very curious of what are the factors that a cat to break apart inside. If any knows please do share.
Thanks.

Old 10-08-2010, 06:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

Usual causes include physical (hitting or other abuse) and misfires. For both to have gone by 87K something bad/unusual has happened.

Old 10-08-2010, 09:22 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagv8
Usual causes include physical (hitting or other abuse) and misfires. For both to have gone by 87K something bad/unusual has happened.
I wish I had take a pic of the inside damaged Oem CATs to show you all . But yeah like the the corners where the honeycomb was attached inside were deteriorated and the mesh was somewhat clogged,lolz...strangely I never got a check engine light on , even though I know it works 100%.

Old 10-12-2010, 03:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you noticed any change in performance from the upgrade?

Old 10-14-2010, 12:15 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bdelgros
Have you noticed any change in performance from the upgrade?
..hey there, sorry for the late reply. So far with the CAT Swap with the Magnaflow Hi flow cats, I noticed better throttle response and a slight power surge in the torque end, and a deeper growl sound. But performance wise, yes it did make a difference from my stock Jag Cats. You have to understand you are getting 30% more airflow without any restrictions in the CATs as compared to the OEM. Its very close to having no CATs at all. But I highly recommend you or anyone else do it sooner or later. I'm still waiting on my Magnaflow Exhaust and 4" tips coming in next week. Once I get them on, I'll give an update how much more of an improvement it did make or not at all .

Old 10-14-2010, 05:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

If I were you I wouldn't worry "if" there will be a difference in power once you place those Magnaflow mufflers in....