S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finding TSB's performed

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 02:33 AM
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Finding TSB's performed

The dealer wants $160.00 just to hook the Jag up to the scanner to tell me if the transmission TSB's have been performed. I thought checking for TSB's that have been done was a simple search on the dealers PC. Am I wrong?

Is there a way for me to look them up?

Old 10-18-2013, 04:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,535 Likes on 3,944 Posts

They can probably check TSBs if they were done by a dealer (and they updated jag's central records). So, not 100% by any means. Whereas if they hook IDS/SDD up it will read the TCM and check to see if current and more or less insist on updating.

Now, each calibration (software version) has a unique CALID, and it can be read using an appropriate tool. You can do it with an elm327 but need to be able to talk direct to the elm using something like PUTTY or hyperterminal, then issue a bunch of weirdish commands. Probably could persuade Torque or the like to do it - well, maybe. hmm, OBD Pidreader might do it (is Windoze only I think).

We'd need to know what the CALID should be to see if yours is the newest. I know mine, but not convinced it'll be appropriate comparison as I have a 2004 STR.

Old 10-19-2013, 12:07 PM

I called 2 other Jag dealers and they all said the same thing that the car has to be hooked up to know. I thought it weird as any other car I had it was all accessible to the dealer on the computer.

Oh well, it is what it is.....another of the idiosyncrasies of Jaguar

Old 10-19-2013, 02:28 PM
Received 2,192 Likes on 1,358 Posts

A tsb for what, a trans reflash done in 2010??? That wouldnt be the latest update now would it. There are new updates coming out all the time for differant things and yes the only way to know is to hook it up and it compares what is loaded in the tcm to what online is avail as the latest tcm version update. If it doubt i would just reflash and this also clears adaptations at the same time. That fee is the same to check as to update

Last edited by Brutal; 10-19-2013 at 02:32 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Diamondrmp (10-20-2013)
Old 10-20-2013, 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by Brutal
A tsb for what, a trans reflash done in 2010??? That wouldnt be the latest update now would it. There are new updates coming out all the time for differant things and yes the only way to know is to hook it up and it compares what is loaded in the tcm to what online is avail as the latest tcm version update. If it doubt i would just reflash and this also clears adaptations at the same time. That fee is the same to check as to update

Thank you.

Old 10-20-2013, 08:55 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Diamondrmp
I thought it weird as any other car I had it was all accessible to the dealer on the computer.
Not true nowadays, unless the car has been maintained only at the dealer - and ket's face it many are not. Has yours been? Actually, I can tell it hasn't because your TCM would already have the most recent software if it had been!

This just is not a jag-specific feature or oddity no matter how much you may like to post that it is.

Old 10-21-2013, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by jagv8
not true nowadays, unless the car has been maintained only at the dealer - and ket's face it many are not. Has yours been? Actually, i can tell it hasn't because your tcm would already have the most recent software if it had been!

This just is not a jag-specific feature or oddity no matter how much you may like to post that it is.
this is not a true statement, just going to the dealer does not meen we just randomly reflash everything wiithout a concern. This applies to not only under warranty but customer pay too. Tsb's are not free to either jaguar or a customer. And there would be no reason to reflash unless there is a issue that warrants it. And just loading the latest and greatest is not always wise to do either. As i was just reminded when i reflashed a srs module after replacing a weight sensor, didnt have to but a update was avail. Well that update told the module it was built with a passenger seat disable switch, not in this market. It then had a fault that could not be fixed without jaguar fixing the software 3 weeks later...just fyi

The following 2 users liked this post by Brutal:
Jon89 (10-21-2013), motorcarman (10-21-2013)
Old 10-23-2013, 12:25 PM

Brutal I have a question. There is a shop here that specializes in European cars and they said they can perform the TSB's. Can independent shops perform TSB'S?

Old 10-23-2013, 12:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

Anybody can perform TSB's. There is nothing special about them. All they are is focused repair advice that Jaguar thought should be highlighted because it's common and the normal repair information is too little or does not tell you how to fix it.

They are really for the dealer mechanics so they can fix common problems quickly. They are very valuable for us DIY guys because they address problems that we are likely to have. Instead of using the JTIS and spending time figuring out where to look.

Old 10-23-2013, 01:56 PM
Veteran Member

this is not a true statement, just going to the dealer does not meen we just randomly reflash everything wiithout a concern. This applies to not only under warranty but customer pay too. Tsb's are not free to either jaguar or a customer. And there would be no reason to reflash unless there is a issue that warrants it. And just loading the latest and greatest is not always wise to do either. As i was just reminded when i reflashed a srs module after replacing a weight sensor, didnt have to but a update was avail. Well that update told the module it was built with a passenger seat disable switch, not in this market. It then had a fault that could not be fixed without jaguar fixing the software 3 weeks later...just fyi
That's all very interesting but not particularly appropriate to what I posted. I didn't say TSBs are free, for example. I guess I needed to go into detail that the TCM would've been reflashed if the car was taken in and a reflash was deemed necessary (and the customer agreed to pay if the reflash was not free) or the customer demanded it or some such but trying to get an all-encompassing lawyer-like wording of exactly what-happens-when takes a ton of words and achieves little really. And even then a TSB performed wouldn't necessarily be shown on another shop's computer so without the car in their shop not all work done could be discerned.

Last edited by JagV8; 10-23-2013 at 02:49 PM.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by jagv8
that's all very interesting but not particularly appropriate to what i posted. I didn't say tsbs are free, for example. I guess i needed to go into detail that the tcm would've been reflashed if the car was taken in and a reflash was deemed necessary (and the customer agreed to pay if the reflash was not free) or the customer demanded it or some such but trying to get an all-encompassing lawyer-like wording of exactly what-happens-when takes a ton of words and achieves little really. And even then a tsb performed wouldn't necessarily be shown on another shop's computer so without the car in their shop not all work done could be discerned.
i know what your meaning you tried to convey was. But others may take it that all tsb's get done if they apply to a car when you go to the dealer. Which they don't, and the only reason i said that is yes, because others have posted/thought that.

And diamond, yes any shop can do it as long as they have the software to do it and it is the latest/greatest.

Old 10-24-2013, 01:06 AM

i know what your meaning you tried to convey was. But others may take it that all tsb's get done if they apply to a car when you go to the dealer. Which they don't, and the only reason i said that is yes, because others have posted/thought that.

And diamond, yes any shop can do it as long as they have the software to do it and it is the latest/greatest.
Thank you.

Old 10-24-2013, 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by tbird6
Anybody can perform TSB's. There is nothing special about them. All they are is focused repair advice that Jaguar thought should be highlighted because it's common and the normal repair information is too little or does not tell you how to fix it.

They are really for the dealer mechanics so they can fix common problems quickly. They are very valuable for us DIY guys because they address problems that we are likely to have. Instead of using the JTIS and spending time figuring out where to look.

Thank you