S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Finger-Slicing Driver's Door Lock Problem....

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 01:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,349 Likes on 2,846 Posts
Default The Finger-Slicing Driver's Door Lock Problem....

I remember several members here posting quite a while ago that the foil edges of their drivers-side interior door lock button began to separate, exposing sharp edges that in some cases sliced up their fingers when they attempted to lock or unlock their door. This happened to my wife yesterday, so I need to resolve it. So to those of you who have experienced this problem, how did you fix it? Peel away the metal foil and just leave the white plastic exposed? Replace the component with a new one (if so, how much and where did you source it)? Or just ignore it and always remember to use the lock/unlock button on the dash whenever you are inside the cabin?

Yes, I did a search before posting using "sharp edges drivers door lock handle". Nothing came up, which surprised me since I remember this being discussed several times. But I don't remember how the affected members fixed the issue....

Old 12-22-2011, 02:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 20,498 Likes on 8,269 Posts

I just use the door handle to open the door upon exiting. You might want to put a small bit of scotch tape (or equal) for now around that item until it can be fixed. That should save her fingers for now.

Old 12-22-2011, 02:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,520 Likes on 3,931 Posts

I don't think it was posted under many/any of the obvious keywords

Might include
unlock
and/or
peel
and/or peeling
which won't be unique enough I guess

I think it's not a handle (arguably) and that the poster may not have mentioned sharp or edge.

Old 12-22-2011, 03:25 PM
Received 973 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon89
I remember several members here posting quite a while ago that the foil edges of their drivers-side interior door lock button began to separate, exposing sharp edges that in some cases sliced up their fingers when they attempted to lock or unlock their door. This happened to my wife yesterday, so I need to resolve it. So to those of you who have experienced this problem, how did you fix it? Peel away the metal foil and just leave the white plastic exposed? Replace the component with a new one (if so, how much and where did you source it)? Or just ignore it and always remember to use the lock/unlock button on the dash whenever you are inside the cabin?

Yes, I did a search before posting using "sharp edges drivers door lock handle". Nothing came up, which surprised me since I remember this being discussed several times. But I don't remember how the affected members fixed the issue....
For a short while Jaguar made the little chrome cap available to fix that, but it was only available for about a year. Now the only way they have to fix it is the entire interior handle assembly. I haven't heard of any other method, maybe someone else has.

Cheers,

Old 12-22-2011, 08:59 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

It's hard for me to picture exactly where this is happening but...could clear nail polish work to solve the problem?

Old 12-22-2011, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by Toller
It's hard for me to picture exactly where this is happening but...could clear nail polish work to solve the problem?
No, when that chrome peels it is deadly sharp. Attached is a little something that explains it pretty well.

Cheers,

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
S-Type Lock Cover.pdf (950.6 KB, 337 views)
The following 2 users liked this post by xjrguy:
aholbro1 (12-23-2011), joycesjag (12-23-2011)
Old 12-23-2011, 08:11 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the feedback. Sure wish that chrome cap that xjrguy mentioned was still available. Perhaps it did not stay on, and that is why it was discontinued....

I am not willing to purchase an entire new interior door handle assembly because I believe the problem will simply reoccur. I may cover the edge with duct tape for the time being, or I may decide to peel off all of the metal foil, leaving the white plastic underneath. And if I do that, I may attempt to paint the white plastic with a silver-finish paint....

The easiest solution is to never touch that button, using the door lock/unlock button on the dash instead. I have explained that to my wife. But she still wants the sharp edges removed....

Our other three door locks do not suffer from this problem. Yet....

If I come up with an effective solution, I'll let you know....

Old 12-23-2011, 09:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,702 Likes on 1,211 Posts

jon

I have/had a couple ideas:

1) On a whim, I called motorcarsltd, sadly Ken Karr has moved on, but I did speak to a rep. and inquired if they carried the replacement chrome lock cover....simply stated no, the rep. hung up on me prior to asking if they carried a replacement door handle assembly, new or used.

2) Could the edge be filed down, from the looks of Steves pdf file (post #6 thank you Steve), it appears that the chrome lockcover is easily removed.

3) With the chrome lock cover removed, I wonder if it could be sent off to a plastic chromer and be rechromed. I am sure that this could be done very inexpensively

Again just my meandering thoughts.

Old 12-23-2011, 09:41 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

To try and be constructive, Jon. Take it apart. Peel off the metal plate exposing the plastic. Get some plastic adhesion promoter (like a primer for plastic). Then get the silver metallic spray that they sell in the auto parts place. It won't look perfect but will probably hold up better.

BTW, when I traded mine it had just started peeling as well.

Just saw Rick's solution (number 3) and like that one much better than mine...But I'll leave mine there for poops and snickers...

Last edited by JOsworth; 12-23-2011 at 09:44 AM.
Old 12-23-2011, 09:44 AM
Veteran Member

Just spoke with forum sponsor Nalley Jaguar. From a parts standpoint, they can only sell me the entire door handle/lock assembly. They had never heard of the chrome cap solution that xjrguy mentioned earlier. Our member price is $106 for a new door handle/lock assembly. I'm not willing to do that since I believe the peeling foil flaw was never addressed and a new piece will eventually suffer the same fate. So for the time being, I have placed a small piece of duct tape over the offending sharp edge. Certainly not a permanent solution, but it will prevent future finger cuts on the wife until I can come up with the permanent fix....

Old 12-23-2011, 10:13 AM
Veteran Member

Maybe they'd have more luck with the jag part #s (in the PDF xjrguy posted). XR856669 looks to be available over here (hmm, if it really is) www.jagspares.co.uk/Manners/partdetail.asp?partno=XR856669

Old 12-23-2011, 10:54 AM

Well, that's certainly interesting, John........ Nice job!

I wonder if someone would actually get one if they ordered it??

I knew I always hung on to this weird stuff for SOME reason!

Cheers,

Old 12-23-2011, 11:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,702 Likes on 1,211 Posts

Hey NOW!!!!!!

Damn I must be bored today,

Jon and John, I just contacted Scott Jaguar Charlotte, Wayne (parts guy) says part # XR856669 (chrome lock cap) is available as a special order..... hold on to your britches........$7.83.

The following users liked this post:
Jon89 (12-23-2011)
Old 12-23-2011, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by joycesjag
Hey NOW!!!!!!

Damn I must be bored today,

Jon and John, I just contacted Scott Jaguar Charlotte, Wayne (parts guy) says part # XR856669 (chrome lock cap) is available as a special order..... hold on to your britches........$7.83.
Hmmmm. I'm not sure your guy did his due diligence. The part # does show up in the catalogue, but it supersedes as "No Longer Available". In Parts Communication it shows as no stock at any plant within Jaguar.

I hope I'm wrong, I like cheap fixes!

Cheers,

Old 12-23-2011, 12:31 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks Rick. It's worth a try, so I'll call the Greensboro and Cary dealerships with the part number to see what they say. I'm not expecting it to be available, but we'll see....

Old 12-23-2011, 12:44 PM
Veteran Member

umm, it's not even that cheap

just cheaper than the whole caboodle

Old 12-23-2011, 12:54 PM
Veteran Member

The Greensboro dealer's parts department says that their system shows a total of four of these chrome caps in stock at other dealers around the country. They said they will acquire one of these and sell it to me for $7.30 plus tax. With the holidays upon us, they expect it will take them a week or so to get the item in hand. So we'll see if it actually shows up there, or if they call me back to say it was all a mirage and the caps are no longer available....

Thanks again, Rick....

Old 12-24-2011, 10:10 AM
Veteran Member

Update:

A closer read of xjrguy's PDF attachment above seems to indicate that XR856669 is the chrome cap cover for the RIGHT-side interior door locks of the S-Type. XR856670 is apparently the chrome cap cover for the LEFT-side interior door locks of the S-Type, which is the side I need. With the Greensoboro dealership now closed for Christmas, I won't be able to clear this up until early next week....

Old 12-24-2011, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Jon89
Update:

A closer read of xjrguy's PDF attachment above seems to indicate that XR856669 is the chrome cap cover for the RIGHT-side interior door locks of the S-Type. XR856670 is apparently the chrome cap cover for the LEFT-side interior door locks of the S-Type, which is the side I need. With the Greensoboro dealership now closed for Christmas, I won't be able to clear this up until early next week....
I'll be interested as well. I neglected to think about the idea some dealer somewhere might still have an old, no longer available part laying on a shelf in a corner.
I'm curious too about the website JagV8 found. Time will tell......

Cheers,

Old 12-24-2011, 11:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts

Yeah it happened to me and I just avoid the damn thing.

"My kitty bit me today" or something like that ...

I always wondered if careful masking, a work blanket on the interior and a whole lot of patience would allow one to use crazy glue to get that chrome to adhere to the button again?

I never tried it.

It's a total POS.

Jaguar's not handling this properly is one reason these cars have such a dismal resale. Infiniti handled stuff like this really well when I had issues. All cars have issues. It's how it's handled that counts.

Let us know if the replacement stuff works and thanks for pursuing this.

Quick Reply: The Finger-Slicing Driver's Door Lock Problem....