S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fire - plastic starter cable cover burns!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 05:53 PM
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Fire - plastic starter cable cover burns!

Hi guys, drove into the driveway after an hour trip and smelled burning plastic/wires. Discovered that the plastic covers that cover the positive battery cable at the starter terminal on my 2005 4.2L were black and melted.

What happened? Something went to ground and sparked the positive cable?

The whole terminal on the starter is now "loose" .

Was just planning on replacing the starter, but it occurred to me that maybe something else caused the problem and just ruined the starter in the process.

Anyone have any ideas about this?

Secondly, is the Lincoln LS starter going to substitute for this part?

Appreciate your thoughts.
Thanks,
Joe

Old 04-09-2014, 03:56 AM
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Probably shorted out against something - exhaust downpipe perhaps?

Old 04-09-2014, 11:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,621 Posts

most likely the solenoid jammed and the starter kept drawing power during the drive

Old 04-09-2014, 12:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,985 Likes on 2,124 Posts

Does your car have the underside engine cover installed? Without the cover road salt may get up there and cause problems.

Old 04-13-2014, 08:40 PM
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Update - Job done - helpful tips

All good thoughts and questions. Thanks. Here is what I found. About a month ago I had a severe coolant leak in the small hose that goes to the throttle body. Only, I didn't know that is where the leak was. It was small at first and I was only 40 miles from my destination. Added 1 gallon of coolant.

10 miles later, it of course got worse, I had to add two gallons of coolant.

5 miles later, if it could, it did get worse, I added two more gallons. Finally figured at this rate I could use straight water.

5 miles later, I just couldn't chance it any more. Stopped and had her towed.

All of those gallons poured out the back of the engine bay right down over the starter. It is my opinion that is what set the stage for this problem.

Agree with best guess that solenoid stuck and shorted out. The terminal that the positive wire bolts to was now loose after the fire.

Actually lucky that fire started at home, used fire extinguisher for kitchen on engine bay. Seemed to work. Quickly guessed it could have been starter related because of location of flame and disconnected battery ASAP. Sure explains why race cars have battery shutoff switches.

Now, as it appears only a few of use have attempted to change the dang starter, those in future might benefit from a few tips I learned along the way.

1.) Position the replacement starter in the same orientation so that you can get a better understanding of where the top bolt is located.

2.)The tool I found most useful in getting the 13mm top bolt loose from the starter is attached. There is room on top of the starter (not solenoid) to get a socket on the bolt, but you have to an exact length of extension to get the ratchet on because the motor mount is in the way. So, I gave up on the socket and after trying every wrench in the box, found this one worked for me.

3.) When installing the starter, remember the socket and extension that was a little too long? Now is the time it comes in handy. Insert the top bolt through the casting hole and attach socket with extension (forget the ratchet, you will use your fingers), position starter in place. The bolt is tapered and finds its place fairly easily if you DO NOT START with the bottom bolt. Finger tighten bolt by turning exposed part of extension. Then just finish tightening with wrench.

It took me hours to get that bolt out before I found the wrench that worked, but only took me 10 minutes to put the whole starter back in.

Hope that helps the next guy. Just trying to pay it forward.

Thanks,
Joe

Attached Thumbnails Fire - plastic starter cable cover burns!-003.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Norri (04-13-2014)