S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First car

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2014 | 10:57 PM
|
Default First car

Jaguar has always been one of my favorite car brands and I am buying my first car, I'm probably going to go with the s type but I am thinking about the x type since I live in a snowy region. I like the steering wheel of the x type but I like the interior setup and outside appearance of the s type. Any thoughts on which one would be best or something else?

Old 08-10-2014 | 04:03 AM

Firstly welcome to the real world of motoring.

I suggest the S Type.

At the risk of flaming and banning, I simply do not like Front Wheel Drive in a Jag. I reserve that pleasure for the Rice brigade out there.

BUT, I have driven one, it was a 4WD 3ltr, and I simply could not come to terms with it, maybe I am simply toooooo old to change my attitude, oh well, life goes on.

Whatever your choice, REMEMBER, it is a JAGUAR, and that is all that is needed for that Jaguar Smile you MUST master quickly.

Old 08-10-2014 | 05:18 AM
GGG

Welcome to the forum carmac,

Your location in the US will help members tell if you are talking 4WD for serious snow or a few flakes. I'm guessing in Wisconsin that it's the serious variety?

As this is going to be your first car, you need to be clear in your own mind on who is going to maintain it. A happy Jaguar ownership experience depends on:

1. finding the right vehicle (full service history / everything working).
2. accepting the cost of ownership can be high if you either can't or won't do much of your own maintenance.

Always remember these vehicles have low used car values but running costs don't drop the same way.

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some info about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 08-10-2014 | 10:11 PM
|

First thanks for the feedback and second I would also like to know if the x type has any of the same features or better features then the a type, another option I was looking at was an older vanden plas or an xj8 so if you know which one has the best features or is the better overall car let me know, thanks.

Old 08-11-2014 | 05:29 AM

Now thats pushing the envelope a tad.

Much like the "how long is a piece of string" scenario.

Each one of the suggested variants is unique in its own way, so, I believe there is no answer in the real terms of that question.

As you can see in my Sig, I have had lots of Jags, and the X300 XJ6 is a remarkable car, and my physical challenges now make entry and exit from mine too painful, hence the S Types and the X300 sitting in storage.

My strong suggestion is to go and drive each model, and drive it for a good time frame, and then make your decision.