Veteran Member
Received 643 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by plums
... therefore, out of ten single malt Scotch Whiskies that meet the
legal requirements for that appellation, there should be no discernible
difference. Indeed, moonshine would do as well since it is also a
grain based alcohol.

The single malt afficianodos posting to this thread will have an
aneurism, but it clearly follows their particular line of reasoning.

Personally, single malts give me a headache.

As for oil, I like the premise of Pennzoil Ultra Platinum, I just cannot get it
in my preferred weights so I'm settling for 0W40 Castrol Euro on the upcoming
change. Wish is wasn't a 0W though.

No, I absolutely refuse to use 0W10 Regular Grade Ethanol no matter what anyone posts.

++
Shell Helix Ultra with PurePlus Technology 5W-30. Same stock. Shell owns Pennzoil. US market gets Penn... UK is Shell

Last edited by Box; 04-13-2016 at 03:49 AM.
Old 04-12-2016, 07:49 PM
Received 2,266 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by plums
... therefore, out of ten single malt Scotch Whiskies that meet the
legal requirements for that appellation, there should be no discernible
difference.
For select and vital criteria, there isn't.

Under penalty of law they have precisely the amount of Alcohol By Volume (ABV) stated on the label.

If a consumer is comparing bottle A at 40% ABV to bottle B at 40% ABV, they are therefore identical in amount of alcohol. It would be false then for a person to say that one is 'different' or 'better' than the other.

If a person needed a liquid that was 40% ABV and no other criteria mattered, then 40% ABV moonshine would do the job.

BTW- not all moonshine is grain based.

Old 04-13-2016, 03:05 AM
Received 181 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Box
Now you're simply being argumentive.
Get a grip, Box, you must be mistaken! However, the description of the parson in Oliver Goldsmith's The Deserted Village comes to mind:
In arguing too, the parson owned his skill,
For 'een though vanquished, he could argue still.

Old 04-13-2016, 04:33 AM
Box
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Robinb
Get a grip, Box, you must be mistaken! However, the description of the parson in Oliver Goldsmith's The Deserted Village comes to mind:
“If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.” ― W.C. Fields.

I still invite anyone to take a mix of 10 conventional, semi and full synthetics, all the same weight, side by side and do a cold pour test, and then tell me which you would want in your Jaguar. (and not to worry, whether you are in North America, or the rest of the world, the atmosphere and gravity are still relatively the same)

Last edited by Box; 04-13-2016 at 04:51 AM.
Old 04-13-2016, 07:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,551 Likes on 3,958 Posts

Originally Posted by Box
Now you're simply being argumentive.

Jaguar and Castrol Partnership - Co-engineering Quality Oil

Jaguar exclusively recommends Castrol EDGE Professional oil, (fully synthetic) engineered to perfectly complement our engines and optimise performance. Castrol EDGE Professional is stocked by Jaguar dealers.
hmm, I think that post-dates the S-Type and its oil spec.

Over here S-Types (there were a lot) fall off the road for things like collisions and rust. (Oh, and being a diesel with DPF.)

Use the oil you like. I'm using oil I like, due to it meeting jag's specs and being affordable. Everyone gets to choose

Old 04-13-2016, 07:15 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Box
The context is "there is no difference in engine oil as long as it meets a given API rating" and this is clearly untrue.
That wasn't the context - you've made it up.

Old 04-13-2016, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by JagV8
hmm, I think that post-dates the S-Type and its oil spec.
Exactly. There's no mention of this spec being retroactive. The oil might be required for the latest generation of engines (and even that's still up for debate) but to think that there's some inherent benefit for previous generations of cars is a huge leap of fantasy.

To infer that a marketing alliance is now mandatory is the perfect example of baffling with bu**sh*t.

Pouring oil from bottles when cold as a meaningful measure analogous to engine life is the ultimate snake oil show.

Old 04-13-2016, 10:22 AM
Box
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mikey
Exactly. There's no mention of this spec being retroactive. The oil might be required for the latest generation of engines (and even that's still up for debate) but to think that there's some inherent benefit for previous generations of cars is a huge leap of fantasy.

To infer that a marketing alliance is now mandatory is the perfect example of baffling with bu**sh*t.

Pouring oil from bottles when cold as a meaningful measure analogous to engine life is the ultimate snake oil show.
So ASTM D-97 tests are snake oil? Where did you get your knowledge of oil? The only thing you're proving here is just how unlearned you are concerning the basic tests to determining factors of an oil's viscosity and ratings. I suggest before you continue to show us all in a public forum just how unlearned you are, you might actually do some research before typing. I'm still waiting for you to show us all one single conventional or semi-synthetic that meets Ford WSS-M2C913-B to support your assertion that "But not all oils that meets (and exceed) those specs are synthetic"

Sorry if that hurts, and I do hope you have a great day.

Last edited by Box; 04-13-2016 at 10:24 AM.
Old 04-13-2016, 10:23 AM
Received 6,339 Likes on 5,524 Posts

Originally Posted by Robinb
Originally Posted by Box
“If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.” ― W.C. Fields.
Have at the oil discussion all you like, but if this degenerates into a personal argument that will be the end of it.

Old 04-13-2016, 10:25 AM
Box
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Norri
Have at the oil discussion all you like, but if this degenerates into a personal argument that will be the end of it.
Look both ways before crossing the street... Just sayin' False assertions with no legitimate method to support your position is not good information to have on a global board. Please be mindful of this as well.

Old 04-13-2016, 10:38 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Box
show us all one single conventional or semi-synthetic that meets Ford WSS-M2C913-B
I bought them and put them in my car.

No idea if they're still for sale 7 years on and frankly don't particularly care but they DID exist AND I USED THEM.

Now prove ME wrong.

hmm, I can do better. here's one I haven't used but for sale now http://www.halfords.com/motoring/eng...ic-ford-oil-5l

Last edited by JagV8; 04-13-2016 at 10:42 AM.
Old 04-13-2016, 10:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,392 Likes on 2,868 Posts

While folks continue to **** in each others' coffee (as always with any discussion involving motor oil), the correct answer remains:

"Run any motor oil you wish that meets the required specs published in your owners manual...."

Now back to our regular programming....

The following users liked this post:
Jumpin' Jag Flash (04-14-2016)
Old 04-13-2016, 10:43 AM
Box
Veteran Member

I bought them and put them in my car.

No idea if they're still for sale 7 years on and frankly don't particularly care but they DID exist AND I USED THEM.

Now prove ME wrong.
Great! The documentation can be found online. Go find the Product Data Sheet and let's review. Until that time, I will consider your post just what it is. Bovine scatology. And Halfords website claim is not supported by the actual Product Data Sheet. It is a clever way to sell oil that is a no-name brand from a box store. But hey, everything you read on someone's website is always true...right? Try going to Ford.

Last edited by Box; 04-13-2016 at 11:21 AM.
Old 04-13-2016, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Box
So ASTM D-97 tests are snake oil?
Nobody said that. Here's what you said:

Originally Posted by Box

I still invite anyone to take a mix of 10 conventional, semi and full synthetics, all the same weight, side by side and do a cold pour test, and then tell me which you would want in your Jaguar.
Which prompted:

Neither one test result nor the other inherently correlates to engine life, contrary to your multiple assertions.

If the 'worst' oil in your test allows a long and happy engine life, as apparently is the case given that the oldest S-types are now in their late teens, then insisting that an oil that 'scored better' is of benefit makes no sense.

Such is the case also with promoting synthetics and semi synthetics over regular oil.

Old 04-13-2016, 11:18 AM
Box
Veteran Member

Nobody said that. Here's what you said:

Which prompted:

Neither one test result nor the other inherently correlates to engine life, contrary to your multiple assertions.

If the 'worst' oil in your test allows a long and happy engine life, as apparently is the case given that the oldest S-types are now in their late teens, then insisting that an oil that 'scored better' is of benefit makes no sense.

Such is the case also with promoting synthetics and semi synthetics over regular oil.
ASTM-97 is called the cold pour test. I stand behind what I said, as does the industry. Try again. The really sad part here Mikey, is that Jaguar recommends using the latest technologies in oils for their engine for numerous reason, and have been since they have been on the market and available to that market area. To discount Jaguar's own position, in a bias against synthetics, and then say it doesn't affect engine life, is absurd. In conclusion I couldn't care less what you place in your crankcase, however the claims you are making by reason of your bias, even against the manufacturer and their recommendations that supersedes a prior recommendation, isn't in the interest of the worldwide audience that comes to this board for solid advice. It only serves your position that "its a waste of money" when in fact synthetics outperform conventional oils in every category, and are in many cases as economical as non-synthetic. Go argue with Jaguar.

Last edited by Box; 04-13-2016 at 11:37 AM.
Old 04-13-2016, 12:29 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Box
Great! The documentation can be found online. Go find the Product Data Sheet and let's review. Until that time, I will consider your post just what it is. Bovine scatology. And Halfords website claim is not supported by the actual Product Data Sheet. It is a clever way to sell oil that is a no-name brand from a box store. But hey, everything you read on someone's website is always true...right? Try going to Ford.
I see you ignored the part where I pointed out I HAVE used the kinds you allege did not exist.

Still, I suppose you just don't like people with actual experience contrary to what you post.

I guess you'll say these people lie about what they sell as well as Halfords, despite the laws here http://www.euro-oils.com/lubricants/...gine-oil-slcf/

Likewise these are also wrong? http://www.exportize.co.uk/wp-conten...etic-5W-30.pdf

Or http://www.revolutionoil.co.uk/techn...0131127-32.pdf

Last edited by JagV8; 04-13-2016 at 01:20 PM.
Old 04-13-2016, 04:04 PM
Box
Veteran Member

I see you ignored the part where I pointed out I HAVE used the kinds you allege did not exist.

Still, I suppose you just don't like people with actual experience contrary to what you post.

I guess you'll say these people lie about what they sell as well as Halfords, despite the laws here 5W/30 Semi-Synthetic Engine Oil SL/CF | Euro Oils Sapphire Semi Synthetic Oils

Likewise these are also wrong? http://www.exportize.co.uk/wp-conten...etic-5W-30.pdf

Or http://www.revolutionoil.co.uk/techn...0131127-32.pdf
I'll stick to Ashland/Mobil, BP/Castrol, Shell/Pennzoil/Quaker State thank you.

Ford 5w30 WSS-M2C 913-B Car Engine Oil

Old 04-13-2016, 04:38 PM
Veteran Member

As I've said multiple times use what you like but looks like I proved your assertion wrong.

Old 04-13-2016, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Box
Try again. The really sad part here Mikey, is that Jaguar recommends using the latest technologies in oils for their engine for numerous reason, and have been since they have been on the market and available to that market area. To discount Jaguar's own position, in a bias against synthetics, and then say it doesn't affect engine life, is absurd.
There's nothing sad here. I'd honestly appreciate you or anyone coming up with some evidence that these oils due indeed affect engine life. All I do read is lots of theory and assumption, but never any credible field results. It's been that way for the 4 decades I've been poking my nose in on the subject.

Again- If Jag issues a spec in 2016 and states that it affects all vehicles but DOES NOT issue any bulletin stating that it is retroactive- then it isn't. The spec. in force at the time the vehicle was manufactured prevails.

That's how the industry works. You should know that- if you indeed worked in it.

There are many verifiable stories of lubricants (engine oil/ZDDP levels, GL4 and GL5 diff and trans lubricants, etc.) shown NOT to be backwards compatible.

There's no stories that I can find where the use of today's oils being any better (field results) than what was available when the car was manufactured.

That says something.

Old 04-13-2016, 04:52 PM
Box
Veteran Member

There's nothing sad here. I'd honestly appreciate you or anyone coming up with some evidence that these oils due indeed affect engine life. All I do read is lots of theory and assumption, but never any credible field results. It's been that way for the 4 decades I've been poking my nose in on the subject.

Again- If Jag issues a spec in 2016 and states that it affects all vehicles but DOES NOT issue any bulletin stating that it is retroactive- then it isn't. The spec. in force at the time the vehicle was manufactured prevails.

That's how the industry works. You should know that- if you indeed worked in it.

There are many verifiable stories of lubricants (engine oil/ZDDP levels, GL4 and GL5 diff and trans lubricants, etc.) shown NOT to be backwards compatible.

There's no stories that I can find where the use of today's oils being any better (field results) than what was available when the car was manufactured.

That says something.
How about you contact Jaguar before making such assertions to their recommendations, rather than asserting you're Jaguar.

Quick Reply: First Oil Change