Sponsored by:

First Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2016, 08:29 AM
Box
Veteran Member
Received 643 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by JagV8
And I'll ask again about the proof you have for the oils your pushing making a demonstrably significant long-term improvement for the AJV8 engine.
The advantages of using modern synthetics is beyond questioning. The use of synthetics over conventional oils provides numerous advantages, no matter what engine, by any manufacturer, Jaguar included. ASTM, the industry standard, shows significant results in every category. To deny this is willful blindness. To look past VVT issues due to conventional oil coking in the passages should give you a clue.

Last edited by Box; 04-16-2016 at 08:45 AM.
Old 04-16-2016, 11:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,551 Likes on 3,958 Posts

Great. As I've said, my interest my actual car (to some extent other S-Types I suppose) with its actual engine. No apparent data to mandate synthetics for it.

Old 04-16-2016, 11:25 AM
Box
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagV8
Great. As I've said, my interest my actual car (to some extent other S-Types I suppose) with its actual engine. No apparent data to mandate synthetics for it.
You know JagV8, I've met plenty of people in my life who place their hands over their eyes and say "I simply cannot see that.." as well.

In the end, I couldn't care less what you use in your vehicle, it's yours. But I think if you were to take a look at the costs of conventional oils @ 3000 mile intervals, ($17 for 5qt) vs. synthetics @ 7500 mile or even 5000 mile intervals, ($22~$27 for 5qt) you will find it less expensive to use synthetics. Conventional oils do not meet the criteria of extended drain intervals either. The value received in better engine protection alone should give you reason to pause and rethink your position. Check back in with us when you've spoken with a Zone rep on their recommendations.

Average 12k miles per year, conventional @ 3000 mile intervals come roughly to $70 in oil, 4 filters @ $10 (arbitrary) is about $110
Using synthetics @ 6000 mile intervals @ less than $60 and 2 filters @ $15 (extended performance) is roughly less than $90 per year.
Using a high quality synthetic @ 12,000 mile interval $50 and one filter @ 15 is about $65 per year.
And the 12k mile good synthetic will still possess better lubrication and protection than fresh out of the bottle conventional with 0 miles.

Last edited by Box; 04-16-2016 at 11:48 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Jumpin' Jag Flash (04-16-2016)
Old 04-16-2016, 11:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,551 Likes on 3,958 Posts

You know, I'm happy with what Jaguar say I should do. In fact I'm much happier with Jaguar knowing their engines than some random poster on the net who thinks better.

When people ask on here about oil, people generally tell them the Jaguar change interval, oil spec, etc. If you want to start chiming in with your opinions go ahead.

Old 04-16-2016, 11:39 AM
Received 181 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Box
The advantages of using modern synthetics is beyond questioning. The use of synthetics over conventional oils provides numerous advantages, no matter what engine, by any manufacturer, Jaguar included. ASTM, the industry standard, shows significant results in every category. To deny this is willful blindness. To look past VVT issues due to conventional oil coking in the passages should give you a clue.
Can't argue with that.

Since engines don't talk, we'll never really know whether they could or could not care less. However, if engines could talk, you might hear either:

"What the hell - I'm probably going to outlast the rest of the car, gimme the cheap stuff, we'll see what we can do", or

"Thanks, that really feels a little better, you won't regret this".

Box (04-16-2016)
Old 04-16-2016, 11:40 AM
Received 6,339 Likes on 5,524 Posts

3,000 mile intervals? Are you being serious?

Old 04-16-2016, 12:01 PM
Box
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Norri
3,000 mile intervals? Are you being serious?
The most common recommendation for conventional non-synthetic is to change the oil every 3,000 miles or six months, whichever occurs first. It has been for decades. Severe service intervals (stop and go driving) for non extended-performance oils certainly fall in this category of service interval.

Last edited by Box; 04-16-2016 at 12:03 PM.
Old 04-16-2016, 12:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,392 Likes on 2,868 Posts

Anyone doing 3,000-mile conventional oil change intervals is throwing money right down the drain. All four of my vehicles run conventional oil, I change it every 6,000 to 7,500 miles along with the oil filter, and I've never had an engine failure in more than 46 years of driving....

If you're suggesting 3,000-mile change intervals, then you're shilling for the oil companies....

Old 04-16-2016, 12:09 PM
Received 2,266 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by Box
The most common recommendation for conventional non-synthetic is to change the oil every 3,000 miles or six months, whichever occurs first. It has been for decades. Severe service intervals (stop and go driving) for non extended-performance oils certainly fall in this category of service interval.
3000 miles/six months disappeared in the 70s.

It clearly says 10000 miles/16000 kms or annually in the S-type owner's manual. By today's standards that's pretty conservative. Jaguar does not give any time or mileage 'credit' for using synthetics. You've pulled your numbers out of the air, or somewhere else.

Last edited by Mikey; 04-16-2016 at 12:12 PM.
Old 04-16-2016, 12:15 PM
Box
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jon89
Anyone doing 3,000-mile conventional oil change intervals is throwing money right down the drain. All four of my vehicles run conventional oil, I change it every 6,000 to 7,500 miles along with the oil filter, and I've never had an engine failure in more than 46 years of driving....

If you're suggesting 3,000-mile change intervals, then you're shilling for the oil companies....
I'm not selling anything. Thank you though. Don't confuse conventional with synthetic intervals. This is what A1/B1 and A3/B4 is about. Conventional do not meet extended drain intervals. In fact, my XJ40 intervals (4L six) was conventional 3000 mile, 5000 mile with Mobile 1 or extended performance oils. (synthetic) This isn't rocket science folks. The recommended oil from Jaguar was synthetic. And the recommended intervals is with the recommended oil (synthetic) in mind.

Last edited by Box; 04-16-2016 at 12:18 PM.
Old 04-16-2016, 12:20 PM
Box
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mikey
3000 miles/six months disappeared in the 70s.

It clearly says 10000 miles/16000 kms or annually in the S-type owner's manual. By today's standards that's pretty conservative. Jaguar does not give any time or mileage 'credit' for using synthetics. You've pulled your numbers out of the air, or somewhere else.
Obviously you haven't spoken with a Jaguar Zone rep yet, and cannot remember your own post from yesterday that proves your own position erroneous about recommended oils, and Jaguar's own documents. Have fun on the floor. Your assertions is about as silly as saying 0w can be obtained by conventional oils.

From Castrol's website concerning change intervals for GTX: "We recommend for ultimate protection that you change your motor oil every 3,000 miles / 5,000 kms (or 3 months, whichever comes first)."

You're the one who asserted that if folks have problems with an engine, it was because the change intervals weren't often enough. Double speak from you again.

Last edited by Box; 04-16-2016 at 12:31 PM.
Old 04-16-2016, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Box
Obviously you haven't spoken with a Jaguar Zone rep yet, and cannot remember your own post from yesterday that proves your own position erroneous about recommended oils, and Jaguar's own documents. Have fun on the floor. Your assertions is about as silly as saying 0w can be obtained by conventional oils.
I did speak to Jaguar yesterday. You missed that. They confirmed each and ever one of my points.

Originally Posted by Box

From Castrol's website concerning change intervals for GTX: "We recommend for ultimate protection that you change your motor oil every 3,000 miles / 5,000 kms (or 3 months, whichever comes first)."
Castrol didn't design, manufacture and warrant the car- Jaguar did. That makes them top dog meaning their recommendation trumps all others. If you actually worked 'in the industry', you'd know that this how things work.

In speaking to Jaguar yesterday, it refreshed my memory of the 'free' maintenance that came with my car. They paid for oil and filter changes based on 16,000km/annual intervals. Not 5000km/6 months.

Why don't YOU call Jag and ask them why they got it so wrong?

Originally Posted by Box

You're the one who asserted that if folks have problems with an engine, it was because the change intervals weren't often enough. Double speak from you again.
Ummm, no. I said no such thing or anything similar. You've misquoted me and several others just in this one thread.

Old 04-16-2016, 01:17 PM
Box
Veteran Member

I did speak to Jaguar yesterday. You missed that. They confirmed each and ever one of my points.
Which post did you state that in? Whom did you speak with? Got a number?

Castrol didn't design, manufacture and warrant the car- Jaguar did. That makes them top dog meaning their recommendation trumps all others. If you actually worked 'in the industry', you'd know that this how things work.
You may be confused, Castrol makes GTX. It's their oil, they know how long to run it. Their EDGE products (synthetic) uses a much longer drain interval for example. Jaguar's recommendation of synthetics trumps your assertion. And any recommended weight by Jaguar for use of 0w-anything cannot be obtained by conventional stock anything, it is only possible with synthetic. Once again, trumped by your own logic.

In speaking to Jaguar yesterday, it refreshed my memory of the 'free' maintenance that came with my car. They paid for oil and filter changes based on 16,000km/annual intervals. Not 5000km/6 months.
And Jaguar's Zone rep name and number was what? Jaguar states under their "free" plan, "** Excludes additional maintenance that may be recommended should the vehicle have a high proportion of short journeys or operate in severe conditions." (this is called severe service by the manufacturers)

Frequent idling for long periods of time, such as stop-and-go driving in heavy traffic. Many vehicles are subjected to this condition twice a day in commuting to major cities, and/or Sustained highway driving in hot weather, such as vacation travel, and/or Towing a boat or trailer, carrying heavy objects on a rooftop rack, and/or Driving in dusty conditions, such as dirt or gravel roads, and/or Prolonged operation at sub-zero temperatures, and/or Driving on steep hills or mountains on a regular basis. This accounts for nearly 80% of all drivers. and should be using the severe service schedule. This is what the Zone rep will tell you.

Last edited by Box; 04-16-2016 at 04:13 PM.
Old 04-17-2016, 09:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,354 Likes on 928 Posts

Originally Posted by Box
Which post did you state that in? Whom did you speak with? Got a number
Man, you really should consider counseling.
It was a bit of fun at the beginning of this thread, but you are acting like an madman (I had an other word in mind ..) by now, sorry to say.

Old 04-17-2016, 11:19 AM
Received 181 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by ericjansen
It was a bit of fun at the beginning of this thread, but you are acting like an madman (I had an other word in mind ..)
That's personal, and I do not agree. Everything negative in this thread about superior synth oils has been based on "no evidence" or "lack of field data", and now telephone calls to unidentified Jag staff. Let's find out just who at Jag said those things.

plums (04-17-2016)
Old 04-17-2016, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Box
And Jaguar's Zone rep name and number was what? Jaguar states under their "free" plan, "** Excludes additional maintenance that may be recommended should the vehicle have a high proportion of short journeys or operate in severe conditions." (this is called severe service by the manufacturers)

Frequent idling for long periods of time, such as stop-and-go driving in heavy traffic. Many vehicles are subjected to this condition twice a day in commuting to major cities, and/or Sustained highway driving in hot weather, such as vacation travel, and/or Towing a boat or trailer, carrying heavy objects on a rooftop rack, and/or Driving in dusty conditions, such as dirt or gravel roads, and/or Prolonged operation at sub-zero temperatures, and/or Driving on steep hills or mountains on a regular basis. This accounts for nearly 80% of all drivers. and should be using the severe service schedule. This is what the Zone rep will tell you.
This subject was beaten to death also. As Jag has no known definition of severe service at least as anyone here could find, the Ford definition was used, being that they were the parent company at the time of manufacture.

According to Ford, the usage mentioned above does not qualify as severe service.

Let's assume that this analysis is incorrect and that 80% of drivers do indeed qualify as severe service users. There's no evidence that these owners were aware and changed their oil more frequently as a result. One would think that there would be a trend of engine problems as a result.

There isn't.

Old 04-17-2016, 12:13 PM
Box
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ericjansen
It was a bit of fun at the beginning of this thread, but you are acting like an madman (I had an other word in mind ..) by now, sorry to say.
Don't need counseling. But thank you. Educate yourself. If you have no experience at the manufacturer level, the dealer level, or are trained and certified as a technician in that field, then don't assert positions based on ignorance. There is no shortage of self-styled want-to-be experts when it comes to automotive service.

Old 04-17-2016, 12:20 PM
Box
Veteran Member

This subject was beaten to death also. As Jag has no known definition of severe service at least as anyone here could find, the Ford definition was used, being that they were the parent company at the time of manufacture.

According to Ford, the usage mentioned above does not qualify as severe service.

Let's assume that this analysis is incorrect and that 80% of drivers do indeed qualify as severe service users. There's no evidence that these owners were aware and changed their oil more frequently as a result. One would think that there would be a trend of engine problems as a result.

There isn't.
You're wrong on all points Mikey. Your assertion is pure fabricated bovine scatology. The only thing you are proving here, is just how unlearned to automotive service you really are. Please provide us with the name of the Zone rep and number you contacted for your information. Otherwise, I can only assume your claim is as fabricated as the remainder of your assertions here are. What you missed in the documentation from Jaguar concerning severe service, is that they openly state in the Passport that service intervals for severe service not extend past half of the recommended regular service interval. Using their recommended and preferred oil meeting WSS-M2C-913-B, which is synthetic 5w-30, that intervals not exceed 5000 miles. The definition specified on the Jaguar Maintenance Check Sheet defines severe service as "if the vehicle is subject to start/stop operation, extremes in temperature, dusty conditions, off road driving or frequent towing of trailers." Deal with it.

Maintenance Schedules | fleet.ford.com

I invite you to review the 2004 Lincoln LS (brother to the S) and not only view their severe service criteria, (which is exactly what I stated above) and then it will create the spreadsheet with the service required and it's mileage interval. Your assertion that, "3000 miles/six months disappeared in the 70s" is only your own ignorance to severe service schedules by automakers, as well as those who produce the lubricants.

Attached Thumbnails First Oil Change-ls.jpg  

Last edited by Box; 04-17-2016 at 03:51 PM.
Old 04-17-2016, 01:02 PM
Received 6,339 Likes on 5,524 Posts

This is all getting a bit tedious isn't it?
If there's nothing new to add I suggest we call it a day.

Old 04-17-2016, 01:13 PM

'a day'

Quick Reply: First Oil Change