S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Pics of my XJR...

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 08:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

Ditto to fabfive. I'm sure George will give the tire shop an ear-full. George, have them reimburse both the fee paid to them plus a new tire?

Old 01-30-2012, 09:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 507 Likes on 259 Posts

Talked to the tire shop...

Guy seemed understanding, and he was like oh if it was bent he sealed it... I'm like UM it shouldn't have been mounted, your bead sealer failed. AT SPEED.

Anyway, he was like I'm sure we can figure something out. He has to order a replacement tire, and it will be here tomorrow. I'm dropping the car off at 7am Weds to show him / have the tire put on the good wheel.

He better not try to give me a bill. But we shall see on Weds.

I'm debating investing in a set of 20" Sentas with tires or not.

Take care,

George

Old 01-30-2012, 10:31 AM
Veteran Member

Did ya check for an affordable salvaged wheel with Coventry West (Atlanta, GA.)?

Old 01-30-2012, 11:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by androulakis
Talked to the tire shop...

Guy seemed understanding, and he was like oh if it was bent he sealed it... I'm like UM it shouldn't have been mounted, your bead sealer failed. AT SPEED.

Anyway, he was like I'm sure we can figure something out. He has to order a replacement tire, and it will be here tomorrow. I'm dropping the car off at 7am Weds to show him / have the tire put on the good wheel.

He better not try to give me a bill. But we shall see on Weds.

I'm debating investing in a set of 20" Sentas with tires or not.

Take care,

George
I love the sentas and think it'd look great and OEM...Your down side is you won't have a matching spare but then again, they're staggered therefore the front would have to be the smaller front size anyways meaning it'd never "match" the back...

Old 01-30-2012, 12:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts

George,

Sounds like you need a better shop. REALLY BAD.

I have one up here that's really well known. They are heavily involved in all the Audi/BMW/Porsche club track events and one of the owners does race gigs for Pirelli at the Rolex etc. races.

This would NEVER happen to you at a shop like that. They also stand by everything they do so if "something" slips out of their doors they'll make you whole.

Their waiting room is one floor above the work area, all glass and you can see everything that's going on. I have no problem playing Mr. Insistent about something though I do try to be fair and not a complete A hole about things. I limit it to the 75% level, though opinions may vary on that percentage at times ...

It's a bit of a ways for you though.

Hang in there. Sh*t happens. So carry lots of TP ...

Bob

Originally Posted by androulakis
Well,

I've had nothing but wheel / tire drama since I got this car.

First the car had a nasty steering shake, which after looking at the tires while spinning on my balancer, I realize the car had a shifted belt on one of the Pirelli P6 tires. I put it on the back and the the wheel got rock solid, BUT the car still had a vibration through the chassis.

The spare tire also was torn up (had a sidewall tear).

So I took the car to my tire guy, and told him to replace the two rear tires. We agreed on Falken FK-452's. I told him to use the driver side rear rim, and the spare rim (which had a torn up pirelli on it), and to put the passenger side pirelli in the spare tire well.

All is well with that, and I get the car back Friday afternoon with the two new rear tires. It was smoother, but not as smooth as it should have been. I figured something else was up with the suspension.

SO Saturday evening I drive the car about 45 mins north, to go pick up my fiance and go to dinner. As we are driving, suddenly the car starts shaking violently. - Pull over, get out and I realize I just had a blowout on one of my brand new Falkens. WTF right? I didn't remember hitting anything notable, especially anything that would damage a tire.

I get the wheel off, and what do I see. The inside lip of the rim has a nasty bend in it, with bead sealer oozing out of the bend.

SO here is my theory. The previous owner hit something, bent the rim, and tore up the sidewall of the tire in the spare tire well. Replaced the bad wheel with the then good spare. When the tire shop went to mount the spare rim, there was the bend in it, and they struggled to to get the bead to seal due to the rim. Instead of calling me and telling me listen, this rim is bent bad, you probably shouldn't use it. (And I would have told him to dismount the other pirelli and use the good rim on the car), they just slathered bead sealer in there and got the tire to hold air.

SO 50 or so miles and a bit of aggressive driving later, the bead sealer fails. AND the tire immediately drops pressure, at speed on the Garden State Parkway. Thankfully we are both ok, and I had the Pirelli spare, and I brought the car home. Now.... I have a destroyed Falken tire I just paid $220 for, that should never have been mounted on that rim, because as we saw, all the bead sealer in the world didn't help, and it was a safety issue.

AND I have a bent rim as the spare. I'm going to call the tire shop and complain tomorrow, and at least try to get him to replace the brand new tire, with another on the good rim, so the car has two matched tires in the back.

I really didn't want to get into aftermarket wheels / tires on this car. BUT those senta 20" copies on ebay are looking more and more attractive after all this BS. Get ready for war at the tire shop if it comes down to it tomorrow.

Take care,

George

Last edited by Staatsof; 01-30-2012 at 12:31 PM.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:07 PM
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Nice, about time. I bet you are really glad you don't have the 3.0 anymore right? Hell of a car compared to that. One thing you should do is change the suspension, i bet it feels pretty floaty. I got to drive a friend of mine's '03 XJR and with 80k miles on it, did not feel good anymore.

Bent wheels are going to happen with how soft these are. I've replaced 2 rims already on my car from a seller in the UK on ebay named Dave Cooling. He owns a Jag dealer over there and they were brand new in the box for under $500..and he stocks all of the wheels for every car.

Old 01-31-2012, 07:42 AM
Veteran Member

I battle my restraint/discipline everyday with NOT getting the sentas clones...My next car, ideally at least 2-3 years from now with either be a XKR or XF and they should be able to bolt right on...

Old 01-31-2012, 07:55 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Bacardi 151
I battle my restraint/discipline everyday with NOT getting the sentas clones...My next car, ideally at least 2-3 years from now with either be a XKR or XF and they should be able to bolt right on...
They should bolt right on to an XJR right?

At least I think they make multiple offsets. For those of us who have less restraint / discipline that is...

Take care,

George

Old 01-31-2012, 02:34 PM
Veteran Member

Well,

I just got back from the tire shop.

After inspecting the rim, the guy got all righteous with me, claiming that his guy would have never done this and all this and that. You must have hit something. I'm like oh yeah? Then why are there 9 pounds of bead sealer coming out of the bend?? Why did you slather it in bead sealer at that spot IF there wasn't a bend there that was giving you a hard time getting the bead to seal??

SO after a few rounds of yes you did, no I didn't he's like look, you have a car here a week, I'll eat this one. (Acting like he was doing me a favor). He's like if you want we can fix that rim for you... I was like how much? He was like $100. (They do in house rim repair). I was like that's fine I can do that. Rim will be ready tomorrow, but I'm going to mark it and keep it as a spare.

So in the end, he's replacing the tire for free, and repairing the rim for $100 (which will have the good used pirelli mounted on it). I think that's fair even though his attitude was less than stellar. To be fair, I did leave him a pretty heated voicemail from the blowout scene Saturday night, to the point where last night my brother texted me and said I heard you made a stink at American Tire. I was like I just talked to the guy, I haven't been in there yet.

I guess all is well that ends well.

AND if I had known that this was the way things would have gone down, I would have never gotten the 19" tires, I would have just sprung for the 20's from the start.... Although I'm still very tempted.

Take care,

George

Old 01-31-2012, 03:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,369 Likes on 2,857 Posts

Hang in there, George. It wasn't pleasant, but you got what you wanted....

With the amount of business you bring your tire guy, he better remember where his bread is being buttered. Another episode like this, and I wouldn't blame you one bit for looking for a new tire guy....

Let us know how the XJR rides once you have enough experience with the second new tire. And give us your opinion on the wheel repair once that's done....

Now, just relax and enjoy the car....

Old 01-31-2012, 03:10 PM
Veteran Member

Moving on, cool.

Old 02-08-2012, 02:04 PM
Veteran Member

Buy those 20s yet?