S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flashing climate control 05 stype

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 08:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flashing climate control 05 stype

My climate control display flashes on and off rapidly at times. It seems to work fine whether it's flashing or behaving normally. Could this be a relay elsewhere or the module itself. Jtis only mentions the need for configuration of the module not remove and replace. Hopeful someone else has encountered this and/or might have a suggestion.

db

Old 10-13-2010, 08:25 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirk Bailey
My climate control display flashes on and off rapidly at times. It seems to work fine whether it's flashing or behaving normally. Could this be a relay elsewhere or the module itself. Jtis only mentions the need for configuration of the module not remove and replace. Hopeful someone else has encountered this and/or might have a suggestion.

db
Wow... Never thought I'd see someone else with this...

Mine did that just about a month ago.. Knowing how wacky the electronics can be.... Mine started flashing on the way to work so I drove straight to the dealer out of fear that it would go away and not repeat. The service guys came out and looked at it. Got a tech as well. The tech stated that it is a sign that the control module was on the verge of failure. They just replaced the control module under the Select Edition.
Hope that helps..

Old 10-13-2010, 11:40 AM

My 05 has no warranty left... any idea what that would have cost (part&labor)? It only happened that one time to you? Thanks for the reply I think I'm in the same boat unless someone has tried a DIY.

db

Old 11-17-2010, 11:45 PM

Same problem with my 03. I would love to know where to go with this? Everything works it is just so damn annoying Ya know! How do I get it to stop.

Old 11-18-2010, 12:08 AM

Just changed my DCCV and thermostat one week ago and since then no flashing! Since you said everything still works it seems we have the same issue. It may very well be we are/were watching our CCM in the first stages of failure. Too early for me to say, I'll feel much better if I still have no flashing after one month. But how old is your heater valve (DCCV)? If it's original I would think about changing it sooner than later. If my CCM were to quit completely there's an excellent repair by Justin67 look for his thread. Your right about one thing that flashing will drive you crazy. Good luck!

Old 11-22-2010, 09:35 PM

CCM flashing again. 12 days after changing out the DCCV the climate control module began flashing, so much for my hopeful preventive heater valve replacement. Seems my CCM problem is unrelated to the DCCV. So it would also stand to reason the DIY repair, which is due to a short in the CCM circuitry caused by a faulty DCCV is also unlikely to be the fix in my situation. Bummer.

Old 11-23-2010, 09:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,533 Likes on 3,942 Posts

Maybe the flashing is actually described by jag somewhere (don't know where, though, if not JTIS).
It MIGHT mean a comms error. It might also mean almost anything
Have you an elm327 (or far better AutoEnginuity)?

Old 11-23-2010, 09:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,369 Likes on 2,857 Posts

I agree with getting the codes read before you spend additional funds on parts that may or may not impact the actual fix required for your particular issue....

Old 11-23-2010, 12:12 PM
Veteran member

When mine did that there were no codes present. It was inspected by the dealer while doing it. The tech, not service advisor, said that the display will flash when it is nearing failure. When I mentioned the DCCV had been replaced they came back with that as the cause for the module. Remember, just like you, I have not had any climate control issues with either fault. At this point I would actually contact the dealer for, at least, a second opinion.

Old 11-23-2010, 12:45 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JOsworth
When mine did that there were no codes present. It was inspected by the dealer while doing it. The tech, not service advisor, said that the display will flash when it is nearing failure.
It knows it's nearing failure and can flash the display but doesn't bother to store a code?
I suppose it may even be true, but it sure sounds unlikely.

Old 11-24-2010, 04:49 AM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by jagv8
It knows it's nearing failure and can flash the display but doesn't bother to store a code?
I suppose it may even be true, but it sure sounds unlikely.
My assumption is that even a real good DIY scan tool is not going to pick up climate control issues. Now, probably the IDS system at the dealer can tell. My dealer didn't bother to hook my car up to anything since they were watching it do it as it idled at the service door. To them it was simple enough. Order a module and call me in to replace it. That's why I suggested at this point, even without a warranty, that Dirk visit the dealer for some help in diagnosis.

I have a "pretty basic" scanner that will read Jaguar specific codes but is not as good as the Autoenginuity scanner you've talked about. If it goes that deep, I may be tempted to get one myself. OK, It may... this link is worth a read...If our HVAC is part of the listed MCAN modules... But not sure...

http://www.autoenginuity.com/product...ware.html#EI11

Then there is the cost: http://www.autoenginuity.com/order.html

The base scan tool is 250 and the Jaguar add on is 230 for a total of $470 US. Plus a PC or laptop to run it.

Last edited by JOsworth; 11-24-2010 at 05:22 AM. Reason: Answered my own question
Old 11-24-2010, 07:01 AM
Veteran Member

AutoEnginuity will read the CCM and most other modules.
An elm327 will likely read the CCM if you know what commands to issue (data packets to send).

Using AE, last time I looked at the CCM I could see 26 values (as well as any actual DTCs):
Air Conditioning Driver Heater Sensor
Air Conditioning Passenger's Heater Sensor
Audible Tone Control
Battery Voltage
Blower Motor
Blower Motor Relay
Blower Motor Speed
Calculated External Temperature
Cold Air Bypass Servo Position Status
Control Module Status
Defrost Servo Position Status
Evaporator Air-off Temperature
Floor Servo Position Status
Heated Front Screen
Heated Rear Screen
Ignition Status
Interior Temperature
Left Interior Solar Sensor
Measured External Temperature
Number Of Permanent Diagnostic Trouble Codes
Number Of Trouble Codes Set By Diagnostic Tests
Panel Servo Position Status
Recirculation Servo Position Status
Relative Humidity Percentage
Right Interior Solar Sensor
Solar Sensor

Old 11-24-2010, 11:22 AM

Gentlemen,
I did take the Jag to an independent jag mechanic who hooked up his OBD (don't know which model) and said there were no codes. However, I am also certain he's not as well versed as you two as to what to look for. I will probably get it in to the dealer if my next and last attempt to DIY doesn't fix it. I ordered a CCM on Ebay for $60 and with that in hand I'll check the original board for obvious fried circuitry. Thought I'd check/clean the sensors at the same time. Feel comfortable with the early and preventative swap of the DCCV. It was during that I also discovered that cracked plastic connection near the thermostat that also needed replacing. I'm in this for the long haul and once I get this figured out my plan is to address the IMT o-rings, oil pan gasket and the fitting/sleeve in the trans. A Happy Thanksgiving to you and all! Do you Brits celebrate the same date as us?

Old 11-24-2010, 12:10 PM
Veteran Member

Gentlemen,
I did take the Jag to an independent jag mechanic who hooked up his OBD (don't know which model) and said there were no codes. However, I am also certain he's not as well versed as you two as to what to look for. I will probably get it in to the dealer if my next and last attempt to DIY doesn't fix it. I ordered a CCM on Ebay for $60 and with that in hand I'll check the original board for obvious fried circuitry. Thought I'd check/clean the sensors at the same time. Feel comfortable with the early and preventative swap of the DCCV. It was during that I also discovered that cracked plastic connection near the thermostat that also needed replacing. I'm in this for the long haul and once I get this figured out my plan is to address the IMT o-rings, oil pan gasket and the fitting/sleeve in the trans.
It'll be fixable, just a PITA till you find the culprit.
A Happy Thanksgiving to you and all! Do you Brits celebrate the same date as us?
Er... as in "giving thanks that those religious nutters sailed off"? (joke)
(no, we don't, but have a good one!)

Old 11-24-2010, 01:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

Dirk:
Just a bit more info. Does your car have navigation? If not then the CCM is what you need. If you have navigation then you need a RCCM (Remote Climate Control Module).

Old 11-24-2010, 02:50 PM

No nav so I'm once again hopeful the CCM is the culprit. I will be changing that out in a week or so and I'll keep you all informed as to my findings. If that doesn't do it I'll yield to the dealer. Thanks for the help.

Old 11-24-2010, 03:55 PM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by jagv8
Er... as in "giving thanks that those religious nutters sailed off"? (joke)
(no, we don't, but have a good one!)
That goes down as one of the best yet... I'm still laughing!

Old 11-24-2010, 04:25 PM
Veteran Member

I was afraid it was over the top!
Definitely no offence intended - I've loved being in the USA every time I've been

Old 11-24-2010, 07:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 21,288 Likes on 8,569 Posts

Originally Posted by JOsworth
That goes down as one of the best yet... I'm still laughing!

I agree...

Old 11-25-2010, 01:58 AM
Veteran Member

Phew!

Quick Reply: Flashing climate control 05 stype