S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flat Wiper blades replacing existing on S-Type

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 07:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Flat Wiper blades replacing existing on S-Type

I would like to replace the existing wiper blades on an S-Type 2005 3.0l V6 with the modern flat Aero type. I know others have done it with S-Types.

On this UK model the screen washers are on the blades themselves. I am not sure if all variants are built this way. Without taking them off I can't tell if the washer jets are detachable. I can't see any clips and they look like they are part of the blade itself but that may not be so.

Has anyone tackled this type and if you have can you offer advice of how to deal with the washer jets?

Many thanks in advance.

Old 03-22-2016, 11:28 PM
Received 2,636 Likes on 1,816 Posts

I believe the windscreen washers are on the wiper arm, not the blades on later MY vehicles. If you remove the blades from the arms, do the washer nozzles remain in place? If so, you can replace the blades with the aero-type as long as the vehicle can pass MOT.

Old 03-23-2016, 04:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 385 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by Gymnoss
I would like to replace the existing wiper blades on an S-Type 2005 3.0l V6 with the modern flat Aero type. I know others have done it with S-Types.

On this UK model the screen washers are on the blades themselves. I am not sure if all variants are built this way. Without taking them off I can't tell if the washer jets are detachable. I can't see any clips and they look like they are part of the blade itself but that may not be so.

Has anyone tackled this type and if you have can you offer advice of how to deal with the washer jets?

Many thanks in advance.
I have used flat aero blades for a few years on my Ford with no mot problems. I've found they last longer and work better than conventional wiper blades.
I've just bought a set for my 2002 S type on eBay from one of the motor factors.

I checked on eBay and they do sell jaguar aero wiper blades with washer jets in the blade.

I pay an average of £6 for a pair which last 18 months to 2 years. Metal wiper blades make no sense anymore.

Old 03-23-2016, 08:18 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 242 Likes on 209 Posts

>I believe the windscreen washers are on the wiper arm, not the blades on later MY vehicles.

Actually, I believe the washer jet clips onto the wiper blade itself. I replaced mine last summer and remember removing the hose then detaching the blade from the arm bringing the washer with it. The wiper blades for our cars have a special "cut-out" for the washer and are unique.

Unfortunately, I believe Trico 15-240 and 15-190 are the only ones that fit... :-(

And they are getting hard to find.

Has anybody tried replacing only the wiper insert? If we could do that and retain the metal blade structure that would provide us with an alternative.

==================================================
Jaguar: Grace, Pace, and Space - Sir William Lyons
Current Hers: '13 Lexus ES350
Current Mine: '08 Jaguar S-Type 4.2 "Satin Edition" (250.06 whp / 259.67 torque)
Past Ours: '05 X-Type 3.0/auto Jaguar Racing Green

Old 03-23-2016, 08:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,364 Likes on 2,854 Posts

I always replace ONLY the wiper blade inserts. The inserts must be "narrow" (meaning a claw width of 6mm, not the more common 8mm). The driver blade length is 24 inches and the passenger blade length is 19 inches....

While they are indeed becoming harder to find, I have always been able to order them through my local NAPA store. They never stock them, but they can usually get them for me by the next day or two. I usually order a couple of sets at a time, and that lasts me three to four years. The typical cost is $10 to $12 per set....

Old 03-23-2016, 08:53 AM
Received 2,636 Likes on 1,816 Posts

It is possible to just replace the rubber insert into the original blade. For the early cars, the part number is JLM20949.

Bear in mind that the metal wiper blade structure may become worn over time depending on use and should be replaced along with the rubber insert.

Old 03-23-2016, 09:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,366 Likes on 1,864 Posts

I also only change the insert too. But I have found they are different widths from passenger to drivers side. So I pull the wiper blade and take it to the parts counter so I can test fit them until I get one that fits.

Old 03-24-2016, 02:53 AM

Many thanks for all your various insights.

It seems the existing washers won't clip off and on for re-use. Knowing that is a great help. I am still keen to use Aero types so will look for those mentioned with the jets built in.

It might be possible to find some after-market clip-on jets to use with standard blades or to fix jets in the plastic apron in front of the wipers. Has anyone tried this approach?

Thanks again for all your help.

Old 03-24-2016, 08:32 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 242 Likes on 209 Posts

>It seems the existing washers won't clip off and on for re-use.

I'm confused..., that is exactly how my blades and washers are designed. The wiper blade has a narrow place right near the attachment point with the arm. The nozzle clips there.

The problem is that very few wiper blades are available with that narrow space where the nozzle clips.

Have you removed your wiper blade from the car and inspected it? If you do you will find that you can wiggle the nozzle loose since it's really just a slide on/off connection.

Anyway that is what I have found for a North American 2008 S-Type.
================================================== =
You dreamed of a big star -
He played a mean guitar -
He loved to drive his Jaguar...

So welcome to the machine

Old 05-17-2016, 02:51 PM
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

I just took my 07 blades off, opened up the narrower opening on the NAPA Trico wiper blades, swapped the OEM nozzle clip and the new blades's(which is narrower than the oem so needed spreading) pin is thinner diameter so the OEM nozzle clip will not clip on.

I'm hoping the arm pressure will keep it pressed tight to the screen at the possible expense of a scratch on my pristine 10k windshield.

Old 05-17-2016, 04:08 PM
Veteran Member

They are available.
Since reading the thread again I had a look on ebay uk and found some
flat aero wiper blades with washers for Jaguars.

A couple of examples I found:
Jaguar XJ Flat Wiper Blades Quality/ length.24"x19" With Washer Jets 2003on | eBay

S type 2003:
Jaguar S Type |2003-| Bosch Aerotwin Wiper Blades |Flat Style With Washer Jets| | eBay

For some reason ebay search is rubbish, but searching using Google shopping you can find them on ebay

Old 05-17-2016, 04:18 PM

I found many of the cheaper aero types seemed to have much thicker frames and I was doubtful that the existing clips would fit. I did find some a set of "BOSCH AEROTWIN WIPER BLADES AR608S" at just £21.33GB with built in jets. At that price for the pair, with jets built in and for genuine Bosch I went down that route.

I know some have managed to re-use the OEM jets on standard blades though. You can try using a secondary fix; perhaps another clip that fits in the nozzle clip and over the side of the central fame so locking the two?

The new Bosch set hug the screen and give a perfect wipe. If you can get a set at a similar discount I think it might be worth it.

The following users liked this post:
Busa (05-17-2016)
Old 05-17-2016, 04:22 PM

I managed to replace the new inserts from the complete blades I bought which did not mate up with the old washer clip. Bingo but have not run them yet. 6" of rain today in FL so I'll have ample opportunity.

Old 05-17-2016, 04:27 PM
Veteran Member

Yes the flat aero blades work a lot better than the OE metal frame wiper blades.
They update an older car's looks too.
I am fortunate to have bonnet washer jets so I bought a pair of aero wiper blades for about £7-00.
Thats more than I usually pay for a pair that last 2 years and only had to replace one when the flat wiper tip had a slight tear/cut.

I have in the past paid £30 each for good branded metal framed wiper blades and they dragged within weeks and needed replacing after 6 months. I was stitched up by an MOT test station.

Old 05-19-2016, 01:52 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I recently bought wiper refill inserts from RockAuto. These are the thin ones at 6mm and the RockAuto part numbers are Trico - 17240 and 17190. The total cost including shipping was $10.16

Old 05-19-2016, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Dennis Catone
I recently bought wiper refill inserts from RockAuto. These are the thin ones at 6mm and the RockAuto part numbers are Trico - 17240 and 17190. The total cost including shipping was $10.16
For next time around-I paid 24 for 2 total arms, had to toss the arms and wrestle getting the new inserts out but I was desperate-we got 11.24" rain 15 minutes later,,,!

https://weather.com/storms/severe/ne...lood-17may2016

Old 05-19-2016, 03:59 PM
Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

I just bought refills from the dealer very reasonable.

Old 05-21-2016, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by pab
>I believe the windscreen washers are on the wiper arm, not the blades on later MY vehicles.

Actually, I believe the washer jet clips onto the wiper blade itself. I replaced mine last summer and remember removing the hose then detaching the blade from the arm bringing the washer with it. The wiper blades for our cars have a special "cut-out" for the washer and are unique.

Unfortunately, I believe Trico 15-240 and 15-190 are the only ones that fit... :-(

And they are getting hard to find.

Has anybody tried replacing only the wiper insert? If we could do that and retain the metal blade structure that would provide us with an alternative.

==================================================
Jaguar: Grace, Pace, and Space - Sir William Lyons
Current Hers: '13 Lexus ES350
Current Mine: '08 Jaguar S-Type 4.2 "Satin Edition" (250.06 whp / 259.67 torque)
Past Ours: '05 X-Type 3.0/auto Jaguar Racing Green
I actually just did that because I didn't realize that the ones I got wouldn't have the attachment for the fluid, so I just took the rubber out and just bent out the metal with needle nose pliers so it would fit, took a little rigging but they work great, lol.I had a friend holding them while I jammed then in there so you might want an extra set of hands.

The following users liked this post:
jeffn (05-22-2016)
Old 05-22-2016, 12:38 PM

I tried to widen the space on the new trico blades they sold me as our OEM clips with the hose attachment is wider than the new Tricos. I spread them apart a bit but it was too much on a Johnson rod setup so I tossed the new blades and just used the inserts on my OEM blades.

And yes, our blades have some metal cutaway for the washer stream to run through to the winshieldscreen(my new Anglo-American term).

New inserts from now on only...