S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fog Lamps on 2000 S-Type

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 04:41 AM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Fog Lamps on 2000 S-Type

My [new to me] 2000 S-Type has both fog lamp lenses shattered. What's up with that?

These are heavy glass outer lenses and they are covered by clear plastic shields that have the Jaguar name printed in green on them. I noticed this because one lamp is out and I wanted to replace it. The outer glass lenses look like they may have suffered thermal shock. The strong condenser lenses farther back in the lamp housings are in good condition, but a bit dirty. Is this lens breakage a known problem?

Also, how do I get to the lamp to replace it? Owner's manual says see dealer...

Thanks,

Old 11-17-2012, 04:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,531 Likes on 3,941 Posts

I don't recall this being posted so it sounds rare but try Search or Advanced Search (lets you select just this forum).

How to if not in handbook try JTIS - both free via here.

Old 11-17-2012, 09:11 PM
Received 1,423 Likes on 1,066 Posts

If the fog lamp lenses are shattered (I've personally not heard of this happening too often) replacements are available used through Ebay or try www.amazon.com - the outer lenses could have cracked due to rock chips, etc...

Old 11-22-2012, 02:14 AM
Default Shattered Fog Lamp Lenses

I think I figured out how this happened. Not road debris; unlikely to shatter both lenses.

It looks like the front of the car was run onto a high curb flexing the lower part of the front end and pressure fracturing the lenses. There are heavy scratches on the underside of the front area below the fog lamps. What would you call this body panel? It is like an apron below a bumper, but this body style doesn't have what could be called a bumper.

I got this idea because I ran into a high curb myself on one side the other day and heard a scrape, then felt the underside with my hand and found the scratches on both sides. The curb I contacted was higher than normal, and at an unusual angle in a parking lot. I am used to driving an SUV with much higher ground clearance, so I'm going to be more careful and conscious from now on. It's going to take a little experience to judge this vehicle's relative position.

I might try to fabricate a pair of lenses from acrylic or polycarbonate to help protect the lamps from water, but it's not very important since I don't see myself using the fog lamps very often.

Any opinions on my diagnosis?

Old 11-22-2012, 02:05 PM
Received 1,423 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Originally Posted by dpasek
I think I figured out how this happened. Not road debris; unlikely to shatter both lenses.

It looks like the front of the car was run onto a high curb flexing the lower part of the front end and pressure fracturing the lenses. There are heavy scratches on the underside of the front area below the fog lamps. What would you call this body panel? It is like an apron below a bumper, but this body style doesn't have what could be called a bumper.

I got this idea because I ran into a high curb myself on one side the other day and heard a scrape, then felt the underside with my hand and found the scratches on both sides. The curb I contacted was higher than normal, and at an unusual angle in a parking lot. I am used to driving an SUV with much higher ground clearance, so I'm going to be more careful and conscious from now on. It's going to take a little experience to judge this vehicle's relative position.

I might try to fabricate a pair of lenses from acrylic or polycarbonate to help protect the lamps from water, but it's not very important since I don't see myself using the fog lamps very often.

Any opinions on my diagnosis?
I'm going to tackle this one for you:

1) Road debris over time could indeed crack the fog light lens but... if the lower front end hit a high curb - this could be the cause of your fog light woes.

2) The plastic panel below and attached to the front bumper cover is called a "lower front valiance panel" - they are hard to come by as many owners/repair shops toss them away when they tackle issues near the panel (DCCV, transmission flush, etc) Sounds like yours is still intact (scratches/scrapes are normal) - if any of the fasteners are loose, missing or broken off - reattach the lower valiance panel back to the front bumper cover accordingly. (get clips/screws from auto parts store or Lowes)

3) Forget about fabricating lens for the fog lamps - just source a used pair off the Jag parts suppliers or ebay... that would be my remedy to your issue with the fog lamps.

Old 11-23-2012, 03:36 AM

abonano, TY.