S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fog lamps keep blowing out

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 12:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Omega4, you are probably getting more information than you want! An old shop teacher of mine used to emphasize that when you have a chassis electrical problem, first check the grounds, and if that looks ok, check the grounds again. Certainly it is important to use a volt meter to quantify the problem and my bet is that you have a poor ground connection.

Old 10-22-2009, 05:28 PM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by danielsatur
Hey guys!

I'am not absolutely sure, if these Fog lights are Halogen type bulbs?
This guestion was sortof asked on the 1st & 3rd post, mine work, my alldata.com expired.

How long does it take to change a halogen light bulb?
How many people does it take to change a light bulb?
How much does it cost is Ask a professional online about ''Mishandle halogen lights'' ?
LOL - I haven't seen fog in 20years.

Let's blame it on the COWL, and close this thread.
Search forum tool cowl, not thread.

I have replaced three halogen light bulbs on a motor cycle in one season, I thought, it from popping wheelies. Ouch! $60

Between Tweeter,Face book,Tst Mgs,E-mail, and phones, it's amazes me, who knows all the rules these days?
Stop dwelling on the same thing..... PLEASE!
Your the one that is clogging this thing up!

Old 10-22-2009, 07:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Given that the Fog lights are at the bottom of the front grill, the problem may be cause by water shorting them out or by a pinched wire shorting them out.

I would check the back of the sockets. I have a 2001 Eclipse that burned out the headlight at least 3 or 4 time per year. I found that the connector was weak and the plastic would burn out and short out the bulb.

I would also trace the wiring from the fog light and make sure there's no cuts in the wire that could short out.

Old 10-22-2009, 07:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

its a voltage issue. You need to do the measurements. We can do it for you here, online. Either remove the bulbs and dont use them ever again, or you will need to investigate the issue. Unfortunately there are some around here that would rather wait for the solution to appear out of no where then to investigate it. You caould always hop on over to daniels beloved forum and ask there....but all your going to get is "you touched the bulb".

Call it too much info, but i assume that the basics are already covered. and one of those basics is not touching the bulbs. Although daniel will still blame it on that though, and link you to another forum so he can see himself talk/type.

Old 10-22-2009, 08:26 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

Daniel, I am now implementing another forum being applied to you:

- You may no longer restate what you have already typed in any thread, unless specifically asked by someone for clarification. Please comply.

Old 10-23-2009, 04:20 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by h20boy
Daniel, I am now implementing another forum being applied to you:

- You may no longer restate what you have already typed in any thread, unless specifically asked by someone for clarification. Please comply.
Wooo Hoooo, get out the party hats!

H2O.... I promise to comply as well....unless asked to explain, I will only state it once.....Oh, yea I think I already do that....

Old 10-23-2009, 08:36 AM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Sorry to interject, new member here, but not new to cars or electricity. A 'short' will not cause a lamp filament to burn out, nor will a bad switch or relay.

Assuming that the shop is fitting decent quality parts and are not touching the 'glass' with bare hands, the most probable cause would be over voltage. Having said that there would be many other components affected which does not seem to be the case.

Have you measured system voltage with the engine running? This can be done via the cigarette lighter socket.

Old 10-26-2009, 02:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey
Sorry to interject, new member here, but not new to cars or electricity. A 'short' will not cause a lamp filament to burn out, nor will a bad switch or relay.

Assuming that the shop is fitting decent quality parts and are not touching the 'glass' with bare hands, the most probable cause would be over voltage. Having said that there would be many other components affected which does not seem to be the case.

Have you measured system voltage with the engine running? This can be done via the cigarette lighter socket.
hmmmmm another person suspects voltage...........interesting isnt it?

Old 10-26-2009, 03:55 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

Originally Posted by danielsatur
If bulb's or fuse were not burt, I would of suspected a bad relay.

A relay is like a switch, that uses a small electrical signal to trigger a large current device like fog lights,they
can get stuck, and provide no battery to the fog lights.

A Fog light = RELAY,12Volts,switch,bulb, or a fuse!

Sorry Omega4, Theres some members, that ambush other members for what ever reason.
Thanks for the E-mails & feed back, we can be friends,BS,and tell each other stories.

Yep! Google ''Troubleshoot jaguar fog lights''
I cannot believe you keep doing this. You have a PM, please read it.

Old 10-27-2009, 06:09 PM
Received 6,322 Likes on 5,509 Posts

Try touching a hot one next time and see what burns.