S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford Engines and Jaguar's AJ-V8 Head Exhaust Ports...

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 04:10 PM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up Ford Engines and Jaguar's AJ-V8 Head Exhaust Ports...

I’m just curious to know... How close in design/shape and distance is for the Head Exhaust ports for the Ford Mustangs and Our AJ-V8 engines?

Does anyone have this info??? Maybe we could use some Mustang’s aftermarket long tube headers??? That’s at least 40whp on the Jag STR I bet. It was 35 whp on my Fiero NA Northstar…

Thanks,
JG

Old 11-02-2010, 04:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,533 Likes on 3,942 Posts

why would they be the same or similar???

Old 11-02-2010, 05:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

The lincoln LS is closer fit.

Old 11-02-2010, 05:17 PM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Mafioso
The lincoln LS is closer fit.
Yes, because the LS 3.9 is just a lower displacement Jaguar AJ V8. The LS and Thunderbird were the only Ford vehicles that got to use the AJ, that I know of, since they shared a platform with the S Type. I'm sure it was a heck of a lot cheaper to just drop in the Jag motor vs setting up the Ford products for the Ford V8. BTW, the Jaguar motor and Ford's V8's are not related.. The V6's used in Jaguar products, now that's another story...

Old 11-02-2010, 08:33 PM
Veteran Member

One way to clear a hurdle is to get exhaust gaskets from both and compare. Then you have to worry about space to fit them. The engine lives in pretty close quarters to the firewalls

Old 11-02-2010, 08:41 PM
Thumbs up

One way to clear a hurdle is to get exhaust gaskets from both and compare. Then you have to worry about space to fit them. The engine lives in pretty close quarters to the firewalls

Yes indeed this will be the way for sure, and I’m not saying they're the same, but maybe...???

I think there is a forum member who took his engine apart, I'll ask him..

JG

Old 11-02-2010, 08:43 PM
Veteran Member

Look for an old thread I'm posting off my iPhone, but there was a member who bought ls v8 headers but due to personal reasons he never completed the project

Old 11-02-2010, 09:37 PM
Question

Look for an old thread I'm posting off my iPhone, but there was a member who bought ls v8 headers but due to personal reasons he never completed the project
Thank you Mafioso. Do you know if they were stock ones or aftermarket? My Brother does owned an ISF, but I think it will be too hard to try to see those. His car has been lowered...

Old 11-02-2010, 09:42 PM
Veteran Member

Oops not IS LS sorry about that look for a thread labeled stainless steel headers if I recall correctly

Old 11-03-2010, 07:25 PM
Wink

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...+steel+headers

I found it, and too bad that guy couldn’t installed them in his car... Well, now I know where and how to find them. BTW I will try this later, for now I have to Fix my coolant leak under the SC, while in there I will port it and install the smaller pulley...

=)

Old 11-03-2010, 08:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

Chris of Mina Galleries is very familiar with the Jaguar 4.2 He said headers along with their high initial cost, would also be costly and difficult to fit. Chris also said the exhaust manifolds are adequate, describing them as having generously sized ports, short, and down sloping. He felt the stock cats are the main restricition to be addressed in the exhaust/power equation. Installed on my 03 STR are: Magnaflow hi-flo cats and x-pipe, 2 1/2" pipe, a pair of 12" Dynomax glass packed resonators (2 1/2" core, and inlet and outlet) leading to a pair of Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers. Though I loved the Magnaflow's almost intoxicating rap (I attribute a 108 MPH speeding ticket to them), gained back was the low end torque lost with the flow through mufflers and a quieter 85 mile round trip commuter. IMO the exhaust note is perfect; relatively quiet resonance free cabin, and the exterior rap is deep and authoritive...not too low...not too loud...50% blower whine...50% exhaust rap. IMO, this exhaust layout serves as a very good foundation for the car's 1.5 pulley, low temp. thermostat., etc.

Last edited by bfsgross; 11-03-2010 at 08:22 PM.
Old 11-04-2010, 01:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by JOsworth
Yes, because the LS 3.9 is just a lower displacement Jaguar AJ V8. The LS and Thunderbird were the only Ford vehicles that got to use the AJ, that I know of, since they shared a platform with the S Type. I'm sure it was a heck of a lot cheaper to just drop in the Jag motor vs setting up the Ford products for the Ford V8. BTW, the Jaguar motor and Ford's V8's are not related.. The V6's used in Jaguar products, now that's another story...
The LS and S-Type 4.0 motors are exactly the same. 3978cc if I remember correctly. Lincoln Just labeled it as a 3.9 and Jaguar as a 4.0. Partly because of the existing 4.0 straight 6's in older Jags, as well as partly to differentiate (aka hide), the ford relation to Jag.

The 2.5 and 3.0's are straight ford duratec v6's with different intake manifolds, and VVT. I think the LS also switched to the 4.2 motor, but never got the blower. Which would have been interesting = A modern day Lincoln LSC or maybe Mark VIIII? For those of us old enough to remember those cars.

George

Old 11-04-2010, 03:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,382 Likes on 1,878 Posts

The Lincoln LS used the 3.9L all the way. All 2000-2006 V-8's are 3.9L. We did get VVT in a simplified form on the intake cam only with the LS 2003 update. The Jaguar VVT is continuous but the Lincoln version can only adjust in a limited number of steps. That's one reason I got a 2003 LS. Also gave a bump in power from 252 HP to 286 HP.

Old 11-04-2010, 04:16 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by clubairth1
The Lincoln LS used the 3.9L all the way. All 2000-2006 V-8's are 3.9L. We did get VVT in a simplified form on the intake cam only with the LS 2003 update. The Jaguar VVT is continuous but the Lincoln version can only adjust in a limited number of steps. That's one reason I got a 2003 LS. Also gave a bump in power from 252 HP to 286 HP.
Oh ok... Maybe production was doomed for the LS By then so they didn't bother.

How does the rest of that car hold up? - I suspect the mechanical issues - DCCV's, Leaks etc to be about the same. But I'm wondering about the rest. Did the 03+ LS get the same suspension updates as the S-type?

George

Old 11-04-2010, 04:59 PM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by androulakis
Oh ok... Maybe production was doomed for the LS By then so they didn't bother.

How does the rest of that car hold up? - I suspect the mechanical issues - DCCV's, Leaks etc to be about the same. But I'm wondering about the rest. Did the 03+ LS get the same suspension updates as the S-type?

George
Yes and no....They updated the 03 Lincoln but at that time the powers at Ford gave Jaguar the authorization to go ahead and further separate the S from the LS. So while they were both updated (electronic parking brake for both) many parts in the Jag became Jag only... Or only shared with other Jags (why the dash changed but not much else in the interior).

And yes, the v6's used are Ford with Jaguar specified intakes / heads. The motors were sourced from Cleveland Ohio, BTW.. So, my engine sailed from Cleveland to the UK and back again...Only with a car attached on the return trip.. LOL..

Old 11-04-2010, 05:08 PM
Veteran Member

Yes and no....They updated the 03 Lincoln but at that time the powers at Ford gave Jaguar the authorization to go ahead and further separate the S from the LS. So while they were both updated (electronic parking brake for both) many parts in the Jag became Jag only... Or only shared with other Jags (why the dash changed but not much else in the interior).

And yes, the v6's used are Ford with Jaguar specified intakes / heads. The motors were sourced from Cleveland Ohio, BTW.. So, my engine sailed from Cleveland to the UK and back again...Only with a car attached on the return trip.. LOL..
That's interesting... Yeah our S-types share the "corporate" center stack / dash pieces. I don't know if the Clusters are interchangeable between an S and X type (I should check) but they definitely look damn close.

As far as the Motors, talk about a logistical nightmare... Does the Earlier S-type share much inside with the LS? I didn't think it did.

Oh and in case you're bored... I wonder if this can be adapted to a Jag 3.0

http://www.3lduratec.com/supercharger.html

S-Type R Junior anyone?

George

Old 11-04-2010, 05:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,533 Likes on 3,942 Posts

Cheaper to sell the car, add the $$$, and buy an STR

Fun idea, though!

Old 11-04-2010, 08:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,382 Likes on 1,878 Posts

PHP Code:
Oh ok... Maybe production was doomed for the LS By then so they didn't bother. 

How does the rest of that car hold up? - I suspect the mechanical issues    - DCCV'
sLeaks etc to be about the sameBut I'm wondering about the    rest. Did the 03+ LS get the same suspension updates as the S-type? 
The 2003+ LS got a suspension upgrade but not the nice Jaguar double ball joint front end. Also no 6 speed ZF for the LS. But A/C seats which should have been on our S Types! The front fenders, hood and trunk lid were all aluminum. I like the Ford Home Link better than the sunroof console buttons the jag uses for the garage door openers.

Very similar problems. DCCV almost 100% if you own the car long enough. COPs, Amazingly Ford extended the warranty of the coils, gaskets and spark plugs to 100K miles free of charge! They really had a lot of COP troubles compared to the Jag. Valve cover gaskets leaking, Transmission solenoid problems, Front sway bar bushings and end links causing clunks over bumps. Same P/S additive for steering rack noise. Window regulators front and rear. Headliner detaching from the Velco fasteners and drooping in the back. Moon-roof leaks because the rubber drain hoses shrink with age and pulls off inside the headliner filling up the map pockets in the front door panels when it rains. Much like the S Type the GEN II LS is a superior car but does not look very much different. Sadly in 2004 Ford started to decontent the LS and many standard items became options or were dropped altogether. I found the 2003 model to be in the sweet spot.

I have been very impressed with the car and got the first 4 wheel alignment done at 82K miles and nothing was worn out on the original suspension! Still is nowhere near as solid as the Jag. Lots of plastic squeaks and groans at 82K compared to my STR at 61K which is still almost silent. But I am trying to track down a small rattle in the rear passenger seat area!

Last edited by clubairth1; 11-04-2010 at 08:25 PM.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:35 AM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by androulakis
That's interesting... Yeah our S-types share the "corporate" center stack / dash pieces. I don't know if the Clusters are interchangeable between an S and X type (I should check) but they definitely look damn close.

As far as the Motors, talk about a logistical nightmare... Does the Earlier S-type share much inside with the LS? I didn't think it did.

Oh and in case you're bored... I wonder if this can be adapted to a Jag 3.0

http://www.3lduratec.com/supercharger.html

S-Type R Junior anyone?

George
The clusters aren't interchangeable despite looking the same... The X-type also has a different climate control system (no dual zone).

Actually someone posted a thread a while back about adapting a twin turbo set up that he had done for the LS v6.

The early S Type used Ford sourced audio and climate control systems.
So, in all actuality, that is why the dash changed so much in 03.

Old 11-05-2010, 07:52 AM
Veteran Member

The clusters aren't interchangeable despite looking the same... The X-type also has a different climate control system (no dual zone).

Actually someone posted a thread a while back about adapting a twin turbo set up that he had done for the LS v6.

The early S Type used Ford sourced audio and climate control systems.
So, in all actuality, that is why the dash changed so much in 03.
Yeah My X-type didnt have dual zone climate control, but it's definitely part of the Jaguar corporate family. Same radio as my S etc...

I wonder what happened with the guy with the faulty S-Type climate control who was going to use one out of an XJ... (As far as it working or not).

I know about the Ford Issue Radio and CC in the early S's.

More info on said Twin Turbo setup??

George

Quick Reply: Ford Engines and Jaguar's AJ-V8 Head Exhaust Ports...