S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Bumper Cover Re-spray

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 08:58 PM
Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Front Bumper Cover Re-spray

I have had it with my hywy rock chips, and marks on my BLACK front bumper cover, freaking black!!! I want to get it resprayed and want to know what everyone thought would be a reasonable price for an auto body place to do it. I am going to start shopping around, and stopping by a few places to get quotes, but i want a little ammo for negotiating. Granted they are going to have to fill and sand the multiple chips, I also have some peeling going on. I talked to one guy today and he said that if its in bad shape it may need to be completely stripped, which obviously would be alot more $$$. What are people experiences and opinions on a fair price.

Also, should I insist that they use genuine Jag paint or do most autobody places mix their own paint?

Old 07-27-2009, 09:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

I would recommend using Jaguar paint because of the matching issue. My guess is that they will have to spray the black base coat and then a clear coat on top of it. Just hazarding a guess about $200-300 if not much prep work is required.

Mike

Old 07-27-2009, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by carelm
I would recommend using Jaguar paint because of the matching issue. My guess is that they will have to spray the black base coat and then a clear coat on top of it. Just hazarding a guess about $200-300 if not much prep work is required.

Mike
Including the paint or no? In what kind of scenerios would it need to be stripped completely? I am assuming that they will need to fill the chips and such, sand, base coat and clear coat. $2-$300 seems pretty cheap..but that would be great if that were the case.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:14 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Bull27,

My WAG estimate has paint included. I'm assuming no rock gouges in the bumper cover. If it's just a matter of sanding out the chips and whatnot, they should be able to spray over the prepared paint. I got my estimate based on some conversations with a Jaguar car salesman who said his shop could re-spray the back cover of an X-Type for around $200 when I was shopping for a car. I would consider the sources (me and the salesman) though

Mike

Old 07-27-2009, 10:29 PM

Ha ha, well unfortunately I think there might be some more things going on with my bumper cover than just innocent paint chips, I just may have some "rock gouges" present :-) Basically its just a mess, I have some peeling going on, paint chips, small rock gouges etc. There will definately need to be some filling before the sanding going on.

Old 07-28-2009, 12:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull27
Ha ha, well unfortunately I think there might be some more things going on with my bumper cover than just innocent paint chips, I just may have some "rock gouges" present :-) Basically its just a mess, I have some peeling going on, paint chips, small rock gouges etc. There will definately need to be some filling before the sanding going on.
It's your following distance. I know down here in florida the roads are covered with gravel from what seems to be non-stop construction. If you follow any closer than 50ft your bumper gets sprayed with rocks. The car in front of you kicks them up and you drive straight into them. Oh and driving even 100ft away from a dump truck you still hit tons of rocks.

For a cheap bumper spray craigslist is a good place to start. I would purchase the paint and primer yourself. If the shop uses a generic primer the paint won't stick. I restore classic cars and I have had a few shops do that to me and I learned my lesson the hard way. Down here we have mobile body shops that will come to your house and spray your bumpers and even do minor body work. Bumper usually start at around $99 each, but that changes from city to city.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,369 Likes on 2,857 Posts

Road chips are one thing, but peeling paint is another animal entirely. Regardless of the cost, I don't think you'll be happy with the results unless you strip everything off and rebuild the finish from the bare surface up....

Old 07-28-2009, 02:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a quote of $700 to fill, sand and completely re-spray my front bumper using Jaguar Paint from an premier independent body shop... but this IS in California AND I haven't shopped around yet.

Old 07-28-2009, 02:08 PM
Veteran Member

Well, you could try Herculiner, but be VERY, VERY careful.

Mike

Old 07-28-2009, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Jon89
Road chips are one thing, but peeling paint is another animal entirely. Regardless of the cost, I don't think you'll be happy with the results unless you strip everything off and rebuild the finish from the bare surface up....
I agree. I think it was resprayed before.....poorly. That is why I am getting some peeling, unless this was a crappy factory paint job. So I will probably be looking at a couple hundo extra for the stripping I suppose?

White STR...I am aware of driving distances and how it relates to road pebbles and sand/salt (from winter) finding my bumper cover. I am a stay back 2 mississippi guy, and NEVER get behind tractor trailers. Your lucky you dont have snow, the salt is a B*tch. Oh and I cant remove the bumber cover, nor prime it myself...I live in a condo in Boston.

Old 07-29-2009, 06:27 PM

I was quoted $225.00 last Friday for this exact issue at a local discount paint shop.

Old 07-31-2009, 08:55 AM
Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Texan
I was quoted $225.00 last Friday for this exact issue at a local discount paint shop.
I really need this too. But I need the engine to run right first! Once it is running without the 'stutter' I will be paying more attention to how she looks.

What local discount paint shop did you go to? Just a no-name place? Let us know how it looks when you are finished.

I have clear-coat pealing on the back-end too, so I may need to do the whole car... of just look at her from 15-20 ft!

Old 07-31-2009, 11:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by carelm
Well, you could try Herculiner, but be VERY, VERY careful.

Mike

Hey! It's only a couple weeks until "Happy Hootus Day"!

Old 08-01-2009, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by BugDoc
I really need this too. But I need the engine to run right first! Once it is running without the 'stutter' I will be paying more attention to how she looks.

What local discount paint shop did you go to? Just a no-name place? Let us know how it looks when you are finished.

I have clear-coat pealing on the back-end too, so I may need to do the whole car... of just look at her from 15-20 ft!
It's a one off local shop. The guy is a very liberal thinker (hippie-type) but to his credit, he is not hypocritial actually lives by what he preaches. He does nice work and is inexpensive but he is slow to get to the work.

I may not get it done. I have the vehicle for sale and I have a couple of promising buyers. One is a full price offer. If it is still around next weekend, I may move forward with the paint to help it sell.

Old 08-01-2009, 06:48 PM
Default respray

my paintless repair guy does a complete respray and clearcoat for 150.00. does a fantastic job too. look up a paintless dent removal company. there usually cheaper, and they do a great job.

Old 08-03-2009, 04:38 PM

Went to the guy that did my wife's Saab today, he did a nice job on hers. He quoted me $300, said it is mostly prep work in my case. It was resprayed before, poorly, so he is going to have to strip/sand down the whole thing. He also said he could match my Ebony paint perfectly....little skeptical about not using Jag paint. However, I'm going to pull the trigger and have him do it up next Tuesday. Im sick of staring at rock chips.......

Old 08-03-2009, 04:50 PM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

If he's good it won't matter if the paint comes from Jag or not. Bumpers are ALL about prep and additives. Hell, if he can get a perfect match on the paint he's done a better job than Jag. My bumper is a tad off from the rest of the car. So is the rear that was fixed by the dealer. I had my Honda repaired at a good body shop. The front was so good, I had him paint the rear as well since Honda also suffers from the "bumpers don't match" syndrome.