S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front fenderr liners being ground away.

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2023 | 06:22 AM
|
Veteran Member
Default Front fenderr liners being ground away.

So yesterday I got new tires and while it was up on the lift I took the time see what was what while all 4 wheels were off. rubber suspension boots are a mess and strangely much worse than when I parked it over 4 years ago.
But the biggest thing I noticed was that my front fender liners are cracked at the rear and at the front where that sort of mud flap piece hangs down it's being very quickly ground down to nothing presumably by rubbing with the tires.
The rubbing is all very new looking. I've had those liners on & off plenty of times and I don't remember ever seeing this?

Old 10-11-2023 | 09:36 PM
jya

You need to check that every single plastic clip, plastic nut and screws with broad washers are in place. Plus make sure all of the plastic liner is well tucked in behind the fender/wing/mudguard lip. This ensures its sitting correctly. Otherwise you will have the wheel rubbing.

The following users liked this post:
Staatsof (10-12-2023)
Old 10-12-2023 | 06:06 AM
Veteran Member

And to fix the damage on those liners I recommend to remove the damaged one(s) and first "tack" the liner into the correct position at selected points with heat-glue (black) and then smear black roof and gutter silicone over the cracked bit to connect it again. Then put dishwashing liquid onto your finger and smoothen up the surface of the freshly applied silicone and let it dry for more than a day.

Staatsof (10-12-2023)
Old 10-12-2023 | 08:46 AM
|
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jya
You need to check that every single plastic clip, plastic nut and screws with broad washers are in place. Plus make sure all of the plastic liner is well tucked in behind the fender/wing/mudguard lip. This ensures its sitting correctly. Otherwise you will have the wheel rubbing.
Well my recent under the SC did involve putting the belly pans and front spoiler piece back on. I know he removed the LH liner to install a new fuel filter. I don't know if he removed the RH liner but he may have needed to do that to get the EGR valve and pipe to the exhaust manifold off.

I am no longer able to do this sort of work so I will need to take the car back and have him look into it.

What I noticed yesterday is that the "flaps" bend very easily to a 90 degree bend. Now I have had a couple of high speed spurts in the last two weeks. "testing out the tune of the engine"
When I push it into that position it's not touching the tire but ... if the wheel moved up and down like with a bump then it might touch & rub. Combine that with the assemblies possibly also not being fully secured then it might account for this as a 125mph air flow IS pretty hefty. I did several sprints to 100 mph as well.

So I found the parts # by searching through Jagbits and then I went on https://parts.jaguarlandroverclassic.com and eventually it let me put in the part number. A very buggy website, you have to trick it into allowing you to enter a part number. Sheesh!
But all I get is the picture that identifies parts and not an active webpage that will allow me to select other parts. I couldn't find the webpage which from top down would let me do this!

Here are the two pages with the parts on them:

https://parts.jaguarlandroverclassic...rch-liner.html
https://parts.jaguarlandroverclassic...rch-liner.html
If anyone knows how to navigate from these pages back to the main page they belong to please tell me how.

Does anyone know which page it's on? Oh and BTW please don't talk about the app on here for looking up part numbers. I've tried to install that 3 times now and the last time I got so much internet junk loaded on my computer that it took 2 weeks to clean it out.

The official website is a POC but it is safe and I have ordered and received something but due to the terrible diagrams I ordered the wrong thing. But at least it doesn't screw my computer up.

Last edited by Staatsof; 10-12-2023 at 09:01 AM.
Old 10-13-2023 | 12:58 AM
The following 2 users liked this post by neilr:
kr98664 (10-13-2023), Staatsof (10-13-2023)
Old 10-13-2023 | 10:36 AM
|
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jya
Originally Posted by neilr
Thanks for that. I looked through all of those menus so many times and never saw that. I wish they would let you search for things by name but it doesn't work. Argh!

Old 10-13-2023 | 11:29 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Staatsof
I wish they would let you search for things by name but it doesn't work. Argh!
Things like this work (in duckduckgo / google):
Wheelarch Liner Jaguar S-type site:https://parts.jaguarlandroverclassic.com

If that's not what you wanted please explain.

Old 10-13-2023 | 02:20 PM

Which tyres did you end up buying in the end ?

Old 10-14-2023 | 08:11 AM
|
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagV8
Things like this work (in duckduckgo / google):
Wheelarch Liner Jaguar S-type site:https://parts.jaguarlandroverclassic.com

If that's not what you wanted please explain.
I'm sorry but I'm old school. The apps I built worked properly and weren't full of bugs or require work arounds.
And those searches aren't always reliable anyway.
The search on Ebay is far better but that is dependent upon that part being up for sale and ebay listings don't always give you a part #. That's how I got to the lowest level page which doesn't allow you to select other parts in the diagram. But if they had a link embedded in the page that took you one level higher that would be most helpful. It's there if you come from top down but not from bottom up. Not well designed IMHO.

Last edited by Staatsof; 10-14-2023 at 08:19 AM.
Old 10-14-2023 | 08:30 AM
|
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Robinus
Which tyres did you end up buying in the end ?
Similar to what was on there but very old and weathered except I switched from extreme performance summer to all season. I'm not going to be driving this in the snow but I'm also not going to be trying to drive it like a sports car. As much of a bump as I got from the smaller SC pulley there are so many cars out there now, even lower priced ones, that faster of almost as fast and their lighter than this 4,000 lb porker. It's getting comfortable GT duty on nice weekend outings and vacations.

Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 Plus

Ultra High Performance All-Season

Old 10-21-2023 | 12:45 PM
|
Veteran Member

This is the flap that hangs down on each side and the bottom edge is being ground away towards the rear.

Old 10-21-2023 | 03:43 PM
Veteran Member

Yes those are sometimes called "Areo-Tabs". They are in front of the rear tires too but small. The idea is to push some air out of the way instead of letting it hit the spinning tire. Small aerodynamic device.

You can get very cheap wheel well liners on Ebay for maybe $40 each? Be worth a shot. Since they are reproduction I can't tell if they have the tab or not in the pictures? They do show the tab in some of the other pictures!
S Type Wheel Well Liners

Heck go all out and get a pair for less than $100!

Staatsof (10-24-2023)
Old 10-22-2023 | 11:04 AM
|
Veteran Member

My problem is figuring out why they're being chewed up and on the back side. This recently appeared after an extensive service so I'm trying to get an appointment.

Old 10-23-2023 | 10:37 AM
Veteran Member

Well I replaced both front fender liners when I had my old 2005 STR. Time and use do tear up those tabs and when I found out how cheap the replacement liners were I just replaced them. But I also had them get damaged and ground down. Apparently before I owned the car too.

Old 10-24-2023 | 10:07 AM
|
Veteran Member

You're not listening carefully enough to what I'm saying.
This isn't an overtime issue. It's sudden and extreme.
Just how does one grind off the backside of those flaps suddenly and simultaneously?

I have had all of these pieces off of the car several years ago when I dealt with oil cooler hose leakages, transmission cooler hose leakages and those lovely , very difficult HID headlights. So I'm very familiar with how all of this gets assembled but my memory isn't as good as used to be. That was 5+ years ago. I did't have any wear like this after those services.

I'm still waiting for an opening on one of his lifts.

Until then I'm baffled to see how the tires are grinding them down.

Old 10-26-2023 | 01:12 PM
|
Veteran Member

Well I have my answer. Both flaps are horizontally cracked so they bend quite easily and must indeed be orienting so that at 100-125mph they bump into the tires and even worse if the wheels are turning.

New liners time. I worry that the reproduction ones on eBay are thin not so strong stuff.

Old 10-27-2023 | 02:46 PM
Veteran Member

They are. Not near as good plastic. But I must say mine worked just fine for the rest of the time I had the car?
So maybe they are good enough?

Old 10-28-2023 | 01:17 PM
|
Veteran Member

So ... thinking a bit more about this ... It looks like I must have caught these flaps on something backing up and that's what snapped them.
It will probably happen again given where I live.
If I reinforce them then it's going to pull on the entire front assembly more ... not good.

So why not just cut them off and forget about it all?
Or I could make the flaps so that they just fold forward but not backwards.