S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front indicator bulb wiring?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2018, 12:59 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Front indicator bulb wiring?

I have a 2005 3.0 s type and my left turn indicator and running light in the headlamp do not turn on, the right side works. I have checked all fuses and wires, they all are connected. When checking for power at the indicator socket I did not get any readings on my meter.

I searched this forum for similar issues but did not find any.

My first question-
The bulbs for the turn indicator on my car are dual filament, judging by the wiring they should be single filament. I never see these bulbs lit other than when flashing for the turn function. Should they be single filament?
Second question-
Because my left side fender repeater works as does the side marker I was planning on adding wires from those to the left indicator socket and the running light socket in the headlamp to make them work. I think this is may be my only way to fix the issue.

Thoughts or previous solutions?

Old 05-02-2018, 06:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,050 Likes on 1,448 Posts

Originally Posted by 2005stype
I have a 2005 3.0 s type and my left turn indicator and running light in the headlamp do not turn on, the right side works. I have checked all fuses and wires, they all are connected. When checking for power at the indicator socket I did not get any readings on my meter.

I searched this forum for similar issues but did not find any.

My first question-
The bulbs for the turn indicator on my car are dual filament, judging by the wiring they should be single filament. I never see these bulbs lit other than when flashing for the turn function. Should they be single filament?
Second question-
Because my left side fender repeater works as does the side marker I was planning on adding wires from those to the left indicator socket and the running light socket in the headlamp to make them work. I think this is may be my only way to fix the issue.

Thoughts or previous solutions?

Wiring diagrams here, courtesy of Gus:

http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Auto...cal-2005on.pdf

Scroll down to 08.1 (Non-HID lights) or 08.2 (HID lights). The turn signals for either type appear to be wired similarly.

The nomenclature is a bit confusing to me. Let me see if I can translate properly from English English to US English. See the page of text before each diagram to help with the deciphering:

1) At the very top of the diagram, you've got a "turn repeater", which is a separate light assembly on the fender.

2) The next item down is a "side marker", which is by itself in the bumper.

3) Below that is the headlight unit, which contains 2 turn signal bulbs and 1 side lamp. Don't confuse this "side lamp" within the headlight unit with the separate "side marker" in the bumper. I do not know if this "side lamp" flashes or only comes on steady. Perhaps compare to the other side? Note how one of those two turn signal bulbs has two filaments, just like you noticed. That's an odd arrangement, as the two filaments are wired in parallel. If one filament burned out, you probably couldn't tell just looking at it.

Are any of those 5 bulbs (6 filaments) working? If not, follow the wiring diagram to figure 01.6, and you will see all of them get power via fuse F10 in the Primary Junction Box. Did you check that fuse? I had my car for several years before even knowing this existed. It's outboard of the front US passenger footwell. (There's a fuse box location diagram near the front of the wiring diagrams.) If that fuse was bad, it would take out all 5 of those bulbs.

Old 05-05-2018, 12:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,416 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Check the socket the bulb plugs into. I had one on my 2005 STR that had burned the socket where the pin from the bulb contacted it. I kept changing the bulb and sometimes it would work only to stop some time later.

Look at the metal strip that makes contact with the wires at the base of the bulb. I ended up putting a small piece of AL. foil into the socket on the side that was burned. Lasted until I sold the car years later!

You could also change the socket but at that time I could not find one.

Old 05-06-2018, 09:52 AM
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

I've been here. Slightly different but it is where you are heading. Search for my previous post "Front harness, front left turn lamps". Your break in power is different from mine but your description is similar. Mine had no power to all four lamps. Your head lamp harness drops down in the front part of the inner wheel well. I uploaded pictures. Good luck.