Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front License Plate - European

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2014, 11:49 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Front License Plate - European

Hello,

I would like to add a front license plate (European Style) to my S-Type. I was wondering what all I will need to buy . Bracket, plate, etc. and where I should buy it from. Also, what kind of plate would be desired and where can I find different ones that will fit?
Thanks for any feedback.

-Chase

2000 Jaguar S-Type

Old 07-06-2014, 05:17 PM
Received 2,637 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Originally Posted by Chase6495
...I would like to add a front license plate (European Style) to my S-Type. I was wondering what all I will need to buy . Bracket, plate, etc. and where I should buy it from. Also, what kind of plate would be desired and where can I find different ones that will fit? Thanks for any feedback.
-Chase 2000 Jaguar S-Type
The front plinth for mounting the number plate for EU countries can accommodate either the 520mm X 120mm or 520mm X 110mm sizes, depending on the country of origin of the plate. The plinth, regardless of size, is riveted to the bumper cover, usually with three rivets.

The part number from Jaguar for the EU plinth is XR82148, and may not be available unless sourced from a Jaguar agency in Europe. You may try to order it through one of the Jaguar agencies sponsoring this forum.

There may be vendors on eBay willing to sell imitation plates for novelty purposes, or you may find someone selling authentic plates.

It may be wise to also check with the local police or other government body where the vehicle is operated to determine if it is an offence to have a front number plate that is different from the one on the back of the vehicle, even for novelty purposes.

Old 07-06-2014, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by NBCat
The front plinth for mounting the number plate for EU countries can accommodate either the 520mm X 120mm or 520mm X 110mm sizes, depending on the country of origin of the plate. The plinth, regardless of size, is riveted to the bumper cover, usually with three rivets.

The part number from Jaguar for the EU plinth is XR82148, and may not be available unless sourced from a Jaguar agency in Europe. You may try to order it through one of the Jaguar agencies sponsoring this forum.

There may be vendors on eBay willing to sell imitation plates for novelty purposes, or you may find someone selling authentic plates.

It may be wise to also check with the local police or other government body where the vehicle is operated to determine if it is an offence to have a front number plate that is different from the one on the back of the vehicle, even for novelty purposes.
Thanks for the info! I hadn't even thought of the legality of novelty front license plates.

http://www.minagallery.com/jagxp/Jaguar%20XK8%20XKR/exterior/R-numberplate.htm

Do you think Mina Gallery's mount is cool and worth the price? I'd appreciate your opinion.

If it does turn out that I can't have numbers that aren't my own on the front plate, is there a place that sells European plates with the Jaguar leaper symbol on them? It wouldn't be as classy as the numbered plate, but I'd be okay with it.

-Chase

2000 Jaguar S-Type 4.0L - 110k miles

Old 07-06-2014, 11:40 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

You may look at this site for an option:
Custom Euro Plates - European License Plates, Custom Euro Plates, Custom European License Plates, Euro License Plates
I was thinking of doing something like this on mine as well ..... Also did not think of the legal issue, but am surely going to check on that now

Old 07-07-2014, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by NiceCat
You may look at this site for an option:
Custom Euro Plates - European License Plates, Custom Euro Plates, Custom European License Plates, Euro License Plates
I was thinking of doing something like this on mine as well ..... Also did not think of the legal issue, but am surely going to check on that now
Nice site! Does anyone know what the format of my numbers and letters should be to make it look like an authentic London or Great Britain plate? I decided that even if it is illegal, I probably won't get caught. I've seen others in my area.

Old 07-07-2014, 12:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,533 Likes on 3,942 Posts

Look on sites like Autotrader.co.uk and the pics will show you. There are several variations but fairly recent ones are letter letter number number letter letter letter such as AB04CDE
There's a slightly extra-wide space between the number letter pair. The numbers are coded for the year, so 04 is 2004. (This is a very basic description, it just gets messier.) Generally we cannot choose what we get. Rude words etc are not issued.

Old 07-08-2014, 12:37 AM
Received 2,637 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Originally Posted by Chase6495
...Does anyone know what the format of my numbers and letters should be to make it look like an authentic London or Great Britain plate? ...
Here is a link to a site with all relevant information on the various British vehicle number plate schemes, which explains the different elements that make up the number plate sequence: British car number plates : Wikis (The Full Wiki)

Old 07-12-2014, 09:51 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

On the legality issue: It is technically illegal in many states to mount an American state license plate on the front of your car that is not the same as the proper plate on the back of your car. Most of these are the same states that require their residents to have two plates on their vehicles (such as New Jersey).

Foreign plates, however, shouldn't be a problem. If you get stopped you could always be a smart*ss and ask the officer if he/she really thinks you drove from England all the way to Jersey

The following users liked this post:
Chase6495 (07-12-2014)