Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Suspension Squeak

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 04:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Default Front Suspension Squeak

I have this exact sound and action on my 2005 S- Type 3.0 67K (passenger side)

It is indicated that I need t fiddle around with the
lower rear control arm outer bushing. I must have lubricated this before and stopped the noise. i have no rattle, clunks, clanks, just rubber squeaky when I start moving forward or come to a complete stop or if I am doing at a slow speed on a bumpy area.

Suggestions and how difficult to change. i am sure that if I went to the dealer, I would be out for an entire control arm and who knows what else to the tune of thousands of dollars for a $45 part.

What is the failure mode for this- does it develop a knock or what? Ant way to test to know for sure as I can't see it and . I am sure that with the dry heat of Dallas, this becomes a problem of drying out. Is this a rubber bushing or some other material?

Just a side note. if I treated my clients the way that Park Place Plano did, i would have been out of business long ago. They heard this sound and could not figure out. They are the worst at diagnosis, arrogant, over priced and have the worst quality control I have even seem. - even if you tell them to make sure of certain things. As a network eng. with my own company- everyone would be gone if I behaved in the same fashion.

Suggestions on this bushing or squeak?

Thanks

Tom in Dallas.

Last edited by GGG; 11-14-2013 at 02:56 PM. Reason: edit typo in thread title so it appears in searches
Old 11-09-2013, 09:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 203 Likes on 148 Posts

I found this old (ish) thread while looking for suggestions on my squeak and I see there are no replies! I'm wondering what happened -- did you replace anything?

Old 11-09-2013, 10:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,384 Likes on 1,880 Posts

I really recommend this UK forum thread. They have the most current info.

The definitive wishbone bush thread

The following users liked this post:
OldMike (11-09-2013)
Old 11-09-2013, 10:56 AM
Veteran Member
Default No Replacement

The problem is not a problem in the real sense. I have attached an image of the area the squeak was coming from. I sprayed the area with silicon and since the time I wrote the first question--no noise. There is zero wrong with the bushing. Whether it may be slightly dry due to summer heat or whatever, I have nothing wrong with my suspension, ride handling, just ones of the squeaky bushings. i d not know which one as I cannot get under the car by myself and pull down on the suspension an have no help to do so. i have as much interest in going to the dealership as I do to a leper colony and zero interest in dropping off a car to a repair shop, taking a taxi home and then cutting out my business life to let them tell me what I already knew. Point is the squeak is just squeaking rubber and I could get the marked area off, but have no press to put the bushing in and since there is nothing really wrong with it, why go trough the trouble

Thanks
Tom in Dallas

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Capture.pdf (53.7 KB, 797 views)
OldMike (11-09-2013)
Old 11-09-2013, 12:07 PM
Veteran Member

My front end was squeaking badly all the way home from work the other night, but when I pushed on the front today, it didn't squeak at all. I'm wondering if something is dripping (AC) on the bushings? I have to take it for a test drive.

Old 11-09-2013, 12:47 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by OldMike
My front end was squeaking badly all the way home from work the other night, but when I pushed on the front today, it didn't squeak at all. I'm wondering if something is dripping (AC) on the bushings? I have to take it for a test drive.
Did you notice the squeak when you put the car in reverse and just moved slight or put it into drive and moved slightly. I knew it had to be the control arm when that happened to me. I could open the hood and push up and down and isolate the sound to the control arm as I did that. The problem, due to sound and metal, was determining which end it was. I use a strong silicon lubricant and it went away when it had about 60 seconds to penetrate. In my case, I think some water gets trapped between the metal and the bushing, dries out in the Dallas sun and then just makes a noise. There appears no cracks that can be seen and no degradation of suspension.

Tom in Dallas

joycesjag (11-09-2013)
Old 11-10-2013, 06:31 AM
Veteran Member

I'm going to check into it a bit more today - hope to get to the bottom of it.

This is what happened the other day, after driving 20 miles with the annoying squeak: I noticed when I pulled into my driveway and stopped, it squeaked, so I "pumped" the brake (took my foot off and put it back on right away just to jerk the car) and it squeaked again. I pulled into the garage, stopped quickly to see if it squeaked -- yes it did. I turned the car off, got out, pushed on the left front quarter panel to make it bounce -- it squeaked. I did this a couple times without raising the hood and it squeaked every time. Yesterday I pushed on the front (same spot as before) and it didn't seem to squeak. Last night I pushed on it again, this time making it bounce and I could hear a bit of a squeak but not as pronounced as before.

Note: the car doesn't "bounce," the shocks seem to be just fine, I'm just explaining what I did to make it squeak.

I have to do some driving today. I'll keep an eye/ear in it and post my observations here.

I like the idea of spraying lubricant on the problem - would be great if that's all I have to do, but first I want to replicate the problem so I can at least try to pinpoint the issue.

Old 11-10-2013, 10:16 AM
Veteran Member

I drove a bit today and it squeaked the entire time -- I got home and pushed on the front end and it seems to be driver's side -- so, I sprayed PB Blaster on the lower wishbone part depicted as #6 in the diagram. I'll let you know if it helped.

Here's a really poor photo of the part I sprayed - it's in the lower left of the photo. That's should be #6.

BTW As soon as I sprayed it, I pushed on the front end and didn't get any squeaking unless I pushed somewhat lightly -- i.e. heavy rocking doesn't make it squeak, but short, little pushes does.

I'll let the PB Blaster soak in and then drive it a bit and see what happens.

Also, while I was out there, I took this photo of the upper wishbone arm -- doesn't look too good to me!

I have another "unrelated but related" comment -- my brother and another guy independently and spontaneously (i.e. unsolicited!) told me that I needed brakes because they squeak -- my brother never drove the car, the other guy did. Neither one is a mechanic nor pretends to be, in fact the other guy is a total idiot when it comes to cars. I'm wondering if the squeaking they were hearing is what I'm now trying to track down -- I can assure you it's not the brakes, and the brakes actually seem just fine to me.

Attached Thumbnails Front Suspension Squeak-810a23140fbc4076bec4f45a023bb98c_zps6a70ffa8.jpg   Front Suspension Squeak-70b0b87f3d3c593000c7088a7277408d_zps8f67e860.jpg  

Last edited by OldMike; 11-10-2013 at 10:32 AM.
Old 11-10-2013, 11:17 AM
Veteran Member

I drove a bit today and it squeaked the entire time -- I got home and pushed on the front end and it seems to be driver's side -- so, I sprayed PB Blaster on the lower wishbone part depicted as #6 in the diagram. I'll let you know if it helped.

Here's a really poor photo of the part I sprayed - it's in the lower left of the photo. That's should be #6.

BTW As soon as I sprayed it, I pushed on the front end and didn't get any squeaking unless I pushed somewhat lightly -- i.e. heavy rocking doesn't make it squeak, but short, little pushes does.

I'll let the PB Blaster soak in and then drive it a bit and see what happens.

Also, while I was out there, I took this photo of the upper wishbone arm -- doesn't look too good to me!

I have another "unrelated but related" comment -- my brother and another guy independently and spontaneously (i.e. unsolicited!) told me that I needed brakes because they squeak -- my brother never drove the car, the other guy did. Neither one is a mechanic nor pretends to be, in fact the other guy is a total idiot when it comes to cars. I'm wondering if the squeaking they were hearing is what I'm now trying to track down -- I can assure you it's not the brakes, and the brakes actually seem just fine to me.
That bushing appears to be missing on the upper part of the wishbone, but to replace that piece is not that hard, however all of the wishbone is a real tedious headache to get to the bolts and you have to remove a bunch of things. The large or small part of the rear control arm on the front is probably the culprit. Raise the hood, stand over the area where where you are directly above that control arm and push up and down. You will hear a sound that seems to come directly from that spot. If it comes more from the front then is the control arm. I think there is nothing wrong with the bushing there, just some noise and not uncommon in cars. The best deal would be to drive on risers and have someone under the car and while you push down- isolate exactly where it is coming from.

Tom n Dallas

Old 11-10-2013, 12:09 PM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I have squeak noise from my front left wheel while braking - specifically near stop speed. I had the disks turned or flatten as they were eroded by the pads, but the mechanic said they are perfectly ok and need only get turned or flattened So the brake pads are ok. After sanding lightly the pads, and putting back the good looking disk plates, I still had that squeaking noise.

It turned out that this is a quite common issue and need to be addressed by taking out the pads, applying a special (low cost) kind of grease /polymer on their back (metal side) where the piston push them to the disks.
This area of contact is the part that resonate and squeak under certain conditions, and I intend to ask to do that next visit to the garage. I dont think they will charge to much for that, it's a very simple task.

Old 11-10-2013, 12:35 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by orlee
I have squeak noise from my front left wheel while braking - specifically near stop speed. I had the disks turned or flatten as they were eroded by the pads, but the mechanic said they are perfectly ok and need only get turned or flattened So the brake pads are ok. After sanding lightly the pads, and putting back the good looking disk plates, I still had that squeaking noise.

It turned out that this is a quite common issue and need to be addressed by taking out the pads, applying a special (low cost) kind of grease /polymer on their back (metal side) where the piston push them to the disks.
This area of contact is the part that resonate and squeak under certain conditions, and I intend to ask to do that next visit to the garage. I don't think they will charge to much for that, it's a very simple task.
If it is the front brakes with the S-Type, anyone can do that with simple car mechanic skills. You will take longer to get the tire off (trying to make the point) than taking out the pads and putting the grease on the back of the them.

However what you are saying may explain my problem on the back right brake. i had had three sets of pads and rotors on my car since I got and that includes the ones on it when bought at 31k miles. All of them have squeaked when braking oin that same location: back rear after suing them for awhile. I just assumed it was the way i am braking. I do much city driving and probably what you would consider a light braker, not a slammer of brakes or standing on them, so as to speak. I had assummed that the common part may have been soemthing about the caliper, although ther is nothing wrong with it and if I brake a little harder, then no squeak. I will try the suggestion and see what happens.

Thanks

Tom in Dallas

Old 11-10-2013, 02:24 PM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

All those are kind of grease or synthetic polymers designed to overcome that
noise:

Antiseize compound
Disc Brake Quiet
Permatex
Brake anti-squeak spray - 557.74.32 - LIQUI MOLY
CRC/De-Squeak brake conditioning treatment

They all shall be applied on the back side (Metalic) part of the pads. Not on the pads
themselves or you wont have braking action.. You can find a lot of content on how to apply them on the net.

I will do the same and will report. My squeaking cause my daughter not to use the brakes - she hate that noise....

Old 11-10-2013, 02:36 PM
Veteran Member

I really doubt that my brakes are squeaking -- but I think that's what my brother and the other guy said. I only get the squeak when going over bumps or jostling the front end. I can't hear it when driving over 35-40 mph since there are other noises that cover it up.

After spraying the lower wishbone bushing with PB Blaster, it seems to have quieted down a lot, but not gone. I might try spraying a bit more and even doing the other side.

Re the upper wishbone -- I've looked at the diagram and can't seem to find a bushing for the area where I seem to be missing one! Is it part of the bolt, maybe?

Old 11-10-2013, 04:53 PM
Veteran Member

I really doubt that my brakes are squeaking -- but I think that's what my brother and the other guy said. I only get the squeak when going over bumps or jostling the front end. I can't hear it when driving over 35-40 mph since there are other noises that cover it up.

After spraying the lower wishbone bushing with PB Blaster, it seems to have quieted down a lot, but not gone. I might try spraying a bit more and even doing the other side.

Re the upper wishbone -- I've looked at the diagram and can't seem to find a bushing for the area where I seem to be missing one! Is it part of the bolt, maybe?
According to the JEPC there is no listing of a part/bushing for that area, you apparently have to get the whole wishbone. That realy seems silly. perhaps there is one, but i am going to attach the procedure for replacing the wishbone and it is not for the faint of heart.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
arm LH.pdf (3.56 MB, 470 views)
Old 11-10-2013, 05:18 PM
Veteran Member

attached is the right hand side. more dificult.

Tom in Dallas

Attached Files
File Type: docx
Upper Arm RH.docx (363.6 KB, 472 views)
Old 11-10-2013, 08:33 PM
Veteran Member

Amazing! Will wait until I get my other car back from the transmission shop, then I'll have the luxury of time!

Old 11-11-2013, 02:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,533 Likes on 3,942 Posts

In case you want to replace anything, check out the UK forum about the various wishbone bushes.

Old 11-11-2013, 10:05 AM
Veteran Member

I do not believe that the squeak is related to the upper wishbone, so I'm going to start a new thread on that issue.

I did notice on my commute to work this morning that the squeak is constant while going over slight bumps at speeds under 50 mph (road noise probably drowns it out at higher speeds), but it does seem a little less noisy (loudness) than before I sprayed it with PB Blaster. I might just put it up on ramps later today and see what it all looks like down there.

Old 11-11-2013, 10:53 AM
Veteran Member

I do not believe that the squeak is related to the upper wishbone, so I'm going to start a new thread on that issue.

I did notice on my commute to work this morning that the squeak is constant while going over slight bumps at speeds under 50 mph (road noise probably drowns it out at higher speeds), but it does seem a little less noisy (loudness) than before I sprayed it with PB Blaster. I might just put it up on ramps later today and see what it all looks like down there.

Put on ramps, but make sure there is someone to push the car up and down and you will locate the noise. It could be the front or rear control arm that the squeak is coming from on the front and I will bet there is noting wrong with the bushing that getting lube in the right area won't take care of. Sounds exactly like my problem and it is in a tone range that is very irritating. I went through the same trial and error till I figured it out.

Tom in Dallas

Old 11-11-2013, 12:39 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks Tom -- will try to get that done next weekend! For now, I just have to live with it.

Maybe I'll just climb under there and do a little more spraying...

Quick Reply: Front Suspension Squeak