Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Suspension Squeak

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 03:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by OldMike
Thanks Tom -- will try to get that done next weekend! For now, I just have to live with it.

Maybe I'll just climb under there and do a little more spraying...

Have fun. Just make sure you have one of those plastic extensions on the nozzle and that especially on the larger bushing go at where connected from both sides.

Tom in Dallas

Old 11-14-2013, 05:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 203 Likes on 148 Posts

I haven't had a chance to do anything so far, but yesterday the noise got worse than it ever was! The temps dropped to the low 70s (brrr!!!), so I'm thinking maybe that has something to do with it. It's still "cool" out today, so I'll see how it goes on the way to work.

I'm also trying my best to "make" it happen -- if I'm coasting (with the car in "D" but my foot off the accelerator), it doesn't seem to make the noise. The time that it's the most prevalent is when accelerating slowing from a stop. I also think it happens when turning to the left, but I can't swear to that. I probably should take it to a parking lot and drive around in circles! What it doesn't seem to be related to is bumps -- I've coasted over railroad tracks and other bumpy surfaces and can't really swear that it's happening because of that.

This car also has the steering wheel squeak -- I'm wondering if there's a relationship and maybe I've jumped to the wrong conclusion here, although there is the squeak when I rock the car by pushing down on the front fender -- hmmmmm.

I have to do what we talked about -- put it on ramps and have someone else bounce the car so I can try to locate the source of the noise.

Old 11-14-2013, 06:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,533 Likes on 3,942 Posts

Might be worth trying the additive for the PAS. Cheap from dealer and easy to use...

Old 11-14-2013, 09:26 AM
Veteran Member

I haven't had a chance to do anything so far, but yesterday the noise got worse than it ever was! The temps dropped to the low 70s (brrr!!!), so I'm thinking maybe that has something to do with it. It's still "cool" out today, so I'll see how it goes on the way to work.

I'm also trying my best to "make" it happen -- if I'm coasting (with the car in "D" but my foot off the accelerator), it doesn't seem to make the noise. The time that it's the most prevalent is when accelerating slowing from a stop. I also think it happens when turning to the left, but I can't swear to that. I probably should take it to a parking lot and drive around in circles! What it doesn't seem to be related to is bumps -- I've coasted over railroad tracks and other bumpy surfaces and can't really swear that it's happening because of that.

This car also has the steering wheel squeak -- I'm wondering if there's a relationship and maybe I've jumped to the wrong conclusion here, although there is the squeak when I rock the car by pushing down on the front fender -- hmmmmm.

I have to do what we talked about -- put it on ramps and have someone else bounce the car so I can try to locate the source of the noise.

I think you have 2 different issues. The additive is inexpensive and works in about 100 miles and will stop the steering squeak. If you drive between car or buildings and do so at a slow speed with a few bumps and the windows down you wilt hear easily. It appears to do it when the car moves only a touch and not on the larger bumps, but the real test to let you know it is there is just push the car up and down, but until you get it on the ramps, yo will not know which of the 4 places it is. I don't blame you for figuiring out. It is a very irritating noise.

Tom in Dallas

Old 11-14-2013, 02:49 PM
Veteran Member

Yes, it is a very irritating noise!

I'm sure you're right that I have two issues -- steering wheel squeak and the suspension squeak.

What additive are you talking about? I thought the steering wheel squeak was harder to deal with than adding something?

EDIT: Ok I found the info on the additive. Will definitely be giving it a try in the very near future! Thanks.

EDIT 2: I just ordered it from Terry's JaguarParts for $13, including shipping.

Last edited by OldMike; 11-14-2013 at 03:10 PM.
Old 11-14-2013, 05:00 PM
Veteran Member

Yes, it is a very irritating noise!

I'm sure you're right that I have two issues -- steering wheel squeak and the suspension squeak.

What additive are you talking about? I thought the steering wheel squeak was harder to deal with than adding something?

EDIT: Ok I found the info on the additive. Will definitely be giving it a try in the very near future! Thanks.

EDIT 2: I just ordered it from Terry's JaguarParts for $13, including shipping.
It does work. Just take out that amount of fluid first and make sure heated up to running temp. and then go drive around or move steering wheel back and forth full rotation for a few minutes. Will disappear in a 100 miles or so. One of the few things that work.

The control arm is another issue and it almost drove me nuts for the day or so I could tolerate.

Tom in Dallas

Old 11-14-2013, 05:55 PM
Veteran Member

I'm looking forward to getting rid of the steering wheel squeak -- doesn't do it all the time, but when it does, it drives me nuts.

The suspension issue is another story -- I took my car in to get the windows tinted today. I had the window tint guy drive the car forward and back a time or two so I could hear it from the outside -- definitely the left side. I hope to find some time on Saturday morning to take a closer look. I should probably order the upper wishbones so I can replace those "whenever," but I don't think that's the source of the squeak. I might run out to the garage this evening and douse the suspected culprit again to see if it quiets down.

Old 11-14-2013, 07:02 PM
Veteran Member

I'm looking forward to getting rid of the steering wheel squeak -- doesn't do it all the time, but when it does, it drives me nuts.

The suspension issue is another story -- I took my car in to get the windows tinted today. I had the window tint guy drive the car forward and back a time or two so I could hear it from the outside -- definitely the left side. I hope to find some time on Saturday morning to take a closer look. I should probably order the upper wishbones so I can replace those "whenever," but I don't think that's the source of the squeak. I might run out to the garage this evening and douse the suspected culprit again to see if it quiets down.

Have fun. It is one of these ares that are circled in red, (see attached) but I think it the big one on the rear one. It is easier to see it when you open the hood from the passenger side, bu when you do so, you might still think due to radiation of sound that it is coming from in front, bu that could be a false/positive. Better from underneath the car.

Tom in Dallas

Attached Thumbnails Front Suspension Squeak-control-arm.jpg  
Old 11-16-2013, 10:49 AM
Veteran Member

I've noticed that the squeak is intermittent - sometimes it's really bad, other times it's hardly noticeable.

I sprayed the various bushings, drove about 10 miles, it wasn't too bad, but only time will tell!

Old 11-16-2013, 11:34 AM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Sorry if this is redundant-

-any bushing that's quieted down by oiling or greasing has failed internally. The lubrication is a band-aid, not a cure.

- the front sway bar bushings on S-types are the number 1 cause of the squeak you report.

Old 11-16-2013, 11:43 AM
Veteran Member

Band aid is all I'm looking for. I figure that I can nail down the culprit that way, by process of elimination.

Old 11-16-2013, 11:54 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mikey
Sorry if this is redundant-

-any bushing that's quieted down by oiling or greasing has failed internally. The lubrication is a band-aid, not a cure.

- the front sway bar bushings on S-types are the number 1 cause of the squeak you report.

Not sure I agree with that. I had the squeak, got rid of it, then went to the Jag dealer for a check on the car before extended warranty ended. I asked them to specifically look at those bushings and they found no problems, no failures. The last time this sound started I went to an Independent Jag. mechanic of 35 years in Dallas and they heard the squeak, checked the bushings and found no failure- just a squeak. They said they could replace and I might well do that in the future, but I have lubed them once since then and have zero squeaks, no cracks and no suspension problems in any way.

Just my experience and does not mean that is universal. Mine is the big bushing on the rear control arm on the front passenger side.

Tom in Dallas
2005 S-Type 3.0 69K

Old 11-16-2013, 11:57 AM
Veteran Member

I've noticed that the squeak is intermittent - sometimes it's really bad, other times it's hardly noticeable.

I sprayed the various bushings, drove about 10 miles, it wasn't too bad, but only time will tell!
Just make sure that when you lube and I used an expensive silicon spray, that it actually will have a chance to penetrate to the metal where the bushing would rub. Just spraying on top of the bushing will not get it to where it needs to me. You might well have a failure as mentioned, but I do not and have the squeak (not now) at various times.

Tom in Dallas

Old 11-16-2013, 01:03 PM

Band aid is all I'm looking for. I figure that I can nail down the culprit that way, by process of elimination.
Yes it's a good troubleshooting aid. Try squirting the sway arm bushings to see what happens.

Conventional OEM rubber bushings are frequently a very misunderstood design system. Contrary to what many believe (and the crude poly bushings that many owners downgrade their cars with) there no part of a conventional bushing assembly that's supposed to 'slide' over another. The movement of the suspension component is all done via twisting/torsion of the rubber itself.

Here's an end view of typical bushing:

The rubber is molded around and bonded to an inner sleeve and an outer sleeve. The assembly is pressed into the suspension component (in this case it's a spring end but it could be a wishbone or control arm, or, or, or) and a bolt with serrated washers is passed through the inner sleeve to attach the components to the car.

Once tightened, the serrations prevent the washers sleeve and bolt from twisting in their mounting holes. The outer sleeve obviously does not move either.

All suspension movement is accomplished by twisting of the rubber itself.

The squeaking/groaning of bushings is either metal on metal slippage (loose bolt) or the rubber itself has debonded from the metal shell or failed internally and again slipping or sliding.

Oiling/greasing is a band-aid as mentioned above.

Sorry for the lecture, but I think it's important for DIYers to understand this stuff.

Attached Thumbnails Front Suspension Squeak-735901importcar_00000030942.jpg  

Last edited by Mikey; 11-17-2013 at 01:39 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Mikey:
JagV8 (11-17-2013), Jumpin' Jag Flash (11-18-2013), orlee (11-20-2013), ROBERT ALLAN PLUTH (05-18-2019)
Old 11-16-2013, 01:57 PM
Veteran Member

Great explanation, thanks. I learned something today, it's a good day.

Old 11-16-2013, 08:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lol! I get the steering wheel squeek too but it reminds me more of the sound a pi$$ed off jaguar makes so I'm okay with that for now. Good luck diagnosing!

Old 11-17-2013, 08:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,533 Likes on 3,942 Posts

The steering one is normally the PAS and fixed by the PAS additive.

Old 11-17-2013, 03:22 PM
Veteran Member

I have the additive on order -- should be here any day now.

Old 11-17-2013, 07:08 PM

I have the additive on order -- should be here any day now.
You'll be amazed how effective it is- the silence is golden.

Old 11-18-2013, 04:53 PM
Veteran Member

The anti-squeak juice came in today -- will try to get it done one day soon!

In the mean time, my front suspension is still making just as much noise as ever. Can't seem to get a handle on it, but will continue to keep an eye on it.

Quick Reply: Front Suspension Squeak