Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Suspension Squeak

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 08:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by OldMike
The anti-squeak juice came in today -- will try to get it done one day soon!

In the mean time, my front suspension is still making just as much noise as ever. Can't seem to get a handle on it, but will continue to keep an eye on it.

I would jack up the car, take the tire off and spray around until you know all the place are lubricated. I am thinking it might be the small one toward the wheel and that is a little harder to get to.

Tom in Dallas

Old 12-18-2013, 07:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 203 Likes on 148 Posts

I sprayed basically everything I could think of, but it still squeaks. I'm trying to get used to it.

I have noticed that if I park in the hot FL sun, it will squeak as soon as I start driving, at low speed (I'm pretty sure it squeaks at highways speed, but it's hard to tell with the road noise). If it's cool outside (like at night!), it doesn't squeak until I drive for 10 or 15 miles, then it's just as bad as when I park in the sun.

When I was up north (CT), it didn't squeak at all when the temps were below 40 degrees or so. As soon as I headed south and the temps got higher, it started to squeak again.

So, I've determined that temperature has a lot to do with my squeaking issue!

Does anyone think it might be a bad shock?

Old 12-18-2013, 09:08 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by OldMike
I sprayed basically everything I could think of, but it still squeaks. I'm trying to get used to it.

I have noticed that if I park in the hot FL sun, it will squeak as soon as I start driving, at low speed (I'm pretty sure it squeaks at highways speed, but it's hard to tell with the road noise). If it's cool outside (like at night!), it doesn't squeak until I drive for 10 or 15 miles, then it's just as bad as when I park in the sun.

When I was up north (CT), it didn't squeak at all when the temps were below 40 degrees or so. As soon as I headed south and the temps got higher, it started to squeak again.

So, I've determined that temperature has a lot to do with my squeaking issue!

Does anyone think it might be a bad shock?
Could be, however if you would take a bro0om handle or a long and not large in diameter PVC pipe and put it on the various parts that could squeak from top to bottom and have some push the side of the car up and down you will probably isolate.

Here are a couple of mechanic's stethoscopes that can help at cheap prices

Mechanic's Stethoscope

Lisle 52500 Mechanic's Stethoscope : Amazon.com : Automotive Lisle 52500 Mechanic's Stethoscope : Amazon.com : Automotive

Could also be in the area of the spring damper mounting, spring isolator or spring packer. Attached is a diagram with red highlights

I was the one that started this thread, does it sound just like the video I put in my first post?

Tom in Dallas

Attached Thumbnails Front Suspension Squeak-strut-spring.jpg  
Old 12-18-2013, 06:28 PM
Veteran Member

Yes, if I bounce the left front of the car it squeaks like in your video -- but when driving it sounds like doves or something under the hood! I ran into a buddy of mine the other day and he told me that his Jag (XK, can't remember year but I think 07) has an "aviary" under the hood! That pretty much sums it up for me, too! LOL

Old 12-18-2013, 07:40 PM
Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

Lower ball joint needs replaced.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:32 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by tony1963
Lower ball joint needs replaced.
Sounds like fun! I'll have to check that out. Thanks.

Old 12-19-2013, 07:49 PM
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

you have bad ball joints !!! i have the same problem... if u look in the picture u can see the rubber around the ball joint busted open.... i think that there is more than one too.. this causes the squeaking when u r turning corners and steering in general

Old 12-19-2013, 08:01 PM

change your ball joints... problem will be solved....in your pics i can see them busted open wich is why when u spray them with lube the quiet down but when it drys the sound comes back... they are on ebay for less than 30 bucks

Old 12-20-2013, 04:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

May be its a problem of shoker and bush. I also experienced same sound in my car before. I visited R & R Certified Tire And Auto LLC and I am satisfied with their quality work. Now my car running smooth as ever. you should visit to a good auto repair shop. I suggest you R & R Certified Tire And Auto LLC, they are really helpful. R & R Certified Tire And Auto LLC also offers a wide range of auto repair services including Tires change, breaks, shocks, alignment, suspension, ac service etc.

Old 12-20-2013, 05:22 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by beema7453
change your ball joints... problem will be solved....in your pics i can see them busted open wich is why when u spray them with lube the quiet down but when it drys the sound comes back... they are on ebay for less than 30 bucks
Are you talking about the upper or lower ball joints? The one in my photo that's deteriorated is the upper one and they are not available on ebay for $30 for my car -- the entire upper wishbone has to be replaced. There's so much misinformation about this on this forum and other places that it gets kind of annoying. If you're talking about the lower ones, please let me know where in the photo it's busted open. Thanks.

Old 12-20-2013, 09:18 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by beema7453
you have bad ball joints !!! i have the same problem... if u look in the picture u can see the rubber around the ball joint busted open.... i think that there is more than one too.. this causes the squeaking when u r turning corners and steering in general

I am not sure that based on my experience with this and with what Old Mike is talking about that the ball joints come into play. And go back to the original part of his post. He experiences this with slight movement of putting the car into gear and moving slightly from start to either forward or reverse. That is not the same as experiencing the sound from steering or turning. My ball joints are in near perfect condition and the original sound that you can hear on the first post is what I and Old Mike are getting. Now he may also have a problem with the lower ball joints, but my read on that is he would here more of a knocking or thudding type sound on movement vs. squeak. I still thing his original squeak is caused by a rotating type joint/bushing and that puts us back at the control arms. Just my take.

Thanks

Tom in Dallas

Last edited by jazzwineman; 12-20-2013 at 10:46 AM.
Old 12-20-2013, 10:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

Please be aware that just because the rubber boot is busted it does NOT mean the ball joint or any other suspension part is worn out.

It does mean that water and dirt are getting into the joint and accelerating the wear but you will have broken rubber boots long before the joint is worn out.

The lower ball joint carries almost the entire load so they will wear out first. Upper ball joints rarely wear out but as was posted above the upper ball joint rubber boots do seem to give out first.

Squeaking lower ball joints have been reported before but again it's usually something else and the front sway bar end links and the sway bar bushings are the most common place for the S Type to get squeaks.

Have you unbolted the front sway bar end links and then drove the car to see if the noise has changed? It's very simple and quick to do unless the car is from a salt area and is all rusted up!

Old 12-20-2013, 10:48 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by tbird6
Please be aware that just because the rubber boot is busted it does NOT mean the ball joint or any other suspension part is worn out.

It does mean that water and dirt are getting into the joint and accelerating the wear but you will have broken rubber boots long before the joint is worn out.

The lower ball joint carries almost the entire load so they will wear out first. Upper ball joints rarely wear out but as was posted above the upper ball joint rubber boots do seem to give out first.

Squeaking lower ball joints have been reported before but again it's usually something else and the front sway bar end links and the sway bar bushings are the most common place for the S Type to get squeaks.

Have you unbolted the front sway bar end links and then drove the car to see if the noise has changed? It's very simple and quick to do unless the car is from a salt area and is all rusted up!

That is a very good suggestion and makes quite a bit of common sense.

Tom in Dallas

Old 12-20-2013, 11:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

I forgot to add that it's much more rare but you can do the same troubleshooting on the rear. Unhook the rear sway bar end links and drive around to see if anything changed.

In the rear the sway bar bushing is not likely the problem but the end links could be.

Both these methods completely remove the sway bar from the suspension. It's too bad we can't do the same with the upper and lower control arms!!

Old 12-20-2013, 05:26 PM
Veteran Member

I have no idea how to do that! LOL Would love to try, can you give me a hint?

Old 12-21-2013, 08:35 AM

why do we have to make this stuff so confusing.... ive seen nobody on this whole entire thread say anything about his ball joints being bad. I get on and say that my car had the exact same squeak and i know because all i had to do is get in the car and i could hear it... just pushing down on the front of the car would produce that same annoying squeal and when moving the steering wheel... Its the ball joints... just change out the lower and upper ball joint.. even if it busted out but not producing the sound doesnt it still need to be changed ? lol. Ive even heard while trying to trouble shoot that the strut was bad but once i knew it was the ball joint i went on youtube and watched videos of bad ball joints and its the same exact sound we ALL are talking about.... CHANGE YOUR BALL JOINTS

Old 12-21-2013, 08:43 AM

Take your lube sray and spray it in the ball joints .. U can see where its split open on the upper and lower ones and it will stop squeaking.. Go to youtube and search ball joint squeaking and i can guarantee its the same annoying squeak

Old 12-21-2013, 09:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,384 Likes on 1,880 Posts

I don't have a picture that shows everything but here is the front sway bar end link. It connects the sway bar to the lower control arm.

If you get under the front end these should be easy to see. They almost always will have split rubber boots so they should be replaced and these are fairly cheap and quick to change. You might consider changing both the front and rear sway bar end links anyway?

I always try to do easy cheap stuff first before changing ANY parts. It could be a lot of things but randomly throwing parts at it will not work and you don't have all that spare money to spend anyway!!

Attached Thumbnails Front Suspension Squeak-sway-bar-end-link.jpg  
Old 12-21-2013, 09:49 AM
Received 2,637 Likes on 1,817 Posts

I have seen several S-Types with the same squeak and it comes from the ball joints, either upper or lower, and the lower strut bush.

The upper ball joints are part of the upper control arm while the lower ball joint is part of the suspension upright. If the lower ball joint is worn, it is possible to replace the ball joint without having to replace the entire upright, but Jaguar agencies only sell the lower ball joint as part of the upright.

If the problem is the lower strut bush, there are now service parts available instead of replacing the entire strut, which was the case previously.

The following users liked this post:
Jumpin' Jag Flash (12-27-2013)
Old 12-21-2013, 10:57 AM
Veteran Member

Sounds like a lot of work! LOL

I have to get my XJ8 back on the road so I can afford to take this one apart. Thanks for the help, I'll let you all know if I get it fixed.

Quick Reply: Front Suspension Squeak