S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Suspension Squeak

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 11:02 AM
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks to the last couple posters who agree with me... I was pulling my hair out trying to figure out where this noise was coming from. Once I figured it out and lubed up the ball joints both upper and lower because they both were split open the noise disappeared. I ordered new ones from eBay.

Old 12-26-2013, 05:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 203 Likes on 148 Posts

I asked an indie mechanic today what he thought -- he bounced the car and immediately said it was the ball joints. After looking at the suspension, he figured it was the upper one with the broken boot, so he lubed it with some stuff called "2000" something or something "2000" and it didn't make any difference. So, I'd have to say that I doubt that the noise is coming from the upper ball joints.

As for the lower one, he thought it looked "new." I doubt that it was ever actually replaced, but who knows. I asked him what he'd recommend and he said to replace the lower ball joint, the bushings, and get a front end alignment (he said the alignment would be necessary after replacing the suspension parts). I didn't bother asking for an estimate, I'll probably just drive it like this until it drives me nuts!

Old 12-28-2013, 02:48 PM
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by OldMike
I asked an indie mechanic today what he thought -- he bounced the car and immediately said it was the ball joints. After looking at the suspension, he figured it was the upper one with the broken boot, so he lubed it with some stuff called "2000" something or something "2000" and it didn't make any difference. So, I'd have to say that I doubt that the noise is coming from the upper ball joints.

As for the lower one, he thought it looked "new." I doubt that it was ever actually replaced, but who knows. I asked him what he'd recommend and he said to replace the lower ball joint, the bushings, and get a front end alignment (he said the alignment would be necessary after replacing the suspension parts). I didn't bother asking for an estimate, I'll probably just drive it like this until it drives me nuts!
Its more than likely the lower one.. it may be split in the back or something.. either way it has dried out so that is why you have the squeak.... id still change em both out and the bushings like he said.. ebay is the place to go.. the lower one is less than 30 bucks.. im sure all the parts u need are cheap as well.... like i said go on youtube and watch BAD BALL JOINT VIDEOS.. im certain that the exact sound u are hearing will be in the videos

Old 12-29-2013, 07:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 203 Likes on 148 Posts

For now the squeaking has subsided a bit, at least it's not as loud as is once was, and at times it's not even noticeable. I'm not going to be replacing anything at this point. If the squeak comes back with a vengeance, then I'll consider the ball joint replacement. I've watched enough youtube videos to see how to do it and to convince myself that unless I need to do it, I should leave it alone! Also, if spraying the upper ball joint got rid of the squeak, it's not the lower one, so replacing the upper one is what I'd do. I can find the wishbone with the ball joint for about $170 per side, and I know that I could do the job myself, so I might consider doing that if the squeak comes back. The lower ball joint doesn't seem to be the issue right now, and if I have to replace the lower ones, I'll have to decide if it's something I want to tackle myself (basically because of the pressing in and out process).