Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Caps....who knew?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 11:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts
Default Fuel Caps....who knew?

I'm chasing an intermittent P0174 and have sprayed down all vacuum lines with (in order) carb-cleaner, brake cleaner, simple-green/water and finally.....garden hose with nary a blip nor stumble in the idle whilst doing so. (but I have a clean mill)

Gus helpfully suggested I have a look on the fuel cap, amongst other things. My daughter happens to have arrived home Thurs. night for spring break bringing her 03....so voila` figured I'd swap fuel caps and see if the problem migrates. (And yes, I was already aware Jaguar changed the fuel filler door and latch mechanism between 03 to 05 (from "bad" to "worse" actually) but imagine my surprise to find the caps themselves are not interchangeable!?!

Does appear the 03 F-150 cap is interchangeable with the 03 S-type..but no joy on the 05.

Just thought it was a curiousity and thought I'd post it.

Old 04-24-2011, 11:21 AM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I just bought a oem gas cap for my 05 last week I think it was 16.99

Old 04-24-2011, 12:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

Both my Jags failed emissions testing for the fuel caps (at separate times), the state pressure tests the cap to see if it holds pressure.

Ironically, for the X-Type I bought a stant fuel cap through my brother's wholesale parts connection. It PASSED the state inspection, but then threw a check engine light for large evap leak. I put the OEM cap back on, and cleared the code and it never came back. I keep that replacement gas cap for the every 2yr emissions testing.

My S-Type didn't have a check engine light, but failed for the gas cap. I got a replacement from ford, and it's been fine.

I've never seen a car throw a lean code due to a fuel cap, it's usually "evap system large leak".

Mercedes actually has a pretty cool system as far as this. The low fuel light warning gauge will blink at you rapidly for 5 mins when you start the car. I had no idea what it was and thought that car was possessed. Then it threw the check engine light and I did a little RTFM.

I live in NJ and it's theoretically illegal to pump your own gas here, as the state has deemed that underpaid flunkies are better suited to the task, so a lot of the time the gas attendants don't tighten the cap all the way.

Take care,

George

Old 04-24-2011, 12:40 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Yes! Do not overlook the gas cap and associated vacuum systems.

Old 04-24-2011, 01:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,623 Posts

Originally Posted by androulakis
I live in NJ and it's theoretically illegal to pump your own gas here, as the state has deemed that underpaid flunkies are better suited to the task, so a lot of the time the gas attendants don't tighten the cap all the way.
Have you considered that the gas companies would happily employ less people in NJ? And that those people would be on welfare? And that you could pay the state levy for that welfare?

Lots of people used to be gainfully employed delivering bread, milk and dry cleaning. They also happened to be an additional safeguard in their neighbourhoods. Then people fell for the allure of saving $1.00 in return for their gas and time. Now, there is no such thing and those jobs are gone forever. Of course, the privileged few can hire personal shoppers.

The newest ploy is self service checkout. Well no, if the store wants your money, they should at least be willing to pay a cashier to take it.

These are jobs that not everyone might want, but *somebody* would be glad to have it.

If someone reading this is rewarded by cutting jobs ... stop it. You are beggaring your neighbour.

Henry Ford was once criticised by his fellow auto manufacturers for paying too well. His answer was that if he didn't pay well, there would be no customers for his cars.

Old 04-24-2011, 02:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by plumsauce
Have you considered that the gas companies would happily employ less people in NJ? And that those people would be on welfare? And that you could pay the state levy for that welfare?

Lots of people used to be gainfully employed delivering bread, milk and dry cleaning. They also happened to be an additional safeguard in their neighbourhoods. Then people fell for the allure of saving $1.00 in return for their gas and time. Now, there is no such thing and those jobs are gone forever. Of course, the privileged few can hire personal shoppers.

The newest ploy is self service checkout. Well no, if the store wants your money, they should at least be willing to pay a cashier to take it.

These are jobs that not everyone might want, but *somebody* would be glad to have it.

If someone reading this is rewarded by cutting jobs ... stop it. You are beggaring your neighbour.

Henry Ford was once criticised by his fellow auto manufacturers for paying too well. His answer was that if he didn't pay well, there would be no customers for his cars.
Wow this thread took a twist....

Honestly I have no problem with full serve gas, nor am I looking to put people out of work, but rather my issue tends to be with the quality of the people doing the work, and the indifference they show towards their job.

I've had fuel spilled down the side of my car, gas caps not tightened, the wrong grade of fuel being pumped etc...

Most of these gas attendants are either kids who just want beer and cigarette money, or bitter adults who could care less about their job or their performance. They don't "want" this job as you say, but rather have taken it out of desperation or lack of ability to find something else, and that shows, in the way they do things, in the attitude they display etc... The others take this as a job of opportunity.

At least once a month we hear about someone either dealing drugs or stealing credit card info under the guise of working as a gas attendant.

The world, and it's economy has changed... Customer service is a thing of the past, in all levels of retail, and in the corporate world. It's all about the lowest cost (from the company's perspective), and the lowest price (from the consumer's perspective).

Take care,

George

Old 04-24-2011, 02:46 PM
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

I agree with George. I live in Oregon, the only other dumbass state to make pumping your own gas illegal. No matter when I go there are always 5+ cars and one moron limping around taking his time servicing each one. Just in the past month I have had to leave without gas because I am starting to run late because of them. I would gladly pay MORE to pump my own gas and be on my way. I resent paying for a service I do not want or need. The very tiny portion of society that needs somebody to pump their gas should pay for it, and that's what a lot of people don't get, these gas pumpers do not work for free, you are being charged extra for this "service."

Originally Posted by androulakis
Wow this thread took a twist....

Honestly I have no problem with full serve gas, nor am I looking to put people out of work, but rather my issue tends to be with the quality of the people doing the work, and the indifference they show towards their job.

I've had fuel spilled down the side of my car, gas caps not tightened, the wrong grade of fuel being pumped etc...

Most of these gas attendants are either kids who just want beer and cigarette money, or bitter adults who could care less about their job or their performance. They don't "want" this job as you say, but rather have taken it out of desperation or lack of ability to find something else, and that shows, in the way they do things, in the attitude they display etc... The others take this as a job of opportunity.

At least once a month we hear about someone either dealing drugs or stealing credit card info under the guise of working as a gas attendant.

The world, and it's economy has changed... Customer service is a thing of the past, in all levels of retail, and in the corporate world. It's all about the lowest cost (from the company's perspective), and the lowest price (from the consumer's perspective).

Take care,

George

The following users liked this post:
jag79 (04-24-2011)
Old 04-24-2011, 03:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 217 Likes on 129 Posts

I like doing things for myself cause then I know they are done right and if they arent I only have myself to blame. People could give 2 craps about your stuff as long as they are getting paid. This is why I do all my own repairs home and auto, pump my own gas, and use self check out whenever available. They actually started taking away self checkout here dont see it in as many stores as I used too. I always hated coming home and having electronics purchases bagged with my food items or worse having car cleaners bagged with produce. Maybe its just me though seems everytime I have someone else ie a company do something I always get hosed somehow. Take the last time I had my tire patched from a nail. Because of the specialized tire service shop I now have a nice 4" gash in my chrome rims that they nothing about but was not there before I took it in. Tires are about the only thing I cant do just because of not having the equipment but give me a few years and will be doing that myself also. Very few people in the service industry seem to take pride in their work anymore its all about making a buck. Plus it saves me money just doing it myself.

Last edited by vance580; 04-24-2011 at 03:48 PM.
Old 04-24-2011, 03:47 PM
Veteran Member

Wonder if the pump attendants in either NJ or OR are aware that the cap from an 03 won't fit an 05?

Old 04-24-2011, 04:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 217 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by aholbro1
Wonder if the pump attendants in either NJ or OR are aware that the cap from an 03 won't fit an 05?
LOL. Probably not. That is interesting at least we know something else that was changed with the facelift. I wonder why they would of made it different. Now when people ask what the differences between the 03 and 05 we can add the gas cap in with the bumpers etc.

Old 04-24-2011, 04:54 PM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by vance580
LOL. Probably not. That is interesting at least we know something else that was changed with the facelift. I wonder why they would of made it different. Now when people ask what the differences between the 03 and 05 we can add the gas cap in with the bumpers etc.
Dam*, if I had only known I would held out for an 05. Instead, I foolishly bought an 03 with an 'old school' cap. I feel like such a loser.

Old 04-24-2011, 06:18 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mikey
Dam*, if I had only known I would held out for an 05. Instead, I foolishly bought an 03 with an 'old school' cap. I feel like such a loser.
Au Contraire Mikey! In my case...it's the 05 with the problem....and if it WOULD be the 03 it would be a lot easier to confirm or eliminate the fuel cap as a suspect!

Old 04-24-2011, 07:26 PM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Ah- life is worth living again!