S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel filter replacement, 03 str , need some advice on how to change lean bank codes

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 08:39 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Fuel filter replacement, 03 str , need some advice on how to change lean bank codes

I have done extensive work to my car, new supercharger, aux pumps, sensors , cats, water pump, and several other updates. I'm getting a lean bank 1 and lean bank 2 code. I'm thinking it's fuel filter , never changed , 178 k miles, any advise ?? Thanks in advance

Old 05-31-2017, 09:49 PM
Received 103 Likes on 93 Posts

Not trying to be flip, but how on earth could you replace all those parts but NOT the fuel filter? My opinion is that they're good for 30k miles, maybe a tad more. My advice is that you replace it pronto, then see if lean codes go away. And by the way, cut the old filter apart; I think you'll be surprised at what you find.

Last edited by swingwing; 05-31-2017 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Added sentence.
Old 06-01-2017, 12:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,548 Likes on 3,957 Posts

Watch fuel trims (LTFTs) using OBD live data - elm327 will do it cheaply.

Park with hot engine. Look at idle and at about 2500rpm. Will see if it's an air leak or something else.

Old 06-01-2017, 09:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,715 Likes on 1,215 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike 8897
I have done extensive work to my car, new supercharger, aux pumps, sensors , cats, water pump, and several other updates.

I'm thinking it's fuel filter , never changed , 178 k miles, any advise ?? Thanks in advance
My advise:
A) change the damn fuel filter. There is even a youtube vid that member vance created for ease of replacement.

B) maybe that is why you have done "extensive work" over a $10.00 fuel filter and less than a half hour to replace it.

Old 06-01-2017, 10:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,437 Likes on 1,915 Posts

Almost 100% sure it's not the fuel filter but it's good to change it anyway.

Have you checked the P/B vacuum hose connection on the back of the supercharger elbow? A well known vacuum leak. Yours will be bad at this time and will crumble when you touch it. Will require the SC to come off to repair properly.

Did you replace the blower or paid someone to do it? I hope the under super charger coolant hose was changed at that time. If not add that to your list when checking the P/B fitting.

Also check the plastic intake tubing and noise chambers for holes and cracks. Our cars are old and I just found the plastic on the intake is getting brittle and I have a corner that has disintegrated and looks to have a hole in it. Some black RTV patched it up.

But until you can monitor your fuel trims while spraying carb cleaner on different spots you are shooting in the dark.

Also I hope you have serviced the transmission with that many miles on the car!