S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Odor S Type 2005

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 05:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Odor S Type 2005

Hope someone can help since dealer seems to be unable to locate problem. I am noticing the odor of fuel coming from my car! It is so bad that I can't park it in garage; the odor permeates into my house. Back in 2006 this particular year and model was recalled because of this same problem, but I took it in and dealer swears he repaired it. Dealer cannot find anything wrong with the car..however, I continue to smell gas immediately after driving the automobile andI noticed the other day the smell was particularly bad around the trunk of my car. I could use the help of you experts out there....

Old 11-28-2012, 07:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,369 Likes on 2,857 Posts

There was an S-Type gas tank replacement recall (R176D) due to leaking gas at the fuel filler tube area. Prior to our ownership of it, our 2005 S-Type had its gas tank replaced under this recall at less than 12,000 miles in February 2007. Your car could very well be suffering from this issue. Check with your dealer to see if this recall has already been performed on your car. If not, you may very well need it now....

The following users liked this post:
Luan Atkins Bennett (11-28-2012)
Old 11-28-2012, 09:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,534 Likes on 3,943 Posts

Even if it was done you could have a failed part by now. Tank is under rear seat so that's typically how the smell gets into the cabin.

Old 11-28-2012, 10:13 AM
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

There's an in-line fuel filter inside the left-front wheel arch behind the mud-case that perishes and causes a smell of fuel in the cabin as well. If it's definitely coming from the trunk in your case that's unlikely, though.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,389 Likes on 1,884 Posts

I think you mean 2005 recall? That is the only recall on the 2005 model. You need to do some research on this list and go thru the factory TSB (Technical Service Bulletins). They are found in the sticky topics at the top of this forum.

Find the one about replacing the fuel tank due to fuel smells and take it to the dealer. You should be able to get a print out listing everything Jaguar has done to your car over the years.

It must have the fuel tank problem listed. If not you should be able to get this repaired for free. We have had several people who purchased their 2005 S Types used and did not know about this mandatory recall. The dealer was not helping until the TSB was shown!

Old 11-28-2012, 05:30 PM

From my paperwork looks like dealer took care of the recall back in 2006. Problem is I took car into the dealer specifically for the smell of gas and walked out with a $2100 bill and no fix for the fuel smell. Dealer said I had oil leak and coolant leak...yet I had no problem with either of these. At this point I am not trusting of the dealer at all...My Stype has 61,000 miles on it and could all of this be wrong with this car at 61,000 miles? Just makes me sick to my stomach. Thanks..I am a woman and I guess I think mechanics etc take advantage of me.. give me a sad face!

Old 11-28-2012, 06:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts

Luan, it is quite possible that your 2005 S Type actually had those problems at 61,000 miles. We purchased my wifes 2005 S type at 42,000 miles (about four years ago) and had several oil leaks at that mileage. Fortunatley for us, we did not have to take it to a mechanic.

Was it a Jaguar dealer that just did the work for you? Even though the thought may sicken you, I would have them relook at the gas odor problem. Specify that you do not want any work done until you ok the job! Come here and tell us and you will get a reply within an hour generally.

The recall mentioned above may have not been done correctly or the recalled part has failed.

Luan Atkins Bennett (11-29-2012)
Old 11-29-2012, 02:14 PM
Default fuel odor S type

Yes, it was Jag dealer that did the work...one replacing the fuel odor recall back in 2006 (try telling the dealer they did the work wrong!) and two the recent repair bill of $2100. Another issue with the dealer is this..When I took the car in, windshield wiper fluid worked fine..when I left the dealer, windshield wiper fluid did not work. Took it back in and dealer told me that my line had silt and debris in it and it was cost $125 to fix it! My neighbor looked at it and said it looked like the hose was loose. but the way jags are built, you need a lift to look at it..at this point, the dealer leaves a very bad taste in my mouth. As you know, though, not many mechanics work on JAGS! so you are at the mercy of the service dept of the dealer...at least that is the way it seems to me..

Old 11-29-2012, 03:00 PM
Veteran Member

Luan might I inquire what area you are located? The reason being is maybe we could get you in touch with an "indy" in your area.

Trust me I know what you are going through. I have a sister in Fl. that feels that she is getting taken advantage of down there, not having any man or men to help her out. She was taken for $1,200.00 on a simple brake pad replacement, just pads and shoes, no rotors, new lines nothing. I called and gave the mechanic an earfull, he stated he would "take care of her" next time she came in.... I stated there will be no more "next time".

Luan Atkins Bennett (11-30-2012)
Old 11-29-2012, 03:55 PM
Received 251 Likes on 169 Posts

Very sorry to hear about what sounds like deplorable experience with the dealer,

$2,100 spent on troubleshooting a fuel leak that was never addressed?

I realize the $2,100 was spent on 'other' repairs while it was in there, but if I were in your position, I would be raising hell with that service department.

I would contact them again, and explain that you feel you've been taken advantage of while trying to diagnose DANGEROUS problem; a fuel leak may be a serious safety risk! I would emphasize how uncomfortable you feel about this problem, and how it puts your family and home at risk when parked in the garage.
The fact they performed other work, charged $2,100, and still sent you home with a FUEL LEAK is shameful. In todays litigious world this one just looks bad! Throw in an anecdote along the lines of "I spoke with another experienced shop regarding this problem, and they said they would never in good conscience send a woman home to her family with an ongoing fuel leak".

You need to frame the experience to them in that way, and insist you feel like a victim having been taken advantage of.
If the dealer doesn't want to co-operate, contact the jaguar corporate office with the complaint, it will certainly get action.

Last edited by GT42R; 11-29-2012 at 03:58 PM.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:36 PM
Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Interesting thread. Do we have any statistics of how many Jag's have had this "fuel smell" gremlin?? I'm asking because about 2,000 miles ago, I started to get this fuel smell in mine. The smell is all around the vehicle, not just in the front, in the back and everywhere. I just crossed 75000 miles and am most interested in getting some statistics because I will hammer the dealer to make it right should it turn out to be a faulty Gas Tank. I did have a busted fuel cap, so that needed to be replaced first before further diagnostics could be performed.

Old 11-29-2012, 10:08 PM
Default fuel odor S type

I am happy to have individuals who understand what I am going through here. I live in Birmingham, AL and have found one independent mechanic that works on Jags. I trust him, but he is booked solid, appts usually 2 weeks out, and the service manager at the dealer insinuated that the fuel smell was a serious issue. He even recommended I have it towed to the dealership. I did not, but he couldn't believe I drove it down there. Then when I got home from the service dept, I called them right away and told them the smell was still there and they hadn't repaired it, though I spent $2100 on the car. at this time, they told me I should drive it back down there and they were check it. I guess I was out of line, but I said oh, last time I needed to have it towed because it was dangerous to drive it...and though I still smell the fuel odor, this time you tell me it is ok to drive it. I did call the corporate office and registered a complaint but all they did was stand behind their dealers. useless call...I just don't know if this is dangerous or not. the independent dealer I found was called Birmingham Automotive and he seemed to be knowledgeable. any others out there that you know of? I appreciate you guys so much

Old 11-29-2012, 11:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,389 Likes on 1,884 Posts

If it's the fuel tank and it has not been done once before on your car. The dealer should do it for free. It was the only recall for 2005. But again Jaguar service records will tell if you car was repaired before.

It has been reported on cars that have had the tank replaced. Several threads about the top caps and hoses leaking. Might be worth taking out the rear seat and having a look. Only takes a minute.

Old 11-30-2012, 08:17 AM
Veteran Member

Luan

I am at a loss for a trustworhy tech in Birmingham, but I posted in the regional section (see below) hopefully someone will respond soon.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...41/#post630381

Old 11-30-2012, 12:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,369 Likes on 2,857 Posts

If the R176D gas tank replacement recall was not performed on your car way back when, it is very likely that you need it now. Eat your Wheaties, grab your Viking shield, and force your dealer to prove to you in writing that your car did indeed receive this fix. Insist upon seeing the service record on Jaguar's corporate service records site. If they can prove that they did it, you need to counter with "well then, it appears to have failed again" and stick to your guns about them making it right from a safety standpoint as has been pointed out above. Stay professional, but get tough and stay tough. From what you've stated thus far, it sounds to me like your dealer is playing you like a cheap fiddle....

Old 11-30-2012, 06:31 PM
Default fuel odor S type

Thanks to you kind people! Your attention to my situation is so appreciated. I am going to try some of the tactics you recommend to try to get them to pay attention to me. I do have records of where the dealer SAID they replaced the fuel recall back in 2006 and corporate JAG said there was only a one year warranty on parts! They suggested, as some of you have, that maybe the part failed again. Well, drats on that. I am a single women, 61 years of age and need a reliable car and a trustful mechanic. Thank you so much for all of your help and Rick, you certainly went the extra mile! your sister is lucky to have you for a brother...

Old 11-30-2012, 09:37 PM
Received 67 Likes on 44 Posts

I don't know if this is necessary, but if all else fails, there is small claims court, or pay a lawyer to write up a nastygram for the dealership. The threat of litigation is often a great persuader.

I am sorry that you are going through this all, Luan. But be tough, whip out some of that feminine whoop-*** and you are sure to get some satisfaction.

Was it Shakespeare who wrote "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned."?

ANS: Actually it was William Congreve, and the above quote is a paraphrasing. But I digress.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by joycesjag
had several oil leaks at that mileage. Fortunatley for us, we did not have to take it to a mechanic.
My apologies for hijacking the thread, but how did you manage to fix the leaks without taking it to a mechanic?
Did you fix them yourself?
My 2005 3.0 is 62000 mi now and seems to leak a little. Haven't taken to mechanic yet, just wondering what are my options.

Old 12-01-2012, 06:34 AM
Veteran Member

catstyle:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ics-faq-52987/

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ck-pics-49214/

Or catstyle just have a looksie in the "How To Guides" I am a DIYer.

Old 12-02-2012, 07:34 PM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Pull your rear seat, pull the rubber plugs so you can see the tank top pastic fittings, and go fill the car with gas.

This is the exact problem my car has. Turns out, huge leak from the passenger side tank top fitting.

Took my car to Jaguar, and had them program new keys I had just bought along with some other items I spent about $900. I wanted them to look at the gas tank problem and they wouldn't even pull my car in the shop to look at it under the re call, beacuse it had already been done.

Beacuse I value my life, I ordered the parts and I will fix this my self. Be ware there is a huge mark up on the "new" redesigned parts to fix this problem. The new cap and gasket are a different color and build so its obvious that it was redesigned. My top locking ring was split and gas sprayed out when the car was filled. When you look at the tank top you can see where the gas tank was made to cheap and the lip of the flange deforms over time from being too thin.

To me, it's obvious that the first "fix" that was done was not done right if it only lasted a couple of years.

My local dealer has been so bad to deal with, Ken Garff Jaguar in Salt Lake City Utah I will never give them another cent of my money. They were going to check with the Jaguar rep to see if they could good will the fix for me (even though its not good will when it was their garbage fix that failed). They could not be bothered to call me back even to say no. But then their sales department could take the time to call me and try to sell me a new Jaguar since mine is getting up there in the miles.

If I couldn't work on the car my self this would be a huge repair bill.

Luan Atkins Bennett (12-03-2012)

Quick Reply: Fuel Odor S Type 2005