S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas filler door popping open

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 12:40 PM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts
Default Gas filler door popping open

Mine frequently does and I've noticed several other S-types with theirs popped open 1/4" too. The electric release on the lower dash rarely opens the flap when I want it to and I just jiggle the door till it does release.

Is this a common fault- is there an easy fix?

Old 10-12-2010, 01:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,360 Likes on 2,851 Posts

Yes, this is a common fault. It is essentially a design flaw, because the latch pin that holds and releases the fuel filler lid is plastic and therefore wears out or cracks easily. The entire fuel filler lid assembly on our car was replaced THREE TIMES, all under warranty, attempting to address this issue. The third replacement finally held it properly, and it releases properly when the button on the dash is pressed. Don't know how long it will last, though. That latch pin needs to be metal, not plastic....

Looking at my 7/8/09 dealership receipt for the warranty work that finally seemed to fix this issue on our car, it states that the fuel filler flap latch, actuator, and motor assembly were all replaced. The part number listed is XR855934, and the receipt also lists codes of 865614, 30547, and 789 WJG1 pertaining to that particular work....

This issue was a real pet peeve of mine. I hope ours stays fixed, but who knows....

Last edited by Jon89; 10-12-2010 at 01:04 PM.
Old 10-12-2010, 02:33 PM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey
Mine frequently does and I've noticed several other S-types with theirs popped open 1/4" too. The electric release on the lower dash rarely opens the flap when I want it to and I just jiggle the door till it does release.

Is this a common fault- is there an easy fix?
Yes and yes... The '03 door is actually different than the 05 and up. Inspect your gas door.. Check the retaining pin and make sure it isn't broken. Then check the retaining pin socket / latch. It probably looks "mangled" or bent, or doesn't retract correctly. In the 03 cars the retaining socket mechanisms go bad. On the 05 and up cars the plastic pin on the gas door breaks...Looks like they tried to fix the issue with the re-skin for 05 and just moved it...

I found a crack on the pin on my gas door and had the dealer fix it. They wrote the repair order for the more common at the time fix.. "replace the latch"... Ooops . They then replaced the door... They made an honest mistake since they usually replace the latches.

I hope it's the latch in your case. It looks to be pretty easy to DIY. If it is the door, ugggg, the whole gas door needs replaced and that means paint work...

Oh, BTW, little secret. When closing the gas door... Close it up to it touching the latch then "click" it closed. Since being replaced mine has been trouble free.

Old 10-12-2010, 04:57 PM
Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I had this problem on my S-type before I bought it. I fixed it in the dealer's forecourt using silicon spray oil with a pipe on the nozzle. I sprayed just enough on the little black plastic peg, working it in and out with a pair of long-nosed pliers. A few treatments like this, taking 5mins or so did the trick. It's never gone wrong since. It's just a lack of the RIGHT lubrication. Suitable aerosol SILICON lubricant can usually be had from radio hobbyist shops. There is a pipe affixed to the can. Mine came from Radiospares, but I don't know if they operate in US.
Leedsman.

Old 10-12-2010, 08:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had problem opening it when I first bought mine. But the dealer fixed it and so far so good. Guess they did the same thing using some lubricant spray. Just curious if anyone know how much is the replacement? Hope it is not an expensive part. Thanks.

Old 10-12-2010, 08:57 PM

Thanks for the help so far. I had a look for the possible defects mentioned but see nothing broken, worn or missing. I'll post some pics day after tomorrow when the camera finds it's way home from a road trip.

What I do find strange is the two-piece hook/latch piece attached to the body to the left of the filler nozzle seems to just flop back and forth. I would have thought that it should be spring loaded to hook onto the mating piece on the lid when closed. No?

Old 10-13-2010, 05:27 AM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by Mikey
What I do find strange is the two-piece hook/latch piece attached to the body to the left of the filler nozzle seems to just flop back and forth. I would have thought that it should be spring loaded to hook onto the mating piece on the lid when closed. No?
It should be tight, and not move around. Unfortunately I don't know of a pre 05 S in a lot that I can easily look at to confirm. Posting pictures will help. Hopefully another pre-05 owner can jump on this and help.

Old 10-13-2010, 09:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts

I know what Mikey speaks of. "My" first Jag was an 03 S type we got for my daughter 2 yrs ago. Being far more "Jag-stupid" than I am now...I didn't really notice the 1/4" fuel door gap at time of purchase. The more I filled it with fuel, the more out of place it looked to me, even though still about a 1/4" gap. The plastic catch on the door was partially broken and it was "floppy." I searched eBay and all the parts-sites I could think of + google in vain for a replacement latch. Daughter and wife took it to FTW one fine day and actually had to fuel it. Need I say it? Absolutely no regard for dash switch, neither did she bother with the lanyard in the boot for when you forgot to hit the switch getting out of the driver seat (05's don't have the alternate release lanyard in the boot) but hey! this 1/4" gap must be for to slide a delicate manicured female finger behind the door to yank it open, huh? Fortunately, the now completely broken and separated door latch plastic piece rode home with them inside the compartment resting around the fuel filler neck. I was able to fashion a new mounting plate from a bit of aluminum stock with a file and drill in about 2 hrs time. Works better than it ever has. I know I took pictures, I'll try to find 'em and post 'em. Wife's 05 needed a bit of silicon lube to close. Felt like it would break if I forced it. Did find if I could recruit another of my children from in front of the TV/Game console to push the button whilst I held the door flush, then told kid to release button, it would close and latch just fine prior to figuring out to lube it. (this would be a one-man closure if the 05 had the lanyard in the boot)

Old 10-14-2010, 06:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,360 Likes on 2,851 Posts

As an extra measure of protection, I dab a bit of white lithium grease on the plastic latch pin every couple of months or so. The assembly has been working correctly since it was replaced for the third time in July 2009. The white lithium grease may be part of the solution....

Old 10-14-2010, 12:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon89
As an extra measure of protection, I dab a bit of white lithium grease on the plastic latch pin every couple of months or so. The assembly has been working correctly since it was replaced for the third time in July 2009. The white lithium grease may be part of the solution....
Adding to Jon's suggestion..CRC has a white lithium grease spray can with a tube for tight spots available. I have used it for the latch pin as well as the steering column joints, brake pedal connections and door jambs.

Old 10-14-2010, 04:18 PM

Here's the pics mentioned the other day. Excuse the dust, certainly looks horrible with a flash!

Body mounted latch, note position of the centre hook:

Another shot of the latch, note the position of the hook:

The 'hook' flops back and forth freely, I would expect that it be spring loaded forwards.

Here is the latch on the lid:

Any ideas what's wrong with the mechanism?

Old 10-14-2010, 04:31 PM
Veteran member

It looks like the latch (actuator?) is just plain worn out. The pin on the fuel door looks fine. I would call the dealer or Nalley and find out how much a new one is. Going used is not a good idea for this part since those latches are known to fail or just wear out.

You could also pull it out and check that spring on the bottom. See if just working that spring makes it tighter..

Old 10-15-2010, 06:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts

I must say this is one of the dissapointments with this car. I've never had a car with a plastic fuel door and it's on a Jaguar too! What a flimsy piece of ... Gas attendants aren't exactly the carefull types either. Here in NJ you're not supposed to pump your own gas. We're too stupid ...

I think I'll try the silicone spray.

The trouble with grease in exposed areas like this is that it attracts dirt/grit.

Bob S.

Old 10-15-2010, 07:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Staatsof
Here in NJ you're not supposed to pump your own gas. We're too stupid ...

Bob S.
Bob,

I noticed that when I stopped at one of the rest stops on the NJ Turnpike. I went out like I normally do and grabbed the nozzle to start filling my car. The attendent asked "You're not from around here, are you?". I would have thought the VA plates indicated that.

Mike

Old 10-15-2010, 01:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts

You're assuming NJ gas station attendants can read!

Oh they let me pump my own gas on my exotic cars. But it's pretty rare that they clean your windshield. When I was a wee pup they cleaned yer windows checked the oil and the air in the tires too!

So much for full service.

I'm a bit concerned with these guys working that plastic POS (shame on your Jaguar!) gas door though. Is that an S-Type only thing or do they do it on any other models?

Bob S.

Old 10-17-2010, 09:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My latch sticks as well, but it does not look the same as the photo above. Common fault I hear. Does sound a bit cheap on a car this upmarket.

Unless it is tucked out of sight my 99 model does not have the boot lanyard either :-(

Old 10-17-2010, 03:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts

No joy on finding my pics...but it doesn't look like that's Mikey's problem anyway. My door-latch pin (Mikey's 3rd pic) was broken off. So 99's have a different solution still? ??Puzzling?? (not to mention, "disheartening")...I've seen 03's and 05's up close....and thought I could do better on a first and second try.....no idea those were at least 2nd and 3rd attempts at a functional design!

Old 10-18-2010, 04:02 PM
Default Gas filler door

My 02 latch would not secure the gas filler door. Removal and disassembly of the entire latch mechanism showed the plunger in the solenoid rusted. Dremel wire brush work and anti-seize lubricant freed the plunger's movement and cured the problem.

Old 10-18-2010, 04:17 PM

Betcha that's my problem! Can the solenoid be removed with the two small bolts visible in the photos above or does it come out from inside the trunk/boot?

Thanks

Old 10-18-2010, 08:01 PM

Everything done from the outside.Bolts were tough to get at so I loosened the screws holding the plastic around the filler pipe.Power connector is at the rear and emergency cable feeds into trunk. Once the latch is separated from the car the solenoid easily comes apart.The bullet shaped plunger inside the solenoid was frozen at the end containing the emergency cable.

Quick Reply: Gas filler door popping open