S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2023 | 05:51 PM
Veteran Member

Yes, what Sportston wrote above. I was just confused about the plastic air-intake and the 4 inlet gaskets. But that is probably right - I just do not know. On my S-Type that is all different, as I got the 2004 and 2005 (and not the 2000). I have a metal intake and 6 upper and 6 lower intake gaskets. Also, I do not know what the material of your cam covers is - mine is magnesium and that is not suitable. If you want to know more about the 2004/2005 situation:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...idation-263509

In there are lots more pictures on my 10-Febr. 2022 entry in that same thread.

Old 04-15-2023 | 06:00 PM
|

Thank you Peter. I was out looking at the induction system and it looks like to get the airbox open is a PITA. Well, that will be my Sunday project...once I get finished with the "Honey do's"

Old 04-15-2023 | 06:15 PM
Veteran Member

I had to look up PITA, but I get it now...
First - when I read "PITA" - I thought of PETA, which would indicate that you had concerns that this procedure is not an ethical treatment of your kitty-cat...
The airbox is - as I understand it - the box, which contains the engine-air-filter. This is not an issue to open. You probably mean the air-intake. I do not know the 2000-S-Type, but I would think it is all straight forward, just a lot of work.
As for the spark plugs: I take (where I can) Denso TT iridium spark plugs.

Old 04-15-2023 | 06:26 PM
|

How,'bout "filter housing"? Yes it looks like an aggravation, but oh well. My last jag, many, many years ago was a 64 Etype. It was my daily for 6 years until I restored it Compared to the S it was a tinker toy. I don't think that it took 2 of us more than 15 hours to tear it down to a shell.

Old 04-16-2023 | 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by Peter_of_Australia
Yes, what Sportston wrote above. I was just confused about the plastic air-intake and the 4 inlet gaskets. But that is probably right - I just do not know. On my S-Type that is all different, as I got the 2004 and 2005 (and not the 2000). I have a metal intake and 6 upper and 6 lower intake gaskets. Also, I do not know what the material of your cam covers is - mine is magnesium and that is not suitable. If you want to know more about the 2004/2005 situation:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...idation-263509

In there are lots more pictures on my 10-Febr. 2022 entry in that same thread.
Yes. The early ones have different cam covers which are fine and different inlet manifold gaskets. Only the lower inlet manifold is plastic (goodness knows why!). Removing the inlet manifold is such a faff you won’t want to do it often. The plastic coolant pipework beneath the throttle housing at the front of the engine is easily damaged but can be cheaply replaced with a pattern part (the little pipe snaps off if you try to remove it).

Old 04-16-2023 | 03:28 AM
Veteran Member

As it happened, I removed today the intake manifold of my 2.5L AWD X-Type.
This 2.5L engine is most probably the same as the 2.5L of the S-Type.
I have to swap the cam-cover gaskets, which are leaking.
Oh wasn't that fun - it took me all afternoon to just get the intake off.
I think I forgot all the troubles I had when I did the same on other Jags before, hence I probably should not have written above that it is straight forward: There are quite a few traps and hick-ups build in by Jaguar:

1. Many wrote before how extremely brittle the vacuum pipes are and how easy they break. I never broke any on any Jag, but I think I know what their problem is: You will most likely come across some vacuum pipes, which need to be disconnected, as they seem not to come off, they might apply forces, which break the pipes. Cause, you see, Ford/Jaguar used a "cunning" connection for many of those vacuum pipes, and if you do not know, how to tackle that, you will break it. I came across those connections before (either in S-Type or X308): So you will see a thin or even thicker vacuum pipe going somewhere into the intake or similar, and you cannot pull it out. You will see a little (most of the time black) plastic ring where the pipe goes into the intake. It does not seem like anything out of the ordinary, but it is: I first applied WD40, then I used a little screwdriver to push/hold that rind towards the intake, while I pulled and pushed and pulled (carefully) on the pipe to get it off. Without pushing that ring towards the intake, the only way to remove the pipe is by braking it.

2. After I thought I had removed all pipes, connectors, bolts and nuts, I found 4 more hidden and very difficult to access bolts and nuts not far from the firewall (so hard to see and hard to access, but I finally got it out.

3. And some good general advise: All those plastic connectors in the engine compartment are prone to breaking (due to the hot environment). Thus, each time, before you intend to open/remove on of those, heat it up just a bit with a heat-gun - this makes the plastic less prone to breaking...

And it would be a good idea to disconnect the battery before you start such a job.

Spark plugs:
After I wrote above about me throwing Denso iridium TTs in, wherever I can, I noticed that I had not ordered them for this X-Type yet, thus I placed my order. But I can actually use those, which I designated already for my other X-AWD, which I still have to do, if the just ordered ones do not arrive in time.

Thus, I checked just now on the Denso online catalogue, which I downloaded some time ago:
S and X-Type: Everything up to 3.0L (and less) gets the Denso IT20TT.

PS: I wanted to swap my coolant anyway, but even if I did not want to do that, I would have had to release the coolant anyway when I want to remove the intake on the 2.5L X-Type. I may be the same story with all X and S-Type...

Last edited by Peter_of_Australia; 04-16-2023 at 06:01 AM. Reason: added PS